PDA

View Full Version : To Forum Moderators

CollectGU
01-10-2012, 08:17 PM
With regards to raising the limit in the classified section, this has been discussed and requested ad nauseum on here by the members, and every thread is immediately locked and we are told that there will be no change, but we are NEVER given the reasoning behind the decisions as to why the request of so many members is being ignored.

Can the forum moderators please chime in as to the discussions have taken place on this topic as a group (if any) and the reasoning behind ignoring the request, and why it is continually denied?

Thanks,
Dave

yanks12025
01-10-2012, 08:23 PM
1...2...3... And Blocked/Deleted.

They are just going to say they dont have to give a reason.

joelsabi
01-10-2012, 09:55 PM
With regards to raising the limit in the classified section, this has been discussed and requested ad nauseum on here by the members, and every thread is immediately locked and we are told that there will be no change, but we are NEVER given the reasoning behind the decisions as to why the request of so many members is being ignored.

Can the forum moderators please chime in as to the discussions have taken place on this topic as a group (if any) and the reasoning behind ignoring the request, and why it is continually denied?

Thanks,
Dave

When you do an Advanced Search for the term “limit” you will find three separate threads discussing the $500 limit. Here is a reply from Chris:

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showpost.php?p=209871&postcount=7

In this forum, Game Used Universe will have no involvement in the evaluations of items or the transactions whatsoever nor will Game Used Universe moderate this forum. If there are any problems with transactions they will need to be resolved independent of Game Used Universe. To prevent any major problems from occurring, the sale price limit for items in this classified section is $500.

Specifically, since we were not going to be monitoring items in this section for legitimacy, etc, we were limiting it to $500 to prevent any major problems from occurring.

Before anyone starts a new thread about a GUU Transaction Platform, as mentioned in a link from the above post, Chris requests that “any questions about the details of the platform, you can contact us directly or wait for the future announcements as they will be providing additional details.” If you are not certain, “Contacting us directly” does not mean starting a new post on the forum.

On a positive note, we want to give appreciation for the members who have taken the time to email the Moderators using the "Report Post" function for C2C threads which have mentioned trade only, no mention of price, or are over the $500 limit. Giving us the heads-up prevents many abuses of the C2C section and saves time to moderate other sections of the forum.

legaleagle92481
01-10-2012, 09:56 PM
Why should they change it? They are gaining nothing. The C to Cs are one of the few places besides Craigslist where its free to sell. Be grateful that they don't charge fees for what they have.

joelsabi
01-10-2012, 10:07 PM
Moderators, when are you going to respond to my three emails about the fake users and attackers breaking rules on this forum that I have sent in the last 24 hours?

Joel,

Let me read your emails now.

I am locking this thread in an hour or earlier if this goes off topic any further. Please use the email system as Joel has done to address problems.

Thanks

Joel

CollectGU
01-10-2012, 10:13 PM
Why should they change it? They are gaining nothing.

Because the forum members are asking for it ad nauseum, and I don't see the downside to it. There is no more or less liability to the forum by increasing the limit. The hockey forum does it without problems. Why not satisfy the requests of the majority of forum members if it doen't hurt the forum in any way. I don't understand the logic...

Dave

CollectGU
01-10-2012, 10:30 PM
Before anyone starts a new thread about a GUU Transaction Platform, as mentioned in a link from the above post, Chris requests that “any questions about the details of the platform, you can contact us directly or wait for the future announcements as they will be providing additional details.” If you are not certain, “Contacting us directly” does not mean starting a new post on the forum.

Joel,

The transaction platform was always given as the major reason the c to c limit was not going to be incresed, but that was 2 years ago.......

Also, what are your thoughts as a moderator to increasing it, for it , against it, or indifferent and why?

Thanks,
Dave

yanks12025
01-10-2012, 10:31 PM
Cause they don't care about us. It's the Occupy Wall Street movement, we are the 99% and their the 1%.

90% of the stuff they have done is to better them, and not about the forum.

Dewey2007
01-10-2012, 10:36 PM
What are you talking about? The forum has a new running clock which I think is a nice addition!

Cause they don't care about us. It's the Occupy Wall Street movement, we are the 99% and their the 1%.

R. C. Walker
01-10-2012, 10:38 PM
Just curious . . . . Any examples of "over $500" items which collectors are sitting on out there?

yanks12025
01-10-2012, 10:38 PM
What are you talking about? The forum has a new running clock which I think is a nice addition!

I not sure either... lol Sure someone gets my point..

But I wonder how long the clock will stay.

yanks12025
01-10-2012, 10:42 PM
Just curious . . . . Any examples of "over $500" items which collectors are sitting on out there?

I've seen a handful of posts with items over $500, but deleted quickly. Most of the time, I think they were basketball jerseys and acouple bats.

CollectGU
01-10-2012, 10:42 PM

My wife just told told me "stop laughing out loud, the kids are sleeping! I'm wondering what we are counting up to anyway since the start of the "event"...oh well i just took my own thread off topic!

Dave

Titans74
01-10-2012, 10:47 PM
Because the forum members are asking for it ad nauseum, and I don't see the downside to it. There is no more or less liability to the forum by increasing the limit. The hockey forum does it without problems. Why not satisfy the requests of the majority of forum members if it doen't hurt the forum in any way. I don't understand the logic...

Dave

Link to gockey forum please?

Have always wondered where the hockey collectors are.

joelsabi
01-10-2012, 10:49 PM
My wife just told told me "stop laughing out loud, the kids are sleeping! I'm wondering what we are counting up to anyway since the start of the "event"...oh well i just took my own thread off topic!

Dave

Dave,

As usual, this topic go off topic for your amusement. I was prepared to share my personal thought on this topic but I see it is not worth my time. Therefore, this thread is closed. It serves no constructive purpose. Please do not post another thread about this topic.

Regards,

Joel

34swtns
01-10-2012, 11:13 PM
Wow.

At least I'm not the only one getting the Gestapo treatment around here.

Thanks for taking the heat off of me for a moment fellas.

(At least until this gets deleted. In 5......4.......3.....2.......).

joelsabi
01-10-2012, 11:16 PM
I reread your intent and see my closing the thread unnecessary as long as we keep this on topic as it gets tiresome. This is what I was writing when I previewed before I saw your last post.

Dave,

The last update on the transaction platform was 6 months ago. If you want an update you email Chris.

Since then the GUU has started its ties to 8D Auction, it has priority over the Transaction Platform. This is understandable from a business perspective.

There are times when I would have benefited from a over $500 to sell an item and made a transaction through private emails instead or listed the bat on Ebay. I see the strength in have a higher limit to allow room for negotiation. On the other side, how many threads have we seen where people complain about being burned (ie. not getting the item) for items bought on the forum. So I see both points of view. Personally, I would be willing to pay a fee to sell an item on the C2C section.

I don't see how this add to what has already be talked about for this topic but that is my opinion and you asked for it.

Regards,

Joel

legaleagle92481
01-10-2012, 11:56 PM

Dave

The liability isn't the issue. They don't want high dollar transactions being cut without them getting a piece. Thats smart business. Why allow others to sell 1,000s worth of stuff on your site without compensation?

Nnunnari
01-11-2012, 12:44 AM
Everybody is frustrated because no forum moderator will actually come out and tell the truth, their answers make zero logical sense. It's obviously about the business interest of GUU, which is totally understandable.
They either want to steer all high end items towards their auctions (why wouldn't they? just come out and admit it, nobody would be mad), want to start a pay-to-sell classified section (again, understandable, just give us a target date for the launch) or they're just lazy. The liability argument is weak and almost insulting.
Just come to grips with the fact that they're trying to figure out the best way to make money off of this highly visited site but won't admit it and it's taking a long time to figure out on their end.

Nick

Titans74
01-11-2012, 01:47 AM
Everybody is frustrated because no forum moderator will actually come out and tell the truth, their answers make zero logical sense. It's obviously about the business interest of GUU, which is totally understandable.
They either want to steer all high end items towards their auctions (why wouldn't they? just come out and admit it, nobody would be mad), want to start a pay-to-sell classified section (again, understandable, just give us a target date for the launch) or they're just lazy. The liability argument is weak and almost insulting.
Just come to grips with the fact that they're trying to figure out the best way to make money off of this highly visited site but won't admit it and it's taking a long time to figure out on their end.

Nick

Well said and agreed 100%.

GameWornJCollector
01-11-2012, 04:25 AM
GUYS LISTEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
USE EBAY FOR OVER 500$ DEALS!!!!! MAKE A PRIVTE AUCTION FOR THAT GUY WHO WANTS IT!!!! EVERYBODY WOULD BE ON THE SAVE SIDE!!!! :eek:

34swtns
01-11-2012, 06:44 AM
GUYS LISTEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
USE EBAY FOR OVER 500$ DEALS!!!!! MAKE A PRIVTE AUCTION FOR THAT GUY WHO WANTS IT!!!! EVERYBODY WOULD BE ON THE SAVE SIDE!!!! :eek:

You're missing the point, entirely (not to mention several letters in words you've attempted to type).

Most of our "target audience" is right here. Not on ebay. These are the guys who we want to see the stuff we have for sale and who we would like to have first shot at items they might be looking for.
And since we're not allowed to post threads saying "Hey guys, I've got an item posted on ebay that some of you may be interested in", being able to sell here at whatever price necessary would make the most sense.
I'm sure most of us would not mind paying a fee to sell here as we're already paying fees to ebay.
It's a guaranteed revenue stream for GUU and if I were in charge would have been implemented long ago.

b.heagy
01-11-2012, 07:08 AM
create a platform that users must register and provide a credit card to prove identity and charge a small percentage of what the item sells for (5% ?).

shoremen44
01-11-2012, 09:16 AM
The liability isn't the issue. They don't want high dollar transactions being cut without them getting a piece. Thats smart business. Why allow others to sell 1,000s worth of stuff on your site without compensation?

I run a wholesale sales organization... I also run our internet business, and we constantly talk about not leaving money on the table and doing what needs to be done to ensure our sales grow and we instead of others profit from our products...

In regards to game used stuff... I have bought and sold tens of thousands of dollars worth of GU bats in the past year...

I hate ebay and list there only as a last resort

I don’t like to use auction houses as the sellers premium puts me off, and when I want to sell it is usually quickly to buy something else.

I have bought and sold most of my items through emails with other GU collectors... the people on this site... I would have gladly paid a small fee to list items over $500... or if you want to really clean up the c to c postings... charge a couple of bucks for every post

My point is that if GUU is limiting the c to c postings to $500 in hopes to drive business their way, they are sorely mistaken... they could have had a piece of all of my transactions... while that may only amount to a little $... imagine a small piece of every transaction that goes on with members on this board... it all adds up to significant business

A small charge to post in the c to c section with a disclaimer that GUU is not responsible for any transaction, only the vehicle with which to list creates a place where we can all benefit... GUU receives a piece of the action that is already occurring without them, as well as I guarantee increased membership, and we all get visibility to the items we want and a able to sell in a place we are all comfortable with

dcgreg25
01-11-2012, 11:00 AM
Wow.

At least I'm not the only one getting the Gestapo treatment around here.

Thanks for taking the heat off of me for a moment fellas.

(At least until this gets deleted. In 5......4.......3.....2.......).

It is pretty simple, follow the forum rules andyour posts will not be deleted. Eliminate the personal attacks, baiting,and taking threads off topic and they will be left alone. I am not sure how else to explain it. The rules are posted in blackand white, there is no hidden agenda.

Let me use this thread to clarify a couple other things. I am a collector like all the other members on here and the moderators. The moderators are volunteers who are working to keep the forum as a gathering place where people are free to exchange ideas and information on the hobby. We have NO economic participation in GUU, 8D Auctions, sales platform, etc. and are unpaid. We do not have ownership of the site.

Is the forum perfect? No. I have issues with the forum from time to time but I choose to air them in emails to Chris or other members directly. While I may not always get the results I want, I respect the decisions and communicate that way leaving the forum for its stated purpose. If anyone wants to discuss my opinions on the $500 limit or email me with questions or concerns on how I/we moderate the site, please feel free to email me or the other moderators directly. My ONLY interest is in the forum being the best place it can for collectors.

CampWest
01-11-2012, 01:17 PM
I find it interesting that there is only a per-item limit, not a transactional limit. If a deal goes south is probably a whole transaction rather than just a single item. If there were a 3 @ $450 each deal on CtoC, thats okay at a $1350 for the transaction, but a single $500 is okay. Makes no sense.

Secondly, there is no similar limit on the Wanted section. So while it is not okay to use GUU for $500+ item that is in initiated in the sell forum, it is perfectly okay to do so in the buy forum.

This whole issue has not really impacted me too much as there just isn't too many items I've missed on as only a handful of items in my collection are above $500. And on the selling side of things, I've, like Bert, easily completed transactions above $500 through GUU, personally I've done so by finding the exact same interested buyers on the wanted board.

I understand why people are frustrated, but the alternatives of pay to post and such are not-desirable to me personally. I am fine with keeping things the way they are, the only change I really want is to remove the CtoC limit without charging additional fees, because frankly the only service gained from those fees is not having a limit.

xpress34
01-11-2012, 01:51 PM
Is the forum perfect? No. I have issues with the forum from time to time but I choose to air them in emails to Chris or other members directly. My ONLY interest is in the forum being the best place it can for collectors.

Greg -

I emailed BOTH you and Chris about an issue I had a while back and never heard a peep back from anyone.

- Smitty

dcgreg25
01-11-2012, 02:03 PM
Greg -

I emailed BOTH you and Chris about an issue I had a while back and never heard a peep back from anyone.

- Smitty

Feel free to email me again and I would be happy to repsond.

ChrisCavalier
01-11-2012, 02:08 PM

So let me get this straight, you have access to a free forum and free listing on this site up to $500 and we "don't care out [you]". Actually, I think the forum has served a great purpose in providing a free venue for people to get information which was it's original intent. It was not created to provide a free service for people to sell items with us providing free services that require our time to moderate.

There is really no need to keep creating threads where people ask for free access to selling all their merchandise without a fee with no remuneration for the provider. In fact, I just called my electric company and asked them to provide their service to me completely free and they laughed out loud (I guess similar to Dave O'Brien's laugh).

We are right now looking at if and how we would offer a service like this on GUU. Right now there are a number of venues you can use to sell items of higher value and I believe all of them will charge a fee to do so. As I said, this is something we are looking at right now. At the moment, if you do have higher end items you can offer them through our auctions and we will evaluate the items, etc before they are offered to our customers.

Again, I don't see the need to continue talking about raising the limits on the free service we offer and I certainly don't see this as something where our members do not benefit from the free service we provide. If the free service is not something people like, I guess another option might be to eliminate it entirely since people seem to complain more about it than being thankful for it. I am certainly not interested in being compared to greedy bankers when we are giving something to our members for free.

Hope that helps. I am closing this thread and people can contact me directly if they have any further questions.

Sincerely,
Chris