PDA

View Full Version : Jersey Shadowbox - Which One?

frikativ54
02-01-2012, 02:29 AM
I have been looking at jersey shadowboxes and have narrowed it down to a couple. Firstly, there is the Homeplate Heroes jersey display case (http://www.homeplateheroes.com/Homeplate-Heroes-Jersey-Display-Case.html).

The pros are that the craftsmanship is outstanding, and I really trust their work. The cons are that perhaps the acrylic hanger would be bad for the jersey long-term. I wish the hanger could be curved more to simulate real shoulders. I'm also not sure about the way the sleeves hang and whether that would be good for the jersey.

The second display case that I have been looking at is from Freedom Display Cases (http://www.freedomdisplaycases.com/jersey-display-case.html). I like the hanger and the way the jersey is curved. However, I have read that wood could discolor the jersey over time. I also wonder if my size 46 jersey would be too big for the case.

Thoughts?

xmartyx
02-01-2012, 11:52 AM
My thoughts are you could make that first case for 1/5 of that price.

frikativ54
02-01-2012, 11:56 AM
My thoughts are you could make that first case for 1/5 of that price.

Just FYI, I'm not much of a do-it-yourself person, so I'm looking for something already made. Sadly, I have hand tremors and am pretty clumsy. Therefore, making something of my own would be a disaster waiting to happen. :o

maverick14
02-01-2012, 12:29 PM
I like the first one much better but that price seems ridiculous.
Have you looked into Caseworks?? I've bought their cases for my baseballs and like them alot.
Here is a link to a jersey case at much more reasonable price similar to what you're looking at.
https://www.caseworksfactorystore.com/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=15&products_id=307&osCsid=8b34f8a5a321050782cae43b33567049

frikativ54
02-01-2012, 12:40 PM
I like the first one much better but that price seems ridiculous.
Have you looked into Caseworks?? I've bought their cases for my baseballs and like them alot.
Here is a link to a jersey case at much more reasonable price similar to what you're looking at.
https://www.caseworksfactorystore.com/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=15&products_id=307&osCsid=8b34f8a5a321050782cae43b33567049

I don't like that one nearly as much as the two I have listed. Also, if I decide on a Homeplate Heroes case, I can wait until they have one of their 25 percent off sales.

Cubsfan4life
02-01-2012, 02:01 PM
I'd go with the first one. They are on eBay for $450 with free shipping:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/JERSEY-DISPLAY-CASE-ALL-SPORTS-JERSEYS-/130276890665?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e551b9829

primeradriver
02-01-2012, 02:28 PM
Neither.

You're from the Seattle area, correct?

Lake City Framing. They do work for sports team and celebrities. Their work is top notch and is approx $150 less than the Mounted Memories. That would include UV protected glass, double mat, team logo etc.

hdavid_27
02-01-2012, 02:34 PM
For $450 you could go to a local frame shop and have a custom frame made. you may not have the option of changing the jersey as I dont know if they could do the opening front as shown in option 1. But for sure fit would not be a problem. I am going to try to attach a photo of the jersey frame I had custom made for my autographed jersey, lets see if it works......;)

frikativ54
02-01-2012, 02:43 PM
Neither.

You're from the Seattle area, correct?

Lake City Framing. They do work for sports team and celebrities. Their work is top notch and is approx $150 less than the Mounted Memories. That would include UV protected glass, double mat, team logo etc.

Yes, I live in a suburb of Seattle. Does Lake City Framing do shadowboxes too? I feel really strongly about having the ability to take my jerseys out. I like both sides of the jersey and want the ability to switch them out.

frikativ54
02-01-2012, 02:45 PM
For $450 you could go to a local frame shop and have a custom frame made. you may not have the option of changing the jersey as I dont know if they could do the opening front as shown in option 1. But for sure fit would not be a problem. I am going to try to attach a photo of the jersey frame I had custom made for my autographed jersey, lets see if it works......;)

Thanks for the pics, but I really want to have the opportunity to switch my jersey out and display the other side. :)

primeradriver
02-01-2012, 02:59 PM
Yes, I live in a suburb of Seattle. Does Lake City Framing do shadowboxes too? I feel really strongly about having the ability to take my jerseys out. I like both sides of the jersey and want the ability to switch them out.

They may. Over the summer they framed a Jamal Crawford jersey for a Gary Payton fundraiser. It was matted and had glass on both sides. Simply flip it around.

I would ask of they do hinged, though.

frikativ54
02-01-2012, 03:07 PM
They may. Over the summer they framed a Jamal Crawford jersey for a Gary Payton fundraiser. It was matted and had glass on both sides. Simply flip it around.

I would ask of they do hinged, though.

If hinged is not their main area of expertise, than I'll go with someone else. The double-sided glass case sounds cool, but I would not want to have my jersey pinned or glued down. Just personal preference.

Does this place have a website?

primeradriver
02-01-2012, 03:39 PM
http://www.lakecitypictureframing.com/

You have to go into the store to get a better feel for what they have and offer. It's on Lake City Way. My jerseys aren't glued or pinned. With their traditional frames they keep the jerseys form with clear, fishing line, material.

frikativ54
02-01-2012, 04:32 PM
http://www.lakecitypictureframing.com/

You have to go into the store to get a better feel for what they have and offer. It's on Lake City Way. My jerseys aren't glued or pinned. With their traditional frames they keep the jerseys form with clear, fishing line, material.

Fishing line? You're making me hungry. :p In all seriousness, though, I think they have done some framing for the Mariners. They look like they do a good job, but not my style. Thanks for all the info though. :)

frikativ54
02-01-2012, 07:48 PM
I was hoping to get feedback on how the jersey would hold up in Homeplate Heroes's case, given the shape of the acrylic hanger. Do you think it will have any adverse impact on the jersey?

frikativ54
02-03-2012, 06:03 PM
Thank you to everybody who provided feedback and suggestions. After a great conversation with Homeplate Heroes, I decided to use them. They were willing to customize the case at no extra charge, so I could display a magazine photomatch with the jersey. I should have the case sometime toward the middle of next week. :)

project 4
02-03-2012, 07:11 PM
Show us pics when you put it up for display. :)

rdeversole
02-03-2012, 08:54 PM
I was hoping to get feedback on how the jersey would hold up in Homeplate Heroes's case, given the shape of the acrylic hanger. Do you think it will have any adverse impact on the jersey?

Hey Les - Sorry to not get back to you on that. I don't think it would have an adverse impact on the jersey. It's not tight or constricting and if you were worried about the acrylic material I'm sure you could easily wrap it with a cover material. I just received my 2nd case in the mail yesterday and it was packaged very well. They'll be getting more of my business!

rdeversole
02-03-2012, 09:01 PM
Actually, here's my two. Haven't had time to get them up on the wall yet or straighten out how the jerseys hang.

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p218/ryaneversole/photo-1-3.jpg

frikativ54
02-03-2012, 10:26 PM
Actually, here's my two. Haven't had time to get them up on the wall yet or straighten out how the jerseys hang.

Nice jerseys, Ryan! :D

The people at Homeplate Heroes were so great to work with. For no charge in addition to the eBay price, they are making a place for me to put my magazine cover photomatch in the corner of my shadowbox. I should have it, given Homeplate Heroes's proximity to Seattle, by next Wednesday. I'm looking forward to it. :)