PDA

View Full Version : Cardinals WS jerseys at auction

onlyalbert
01-22-2012, 10:47 PM
Any forum members take any of these home? The prices were way higher than I thought they would be.

nickacs
01-23-2012, 10:26 AM
I was tempted to make a bid on 1 or 2 last week, but I noticed that all the "WS" lots never described which game(s) the jerseys were in, nor said/showed the MLB authentication #.

So, I emailed them off the MLB auction website and here's what I got back below. When I went back the auction lots, never does it say "game worn for WS", as these were just regular season "game worn" jerseys with the WS path applied. Whew, boy am I glad I didn't bid!! I don't think people knew this and that's why the bidding ended up so high. Oops!

"For the STL Cardinals World Series Jerseys up for auction are authenicated as "Team issued" not "Game Used". We do say that they were team issued and indicate some wear on them as they were worn during the season and the patches were applied for the World Series. We cannot and do not attest that they were worn in the WS. The freese Jersey in Game 6 was a home jersey and the one on auction is road jersey.

Regards,

Raymond

Auctions Support"

nickacs
01-23-2012, 10:31 AM
Grrr, I hate no Edit button!!
Here's the MLB reply that's easier to read than my previous post :)

"For the STL Cardinals World Series Jerseys up for auction are authenicated as
"Team issued" not "Game Used". We do say that they were team issued and indicate
some wear on them as they were worn during the season and the patches were
applied for the World Series. We cannot and do not attest that they were worn in
the WS. The freese Jersey in Game 6 was a home jersey and the one on auction is road jersey.

Regards,

Raymond

Auctions Support"

legaleagle92481
01-23-2012, 10:43 AM
What else is new win or even get to World Series sew some patches on regular season jerseys, fool the hardcore fans/team collectors make more money. The Yankees did it in 09, the Rangers did it in 10 so the Cards are just continuing the streak.

onlyalbert
01-23-2012, 11:32 AM
I can say that the Carp jersey was worn in the nlcs game 3 and the ws game 1. Had lots of photomatches on it. And another players jersey was matched to ws game 3 and 4 by a forum member. I promised not to divulge the player so the forum member can chime in if he so chooses.

gorilla777
01-23-2012, 12:18 PM
I can say that the Carp jersey was worn in the nlcs game 3 and the ws game 1. Had lots of photomatches on it. And another players jersey was matched to ws game 3 and 4 by a forum member. I promised not to divulge the player so the forum member can chime in if he so chooses.

Onlyalbert,

It didn't seem they had the best pictures of these Cards WS jerseys in the listings, so what were you able to photo match on the Carpenter?

So if sure match, if the winner of that jersey lurking around here, email me if you could, thanks

Ben
bent_714 at yahoo dot com

onlyalbert
01-23-2012, 12:31 PM
Onlyalbert,

It didn't seem they had the best pictures of these Cards WS jerseys in the listings, so what were you able to photo match on the Carpenter?

So if sure match, if the winner of that jersey lurking around here, email me if you could, thanks

Ben
bent_714 at yahoo dot com

Ben, if you look at the jersey pic in the auction look at the placement of the number 2 and 9 and how the 9 curves back in at the tail. Also, the biggest tell is the tuft of black thread at the top of the bat where the left panel meets the right panel. In the auction pic you can see this tuft and it is pointing upward but in the photos it is in dif. positions. I've also looked at the game tapes and it is quite obvious. Also, you can see how the bats and the R and D are offset a bit when the jersey is worn and flat.

Birdbats
01-23-2012, 12:49 PM
What else is new win or even get to World Series sew some patches on regular season jerseys, fool the hardcore fans/team collectors make more money. The Yankees did it in 09, the Rangers did it in 10 so the Cards are just continuing the streak.

We discussed the conspiracy theories in the 2012 Cardinals Winter Warm Up thread: http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=47863&page=7

Don't think the team was sewing patches on jerseys to fool the fans/collectors. And we all know that MLB can't authenticate anything as "game used" unless they see it in use... so the best MLB can say is that they're "team issued" when they're authenticated after the fact.

The team was selling "non-star" jerseys at the Winter Warm Up for $325... thought that was a good deal then, and after seeing the auction prices, I think it's an even better deal now. Very happy with my Nick Punto home jersey.

onlyalbert
01-23-2012, 12:56 PM
We discussed the conspiracy theories in the 2012 Cardinals Winter Warm Up thread: http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=47863&page=7

Don't think the team was sewing patches on jerseys to fool the fans/collectors. And we all know that MLB can't authenticate anything as "game used" unless they see it in use... so the best MLB can say is that they're "team issued" when they're authenticated after the fact.

The team was selling "non-star" jerseys at the Winter Warm Up for $325... thought that was a good deal then, and after seeing the auction prices, I think it's an even better deal now. Very happy with my Nick Punto home jersey.

Jeff, have you checked the auth. number on your Punto? I checked a Cruz home jersey at the WWU, but it did not have any info in the system yet.

mbenga28
01-23-2012, 01:43 PM
does anyone have a listing of the final prices and jerseys that were auctioned off?

onlyalbert
01-23-2012, 03:13 PM
does anyone have a listing of the final prices and jerseys that were auctioned off?

Craig $2241
Molina $3010
Berkman $4380
Freese $5210
Furcal $1145
Wainwright $601
McGwire $895
Garcia $821
Holliday $2490
Motte $1760
Carpenter $5220

jscott0688
01-23-2012, 07:25 PM

Can't really expect much more from the Carp jersey considering his game 7 jersey is in Cooperstown.

calgrad1999
01-23-2012, 07:29 PM
Hello

Could anyone photomatch the Allen Craig? I couldn't find anything. It seemed to risky to bid, since I wasn't sure what exactly was being offered.