PDA

View Full Version : "Riggins Practice Jersey" in MastroNet probably is not

jdr3
09-30-2006, 11:11 AM
MastroNet posts a "Riggins Redskins Practice Jersey" in their upcoming auctoin. While this is certainly a Redskins practice jersey, it is doubtful that it is a Riggins practice jersey. By the time he arrived in Washington in 1976, the Redskins had stopped using old game jerseys for practice and started using practice only jerseys that were made by Russell. These were plain burgundy or white with no numerals on the sleeves. Three photos provided show these jerseys, one of which is Riggins wearing #29, which was the first number the team issued him because Moses Denson was still on the team and using 44. Secondly, when the team did wear old gamers for practice, players were not concerned with wearing their respective game number. Note the photo of Richard Nixon at practice. It shows Bill Kilmer wearing number 88 (he used 17 in games), Brig Owens wearing 20 (he used 23 in games) and Speedy Duncan wearing 47, (he used 45 in games). I do not mean to slight Lou Lampson in any way, and do not expect him to know the time table for Redskins practice uniforms. It is a nice practice jersey and was a gamer at one point, but before Riggins arrived in Washington.

trsent
09-30-2006, 11:40 AM
Great information, what did MastroNet have to say when you emailed them with your concerns?

bigtime59
09-30-2006, 05:08 PM
JDR3:
Thanks for an informative, enlightening post. I hadn't seen those Redskins photographs (or if I had, I'd long since forgotten them) and got a kick out of them. Keep up the good work.

Mark Sutton
bigtime39@aol.com

trsent
09-30-2006, 05:11 PM
Warren, I was thinking about your attack against me a little more, and I have a question.

Do you want a forum that lets people post concerns (right or wrong) where everyone pats each other on the back and no one ever brings up the other side? Who cares what companies don't post on this forum? I asked a question of the originator of the thread what MastroNet had to say, because I was wondering why after seeing such evidence they didn't change the lot's description.

There are rules about emailing a seller in advance, and I have no problem with the issues with the jersey in question. I just couldn't imagine that after being notified of such evidence MastroNet didn't make a change.

So, if you don't like my posts, go to the User CP located on the left side of your screen and put me in your ignore list. Then you won't have to read my posts anymore and there will be no issues.

Sometimes members of this forum make me feel they want to have their own discussion about all the bad in the world, but they don't ever want to look at the other side of the spectrum. If you want a group like that, start your own forum. Eric and Chris have provided us with a nice place to discuss an industry that you and I both believe in.

You know my email address. If you have issues with me personally that you'd like to discuss please forward them to me. Your help with some items that I asked for help with a few months ago was priceless and I didn't know you felt so strongly that I am such a nuisance.

I am tired of being the bad guy on this forum all the time when I am usually being genuine and honest. Some people live too much in the past, bringing up dinners and poker. Get over it. If you do not like your own life get professional help, but do not put down my life on this forum.

I am pleased with where I am at this stage of my life. If it makes you a better person to insult me when I am being honest, genuine and sincere then you really do need help because Joel Alpert (3rd person) is not your problem. There is a much darker problem that I am relief for you to vent against.

bigtime59
09-30-2006, 05:16 PM
Warren, I was curious what MastroNet's response was to a question that, per forum rules, should be asked before posting issues.

Eric, I would like to request that Warren's post be removed. It sure looks like a personal attack to me.

Joel:
I don't waste my time emailing Steve the Faking Faker of Florida every time I bring one of his boboed jerseys to the attention of the group. If we waited for all the replies we're supposed to get, from people who have no intention whatever of replying to us, half the s*** we post about would be gone before we could post about it.

BTW, I think Warren's post should be framed. This ain't MySpace. If you want to share the details of your life outside the hobby, please get a web site! (Although, I have to admit, I find some of yours and Howard's love-fests hellafunny!)

Anyone on the forum interested in my activities outside the hobby should really get a life of their own...:D

Mark Sutton
bigtime39@aol.com

bigtime59
09-30-2006, 05:22 PM
Do you want a forum that lets people post concerns (right or wrong) where everyone pats each other on the back and no one ever brings up the other side? Who cares what companies don't post on this forum? I asked a question of the originator of the thread what MastroNet had to say, because I was wondering why after seeing such evidence they didn't change the lot's description.

Joel:
There is no "i" in "knucklehead," but..."dog bites man" is not news. "Man bites dog" is. You don't see many posts about the things that aren't effed up because--if people are doing their jobs (assuming their job isn't jersey faking criminal)--nothing effed up should get out there. A big part of what this forum ought to do is act as the canary in the coal mine--steer us away from "interesting" things outside our area of expertise that we might otherwise buy thinking it's something other than what it is...

Mark Sutton
bigtime39@aol.com

trsent
09-30-2006, 05:23 PM
Joel:
I don't waste my time emailing Steve the Faking Faker of Florida every time I bring one of his boboed jerseys to the attention of the group. If we waited for all the replies we're supposed to get, from people who have no intention whatever of replying to us, half the s*** we post about would be gone before we could post about it.

BTW, I think Warren's post should be framed. This ain't MySpace. If you want to share the details of your life outside the hobby, please get a web site! (Although, I have to admit, I find some of yours and Howard's love-fests hellafunny!)

Anyone on the forum interested in my activities outside the hobby should really get a life of their own...:D

Mark Sutton
bigtime39@aol.com

Mark, the rules of the forum state we should email the seller and give them 24 hours to reply.

I found the original post fascinating research, but again, I make it clear, I am curious why MastroNet wouldn't have changed the lot to something like "Unknown Player Practice Jersey" with that information we now know, which is why I asked in the first place.

In other news, I have not asked Howard yet if he would stand at my wedding.