PDA

View Full Version : Maybe the NFL should skip the regular season

legaleagle92481
01-17-2012, 10:17 AM
Well the Packers and Saints are out, what were the odds a month ago that neither would make NFC Championship Game? Last year the Falcons, Saints and Pats (two one seeds, one of which won 14 games! and the then defending Super Bowl champs) failed to win a single playoff game and the Pack won it all as a six seed coming off a 10-6 season. In 2008, the Cards made the Super Bowl at 9-7. The 2007 Giants won the Super Bowl as a six seed. This year the 8-8 Giants have a very real chance to go all the way. Besides individual records does the regular season even matter anymore?

BULBUS
01-17-2012, 01:00 PM
The Giants were 9-7 this year. Last year they were 10-6 and didnt even make the playoffs.

That being said, with all sports, it seems like the team that gets hot wins it all.

kellsox
01-17-2012, 01:40 PM
In my opinion even individual stats and records mean very little in the NFL- the league is all about championships.

sox83cubs84
01-17-2012, 10:22 PM
I'm just hoping for Patriots and Giants losses next weekend, just so that the ESPN Mothership doesn't turn the Super Bowl into a one-team event, coveragewise.

Dave Miedema

kellsox
01-18-2012, 09:12 AM
I'm just hoping for Patriots and Giants losses next weekend, just so that the ESPN Mothership doesn't turn the Super Bowl into a one-team event, coveragewise.

Dave Miedema

Yea- who would want to see a rematch of one of the better recent super bowls between 2 of the hottest teams in football. That would be terrible....

sox83cubs84
01-18-2012, 05:37 PM
Yea- who would want to see a rematch of one of the better recent super bowls between 2 of the hottest teams in football. That would be terrible....

I wouldn't..give me teams like the Niners and Ravens, both of whom haven't been there for several years and neither of whom gets overemphasized in ESPN reporting.

Dave Miedema

WadeInBmore
01-18-2012, 05:44 PM
It would be the Harrbaugh bowl...pitting two brothers against each other for the championship! It would be an instant classic!!!!!

Wade

dwn1955
01-23-2012, 12:53 AM
It's all about getting hot at the right time. Congrats to Coughlin and Company. Even Boomer Esiason stated after the game that if Eli directs a win in two weeks he belongs in the HALL, period. Boomer was also disappointed to see Harbaugh not willing to speak to Fox Network after the game. Two fumbles basically cost you the game, too bad that's the way it goes. Go GIANTS!!:)

legaleagle92481
01-23-2012, 01:55 AM
It's all about getting hot at the right time. Congrats to Coughlin and Company. Even Boomer Esiason stated after the game that if Eli directs a win in two weeks he belongs in the HALL, period. Boomer was also disappointed to see Harbaugh not willing to speak to Fox Network after the game. Two fumbles basically cost you the game, too bad that's the way it goes. Go GIANTS!!:)

Eli in the Hall is a reach. The Super Bowl is a team effort. Eli is the biggest part of the team but he has not consistently played at a Hall of Fame level. I think he needs three to get in. The same can be said for Big Ben. Right now Brady, Peyton and Brett are the locks from this era. Brees and Rodgers look to be well on there way with some viewing Brees as already a lock. All have won at least one Super Bowl and have major individual achievements. Brady has two mvps, two super bowl mvps, single season TD record and five super bowl appearances. Peyton has for MVPs, a Super Bowl MVP and two Super Bowl appearances. Brett has two Super Bowl appearances, one ring, three MVPs and holds almost every career passing record. Brees has a Super Bowl MVP, a ring and the single season passing yardage record to go with video game like stats. Rodgers has a Super Bowl MVP, a ring and likely an MVP for this year to go with his video game like numbers and he is only like 28. These guys are all clearly ahead of Ben and Eli. Kurt Warner also likely is ahead of them after all he won two MVPs, led two different teams to a total of three Super Bowls with one ring and one Super Bowl MVP and has three or four years of eye popping stats. Ben and Eli have zero regular season MVPs, zero first or second team all pro nods and neither has ever been considered even among the top three QBs in the league and most years neither even makes the Pro Bowl and neither has achieved anything noteworthy individually other than Eli's Super Bowl MVP (alot of Super Bowl MVPs even QBs are not in the Hall). Great players yes, Hall of Famers unlikely. To get Hall voters to vote in the seventh and eighth best QBs of their own era will take something extraordinary. In my mind for both its three rings.

dwn1955
02-05-2012, 11:29 PM
Pretty boy Brady goes down again!!! Thank you Tom, Eli and Company!;)