PDA

View Full Version : Flea Market Find

delhommejake17
01-27-2012, 09:54 AM
Was at a local flea market this past saturday here in NC in the pouring rain...and I saw this old jersey hanging with a bunch of other clothes...Upon closer examination...I saw the Wilson tagging and was shocked to find a game worn jersey, wondering how it got to a flea market. Was totally excited and glad to hand the hispanic lady the 8.00 asking price...Upon further investigation...It was Jerry Reed jersey , who was from here in North Carolina...Thought it was amazing find for dirt cheap....not sure of value....but shows good game use and repair on back.....Looks 100% authentic...just wondering value...

TNTtoys
01-27-2012, 10:01 AM
For $8.00, this is a very nice find! I'm thinking it's a Minor League jersey, but that's well worth the money spent.

For it to be a Major League jersey, I would expect to see the name sewn into the collar and a name/nameplate on the back of the jersey. Does this jersey show evidence that both were once there but have been stripped?

delhommejake17
01-27-2012, 10:19 AM
No evidence of name plate ever being on there...just a repair on left side on back....Jerry Reed was #35 for the Philadelphia Philles in last part of 1982....somehow his jersey made it to flea market..I think he was from Bryson City NC...

TNTtoys
01-27-2012, 10:53 AM
No evidence of name plate ever being on there...somehow his jersey made it to flea market

I don't think this is what you think it is.

No major league jerseys would have been worn on field without a name on back sewn onto a nameplate. If there is no evidence that any were ever there, I would have to say there is no evidence it is game used MLB jersey worn by Jerry Reed.

ironmanfan
01-27-2012, 11:07 AM
The (AA) Reading Phillies wore this same style jersey during this time period. While Reed didn't pitch in Reading in 1982, this could be from a Minor League ST game the next year or so.....As TNT stated, still a steal at the price paid......

TNTtoys
01-27-2012, 11:16 AM
Here is a sample front and back of a MLB Phillies jersey of this period.

both-teams-played-hard
01-27-2012, 11:40 AM
Nice jersey. Did you find it at the State Fairgrounds in Raleighwood? That's my old stomping grounds.

I found a gamer at a flea market, once. It's a great feeling.

delhommejake17
01-27-2012, 11:47 AM
Took some close up pictures of repair on back...its on the left side ..and now that i look closer the right side above the 5 has some damage..not sure...but looks like name plate has been removed...thanks for the help and photos...

delhommejake17
01-27-2012, 11:54 AM
Found it around Charlotte.....Just figured it had to be Jerry Reed since he was #35 in Phillies in 1982 and he is also from here in NC...Not a real valuable piece , but exciting for us collectors to know stuff is still out there

both-teams-played-hard
01-27-2012, 12:10 PM
That hole on the back looks like a nameplate was removed. There is obviously enough room for a NOB. It's sometimes

packerfan
01-27-2012, 05:34 PM
Hold the jersey up to a light and see if you can spot any stitch holes across the back where a nameplate would have been.

delhommejake17
01-28-2012, 11:27 AM
It definitely shows stitching damage where name plate...why would it have been removed.....thanks for any input

2000mvpfan
01-28-2012, 11:53 AM
Would have been removed for recycling down to the minor leagues...