PDA

View Full Version : Peter Neukirch - Chicago Cubs Minor League Player - Late 1940's

xpress34
01-12-2012, 12:22 AM
My job as a Field Supervisor / Damage Manager for a Cable TV Contractor brings me in touch with people from all walks of life everyday.

I have met Plumbers, Doctors, Dentist, Students, Celebrities, etc but today was a kind of extraordinary day... the day I met Peter Neukirch.

I was at the Neukirch's house to replace a cable box when we got talking sports and I mentioned I LOVE baseball... Mrs. Neukirch mentioned that her husband Peter use to play ball and brought out a picture to show me:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v738/xpress34/Neukirch.jpg

Peter went on to tell me about his short career in Minor League Baseball - competing against players returning from WWII as well as military guys who were trying out to play ball. He mentioned he wasn't a very big guy - 5' 9" and 170 lbs - so he didn't last long.

Here's his info from Baseball Reference:

Peter Neukirch (http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=neukir001pet)

He was born in 1928 in Berlin, Germany and came to the United States when he was very young. He fell in love with baseball - even though his parents didn't understand the game - and played it whenever he could, eventually embarking on a 3 year Minor League Career trying to make it to the show.

Although that dream never got fulfilled, he shared with me his favorite story from his playing days...

He said at one of his earliest games, his mother told him she would come see him play as they were playing near his parents home. The game began and his mother wasn't there, but it wasn't long before she made her presence known. She entered the field through Center Field, walked past the CF, past the 2nd Baseman, went past 1st base and found herself a seat - in the opposing team's dugout!. She stayed for a couple of innings and then abruptly left the way she came - past 1B, past 2B, past the CF and out through Center Field! Peter said he wanted to crawl into a hole he was so mortified! The Umps had to stop the game when she arrived and when she left!

When he got home, he asked why she never waved at him... she told him she couldn't tell which one was him since they were all wearing the same uniform!.

We chatted for a bit and I offered to leave my name and number in case they ever got a copy of the photo and Mrs Neukirch told me they had a couple of copies and kindly offered me one which Peter then signed.

Neat item, great story and one of the best service calls I've ever had the pleasure of making.

Hope you all enjoyed!

- Smitty