PDA

View Full Version : possible photo match on a team issued hat?

quiggle28
01-31-2012, 08:24 PM
picked this up recently and was authenticated as being team issued, but was wondering if it might be game used to this photo, particularly the bottom of the "Y" with what looks to be loose threads and the pilling on the bottom right of the "N" and upper left of the "Y". thanks!

http://oi41.tinypic.com/10o2v7m.jpg

http://oi42.tinypic.com/2090fgk.jpg

quiggle28
02-01-2012, 07:44 AM
also if anyone can get screencaps from this game, that would be appreciated. thanks!

nycpropain
02-01-2012, 01:10 PM
Well a date of the game may help.

quiggle28
02-01-2012, 01:15 PM
Well a date of the game may help.

sorry about that, July 22, 2011 vs Oakland A's. thanks!

flota89
02-01-2012, 08:53 PM
Looks like a match to me.

AstrosGU
02-01-2012, 09:37 PM
I can't see some of the emblem based on the angle you took the photo of your hat, but it seems to me that it matches up in almost every spot I am able to see. Nice pick up!

http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab107/bigaj412/jeterphotomatchhat.jpg

quiggle28
02-02-2012, 11:12 AM
thanks everyone for your input, great job AstrosGU on the enlargement to see the details better. I'll try to get a different angle photo up, also could you please let me know where you were able to find this better resolution photo as I'd love to print one of these out to put away with my LOA just to verify it is indeed team issued but game used. thank you!

quiggle28
02-03-2012, 08:42 AM
was looking at some more Jeter photos from 2010 and came across this photo, does this look to be a possible photo match as well? it doesn't show the loose thread on the bottom of the "Y" but there are areas the pilling looks similar.

http://oi40.tinypic.com/6odg06.jpg

gucollector
02-07-2012, 09:54 AM
WOW, Only took a week for your new prized possession to go straight to eBay... only after taking advantage of help from forum members to match your cap to increase your profits. This crap happens all to often on here.

kprst6
02-07-2012, 10:11 AM
If you feel like you were taken advantage of, email Getty Images. Send them the link to the auction that has a picture of Jeter with the Getty Images watermark. Not saying you should or should't, just saying you can.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Steiner-Yankees-Derek-Jeter-team-issued-game-worn-hat-cap-MLB-Authenticated-/150753746802?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item23199f9f72

spartanservitto
02-07-2012, 12:11 PM
I hope people do not stop helping others. If it wasn't for the people on this forum, I would not have some of the great photomatched pieces of my collection. I pride my Alex Avila Home Run bats, My Cabby home run bat... and would not have had the opportunity to document them as so with out the wonderful help of those on this forum.

I just wanted to thanks and I hope others arent apprehensive.

-Tony

maverick14
02-07-2012, 01:12 PM
I hope people do not stop helping others. If it wasn't for the people on this forum, I would not have some of the great photomatched pieces of my collection. I pride my Alex Avila Home Run bats, My Cabby home run bat... and would not have had the opportunity to document them as so with out the wonderful help of those on this forum.

I just wanted to thanks and I hope others arent apprehensive.

-Tony

I second this. My pink Rob Cano bat that Kyle photmatched for me is my favorite bat by far in my collection.
If not for Kyle's help I'd be at a loss on how to get an amazing HD photomatch on my own.
Hopefully people coming on here looking for photomatches just to turn a profit doesn't ruin it for those of us that seek help just to enjoy our collections.

quiggle28
02-07-2012, 02:00 PM
this past weekend I just purchased a substantially high end item that makes keeping both this hat and this new item not possible. when I solicited opinions last week on a photo match, this other item was not available and my intention was originally to keep this hat. I appreciate the members and community and do not want to give the impression that I was seeking your assistance in order to sell this at a higher price. However, I will not sell the hat without noting that is was used, with a photo match, in order to prevent a buyer from accusing me of adding the use, since it was a team issued labeled hat.

MGHProductions
02-07-2012, 04:56 PM
Im interested in the hat if you want to sell it
Matt
Bub13@aol.com

GameUsedBats
02-07-2012, 06:29 PM
Is there a #2 written on the underside of the brim?

- John

yanks12025
02-07-2012, 08:48 PM
Wow... Goes from asking $2,000 to $3,000. Just shows it was all able making a buck and was never going to stay in your collection.

xpress34
02-07-2012, 10:16 PM
Wow... Goes from asking $2,000 to $3,000. Just shows it was all able making a buck and was never going to stay in your collection.

+1

It was closed this morning as 'no longer available' for the $2,000 price tag and then re-listed later in the day with a $3,000 price tag.

thanks everyone for your input, great job AstrosGU on the enlargement to see the details better. I'll try to get a different angle photo up, also could you please let me know where you were able to find this better resolution photo as I'd love to print one of these out to put away with my LOA just to verify it is indeed team issued but game used. thank you!

(read) Where can I find a better res photo for my listing so I can ask for more money for my hat.

I appreciate the members and community and do not want to give the impression that I was seeking your assistance in order to sell this at a higher price.

(read) But now that I have Hi-Res photos, I'll re-list it for $1k more than my original price.

Not really sure how you thought this would look after closing and re-listing for more money AFTER getting Hi_Res images to validate Game Use, but as Occam's Razor states, "The simplest solution/explanation is usually the correct solution/explanation."

onlyalbert
02-07-2012, 10:24 PM
Hey man, it's your hat....do with it what you want. But I have a feeling you may not get much help with any further requests here. If I was the owner of this hat and it sold for that much $$$ I would definitely be giving a nice kickback to the "helpers"! You guys that helped him out......hats off....no pun.

sportscentury
02-08-2012, 04:32 AM
This thread reminded me of the Gasol jersey Victor/quiggle28 hyped on GUU and then flipped on eBay:

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=25041

This was a frustrating one for me since I wanted the jersey! :)

But what is more impressive is that somehow quiggle28 was able to register with GUU with only his initials -- "V L". I know I've said this time and again on these boards, but I sure wish GUU had some kind of identity verification system. But I digress.

Very nice hat, Victor -- you should be able to make some good money on it. Congrats!

frikativ54
02-08-2012, 08:43 AM
Not really sure how you thought this would look after closing and re-listing for more money AFTER getting Hi_Res images to validate Game Use, but as Occam's Razor states, "The simplest solution/explanation is usually the correct solution/explanation."

+1

quiggle28
02-09-2012, 04:52 PM
to be honest with the community, I'm just throwing a price out there to see if it might sell for that, truth of the matter is it probably won't and the most I'll be lucky is to break even. I really enjoy the hat and wish I could keep it but as mentioned earlier, I must sell this now to help pay off a substantial amount of another amazing game used piece that I recently acquired. again, I hope there are no hard feelings among community members as I enjoy my interactions with you all. when this new item arrives and I post it in the pick-ups, I hope most of you will understand my decision to sell this piece. Reid I'm sorry we couldn't finalize the transaction on the Gasol jersey but I hope you are enjoying the David Lee one :)

sportscentury
02-10-2012, 06:13 AM
to be honest with the community, I'm just throwing a price out there to see if it might sell for that, truth of the matter is it probably won't and the most I'll be lucky is to break even. I really enjoy the hat and wish I could keep it but as mentioned earlier, I must sell this now to help pay off a substantial amount of another amazing game used piece that I recently acquired. again, I hope there are no hard feelings among community members as I enjoy my interactions with you all. when this new item arrives and I post it in the pick-ups, I hope most of you will understand my decision to sell this piece. Reid I'm sorry we couldn't finalize the transaction on the Gasol jersey but I hope you are enjoying the David Lee one :)

It's tough to finalize a transaction when the seller won't respond to the buyer's queries. Anyway, is there a chance you can change your GUU profile so that your full name and not just your initials "V L" are listed? Everyone else has provided his/her full name.

quiggle28
02-10-2012, 07:17 AM
It's tough to finalize a transaction when the seller won't respond to the buyer's queries. Anyway, is there a chance you can change your GUU profile so that your full name and not just your initials "V L" are listed? Everyone else has provided his/her full name.

I believe this thread now has run its course as demonstrated by these off tangent subjects being broached. Those who continue to hold a grudge and believe my intentions were initially ill to begin with in seeking assistance of a photo match for the purposes of flipping the hat, so be it - I can't change your minds nor do your opinions really matter in the grand scheme of things. In the end of the day, what does matter is that this item was determined, with the assistance of this community, to be game used, so whatever price it sells for, even if higher than what I initially paid, at least the buyer will have a full peace of mind in getting their money's worth this hat is legitimately game worn and not an unused piece doctored or manipulated to have an appearance of such.

quiggle28
02-10-2012, 07:54 AM
Reid, I am somewhat disappointed that, even with several smooth and successful transactions between us, you continue to define our game used relationship with the Gasol jersey that did not come to fruition three years ago. If you recall correctly, and I know I do, you and I were on the verge of completing the transaction. Then, instead of sending your offer for me to accept on the Ebay listing, you had asked me to create another private listing instead for you. I saw no reason in doing so and you declined to continue forward with finalizing the transaction. There was extensive correspondence between us, so to state that the "seller won't respond to the buyer's queries" appears to be a misrepresentation.

sportscentury
02-10-2012, 08:56 PM
Reid, I am somewhat disappointed that, even with several smooth and successful transactions between us, you continue to define our game used relationship with the Gasol jersey that did not come to fruition three years ago. If you recall correctly, and I know I do, you and I were on the verge of completing the transaction. Then, instead of sending your offer for me to accept on the Ebay listing, you had asked me to create another private listing instead for you. I saw no reason in doing so and you declined to continue forward with finalizing the transaction. There was extensive correspondence between us, so to state that the "seller won't respond to the buyer's queries" appears to be a misrepresentation.

Geez, I'm so very sorry to have disappointed you, Victor. Anyway, are you going to provide your real/full name to GUU? Registering with your initials "V L" is a GUU rule violation, which is somewhat disappointing.

sportscentury
02-10-2012, 09:04 PM
I believe this thread now has run its course as demonstrated by these off tangent subjects being broached. Those who continue to hold a grudge and believe my intentions were initially ill to begin with in seeking assistance of a photo match for the purposes of flipping the hat, so be it - I can't change your minds nor do your opinions really matter in the grand scheme of things. In the end of the day, what does matter is that this item was determined, with the assistance of this community, to be game used, so whatever price it sells for, even if higher than what I initially paid, at least the buyer will have a full peace of mind in getting their money's worth this hat is legitimately game worn and not an unused piece doctored or manipulated to have an appearance of such.

Good to know.

xpress34
02-11-2012, 12:51 AM
I can't change your minds nor do your opinions really matter in the grand scheme of things. In the end of the day, what does matter is that this item was determined, with the assistance of this community, to be game used...

What hypocrisy in this statement...

The board's 'assistance' as you put it IS 'our opinions' on whether it is a match or not...

So actually, our opinions DO matter in the grand 'scheme' (great word choice by the way) of things...

quiggle28
02-11-2012, 07:51 AM
What hypocrisy in this statement...

The board's 'assistance' as you put it IS 'our opinions' on whether it is a match or not...

So actually, our opinions DO matter in the grand 'scheme' (great word choice by the way) of things...

The community's opinions on the hat, of course, are important. Your opinions on me, though, aren't. Take it for what it's worth.

xpress34
02-11-2012, 11:42 AM
Your opinions on me, though, aren't. Take it for what it's worth.

Quiggle or V L or whatever your name is...

For what it's worth, the ONLY thing that really matters at the end of the day in this hobby is YOUR REPUTATION.

When you throw out comments stating that you don't care about people's opinions of you, then you apparently don't care about the reputation you are creating in this hobby either.

You may take that - for what it's worth.

GoTigers
02-11-2012, 12:51 PM
Threads like this make me sick. He can buy and sell what he wants, if you don't like it then don't do business with him. Bashing this guy for making a buck on an item is a joke. He doesn't need to justify himself to anyone on this board. Its none of your buisness why he needs/wants to sell. And suggesting that he needs to (re)distribute the profit among those who helped when he just asked for an opinion?

jppopma
02-11-2012, 01:42 PM
Jimmy, While he can do what he wants, alot of members on here try to help and educate others. Part of helping others is explaining the appearances and consequences of their actions.

Some people make things personal, and as a result some members get bashed for simply trying to help and warn others before they make big mistakes. Makes you think twice about going out of your way to help someone out...

Like Smitty said, reputation is everything in this hobby. Nobody needs to give reasons why they chose not to business with anybody else. Likewise, burning bridges to prevent receiving future assistance is dangerous to do too (I wonder how many people may go so far as to ignore members they don't trust or care to see).

The reason that people get upset about this type of activity is that one person can ruin it for everyone else. The drama pushes good members away and the feeling of being used will make guys that are good at photomatching not want to help anyone. It deteriorates the foundation of our forum.

For Jimmy...would your opinion and sickness change if you were seeking help to photomatch an item and found out that because of quiggle...people are not willing to help anybody (you in this instance) out or are no longer posting on here?

GoTigers
02-11-2012, 03:17 PM
My opinion does not change.. If someone came on here and said, "I need help photomatching something because I need to make a buck". I'd still help and not feel taken advantage of or question if the guy was a "true collector", as many do on the forum. And if nobody wants to help, just out of the goodness of their heart, I'd simply offer a finders fee of $50.. As I've done in the past. There are countless reasons why someone may need to sell, and as long as they are not lying or being misleading I have no problems. If it wasn't for "true collectors" selling items for profit I wouldn't have half my collection.

GoTigers
02-11-2012, 03:27 PM
But.. Getting back on point, I'm not so sure this is a photomatch anyways. The high res image from Getty shows the location and number of stitches in relation to the logo. If they match up I would say it is photomatch.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if he got more help and responses if he did mention he wanted to sell the item up front. All interested parties would race to match the item and be the first with an offer.

GoTigers
02-11-2012, 03:38 PM
And I was talking about the stitches in the center seem of the hat. Not the actual stitches of the "NY"

otismalibu
02-11-2012, 03:49 PM
I vote for a Photo Match section being added to the forum.

A single place to browse anything from obvious matches to circled blurs.

Also, an easy way to keep track of the members who repeatedly seem to need help finding free visual content for their eBay auctions.

metsbats
02-11-2012, 05:12 PM
quiggle28

Please contact me regarding your GUF login status.

Thanks
David

metsbats86@aol.com

xpress34
02-12-2012, 10:08 AM
Threads like this make me sick. He can buy and sell what he wants, if you don't like it then don't do business with him. Bashing this guy for making a buck on an item is a joke. He doesn't need to justify himself to anyone on this board. Its none of your buisness why he needs/wants to sell. And suggesting that he needs to (re)distribute the profit among those who helped when he just asked for an opinion?

Jimmy -

Not bashing you, but the only reason I posted in this thread was to point out inconsistencies in quiggles' statements.

He asked for help with a photo match - innocent enough.

When he placed it up for sale on eBay, he irked some members who thought he had 'taken advantage' of the kindness of board members who helped with hi-res photos.

My issue is the fact that at least one member made an offer here to buy the hat - and id doesn't appear that he even got a response back - the hat went to the 'Bay.

As soon as the better hi-res image was posted, the eBay posting was ended by quiggles - it didn't expire - and then he reposted it for $1,000 more... all the while saying he never asked for the phototmatch to up the value of his hat...

Then, when people started getting antsy about the whole issue, he basically said thanks for the photo help, but screw all of you I don't care about your opinions - it's not your business.

And I'll be the 1st to admit, it's not anyone's business what he buys and sells, but the timing is suspect at best when he comes here asking for help and as soon as he gets it, the item hits eBay - he gets a better photomatch and UPS the price on eBay and then he comes here and basically says go screw to everyone on the board.

I'll repeat myself again - in this hobby, Reputation is Everything and without a doubt, quiggles tarnished his on this board.

How could he have handled it differently?

If he was even considering selling, he could have mentioned that when asking for photo help.

If the selling idea truly came after the fact, he could have mentioned here - after he received help from the board - that he was considering selling.

There are plenty of guys here who probably would have been interested (he had at least one public offer in this thread for it) and it wouldn't have the appearance that it now has that he did an end around to sell it after getting photo matches.

And then to decide to tell everyone that 'their opinions don't matter to him'... let's just throw some more gas on the fire for good measure.

Just my .02

-Smitty

frikativ54
02-12-2012, 10:40 AM
Looks like Quiggle got the boot. While I understand why some are frustrated, there's no rule that says that if one asks for help with photomatching, the person receiving it can't sell the item.

metsbats
02-12-2012, 02:14 PM
Looks like Quiggle got the boot. While I understand why some are frustrated, there's no rule that says that if one asks for help with photomatching, the person receiving it can't sell the item.

Frik,

quiggle was banned temporarily having two GUF login accounts.

quiggle and quiggle28

This suspension will be for a period of 1 week.

If he wants to be reinstated he will have to re-register and provide a valid name.

If anyone wants to ask for photo matching help on this forum, receives it and subsequently sells the item it is not a rule violation.

David

metsbats
02-12-2012, 02:27 PM
The direction of this thread has gone way off as to add any value to the hobby and collecting in general. If it continues to go in that direction we will have to closed it.

That said, my personal opinion regarding this situation is we are all here to help and we cannot control nor probably should care what someone will do with something in their "collection" after they receive this help.

People are free to do what they want with their items.

If you feel a person is going to try to sell a item for a premium after they photo-match it and you don't agree with it don't offer an opinion.

Word gets around fast and sooner or later we get to know who the real collectors are verses the speculators out to make a quick buck.

GoTigers
02-12-2012, 02:46 PM
I probably should have been more clear in my first post, I wrote it while waiting in the car, so let me explain. I completely agree that quiggly didn't handle this in the best way. I don't know the guy and have never dealt with him, so I'm not sticking up for him. If anyone feels he was misleading or not telling the truth, then I dont blame them for being upset. As I said before I don't have a problem with anyone selling anything as long as they are up front and truthful. My issue is with people demonizing a profit, or asking for a "justifiable" reason whenever they see an item for sale.

As far as asking for help on this forum.. I think the people here are great about helping new collectors learn the ropes as well as sharing information among long time collectors, and I hope that continues. Anyone who takes advantage of other peoples kindness, or does not handle things well will surely find their posts unanswered, as they should. Personally I'm a fan of offering money or collectables for any favors that I feel will take considerable time from other people.

Anyways, I'm not the kind of guy to get into internet fights so I hope nobody felt like I was calling them out. Baseball is just around the corner.

nycpropain
02-13-2012, 12:51 PM
I wonder why ebay pulled the auction?