PDA

View Full Version : Photomatch?

Titans74
01-07-2012, 10:50 PM
Ok, as everyone knows I and still new to game used. I know there has been discussion about people getting mad about being asked for photomatching help, so I don't know what else to do but post pics up and maybe, hopefully, get some random opinions. I don't want to rub anyone the wrong way. I am just trying to determine if I have a match or not. Any help or opinions would be appreciated.

If I am going about this the wrong way, please let me know how else I should.

I have a feeling that this jersey is either going to be from Sept 30, 2011. The playoff game vs NYY that was called after 2 innings. Or this may be crom Oct 15, 2011. The Tigers last playoff game and loss to Texas.

I have been mostly concentrating on the puckering of the "4" on the back of the jersey as that is the best feature to go on.

There are also two small stains on the front, above the "o" in Detroit. I have not found those stains in any photo I have looked at.

I have exhausted all avenues available to me, the small fish in the pond. I hope that there may be others here that have better sources and may be able to help me. As a side note, if this jersey winds up being a 100% prrof positive match to Oct 15. I am willing to pay the person who matches it, if they require payment for their time.

Thank you for looking.

http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd516/SamGagner89/800_100_4055.jpg

http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd516/SamGagner89/800_100_4052.jpg

http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd516/SamGagner89/800_100_4053.jpg

Dach0sen0ne
01-07-2012, 11:00 PM
What game is the jersey authenticated to?

Titans74
01-07-2012, 11:08 PM
It labeled as "Issued". But believed to just not have been authenticated correctly.

Here are the two pics I have focused on most. Again, please forgive poor quality. My only internet access is my phone. So I don't have any fancy programs that can enhance anything.

The pic of Cabrera alone is Oct 15. The other is Sept 30. Again, I've been focusing on the "4" on the back. The two marks that appear to be puckering.

http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd516/SamGagner89/127772179.jpg

http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd516/SamGagner89/129893274-1.jpg

Titans74
01-08-2012, 04:54 PM
Any opinions?

Titans74
01-11-2012, 05:11 AM
Thanks for all the help guys. Appreciate it. :rolleyes:

b.heagy
01-12-2012, 07:38 AM
are you referring to the ripples in the number 4? more info on your thoughts would be very helpful.

b.heagy
01-12-2012, 07:44 AM
I scrolled right past your post with the puckering....... any chance there are photos from the same game of the front of the jersey?

joelsabi
01-12-2012, 02:01 PM
It labeled as "Issued". But believed to just not have been authenticated correctly.

[/IMG]

http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd516/SamGagner89/129893274-1.jpg

Who authenticated them? MLB?

I emailed the Detroit team director who is currently selling other Detroit game issued jerseys. For example, there are two Verlander road game issued jerseys currently for sale. Those jersey are not MLB authenticated and are not game used. He assured me that there is no possibility that they could be game used. If they were, they would be priced accordingly.

Your jersey is likely from the same source.I know it there are recent situations (ie. Steiner Yankee jersey)where a collector found a mislabeled jersey but those were MLB authenticated and relied on MLB authentication terminology. Hence my questions. What is the source of your jersey and was it MLB authenticated?

ajdaman42
01-12-2012, 02:44 PM
I found this picture from Game 2 of the ALCS on Getty. The location of the "t" aginst the blue stripe looks close to matching the location on your pictures.

dcgreg25
01-12-2012, 02:46 PM
If you look closely to the tag you can see the MLB hologram and the Tigers Equipment Manager's initials in black sharpie both of which are indicators this came from the Tigers directly through Marc. The Tigers are very careful about authenticating items particularly for a player like Cabrera so I would be surprised if this was used and not issued. MLB may have authenticated it as issued but Marc would have sold it if it was used. Perhaps the owner should ask Marc about it. I can tell you that during the last week or so, the Tigers have been selling GI jerseys via email and my guess is that is where this came from.

joelsabi
01-12-2012, 05:32 PM
If you look closely to the tag you can see the MLB hologram and the Tigers Equipment Manager's initials in black sharpie both of which are indicators this came from the Tigers directly through Marc. The Tigers are very careful about authenticating items particularly for a player like Cabrera so I would be surprised if this was used and not issued. MLB may have authenticated it as issued but Marc would have sold it if it was used. Perhaps the owner should ask Marc about it. I can tell you that during the last week or so, the Tigers have been selling GI jerseys via email and my guess is that is where this came from.

Good eye and good advice.

jppopma
01-12-2012, 11:47 PM
Titans, There is hope for your jersey. With the Tigers there is a little bit of a power struggle between Marc and Jim Schmakel (the equipment manager). Jim still likes to initial the gamers like the pre-hologram days. I see his initials on there, so maybe you could look him up in the directory and see if he could reply to you with any insight as to if it was used or not. Good luck and it might be something to go on. JP

Jules9
01-13-2012, 12:52 PM
Check out Daylife.com for more photos. You can also enlarge the photos there.

The top photo is from Oct.6. If you zoom in on the photo it looks like there is a "bubble" on the blue in the D in Detroit (circled in yellow). It looks like it is in the same spot as the one on your jersey. There is also a thread hanging in the dot in the i, maybe it matches your jersey. Hopefully you can use the photos to make sure it's a match.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c273/John1913/miguel.jpg
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c273/John1913/miguels.jpg
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c273/John1913/mig.jpg

This photo is from Oct. 15. If you zoom in it looks like the mark in the D is there

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c273/John1913/migs.jpg

Jules9
01-13-2012, 12:58 PM
Here's a link to top photo

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0gmleGocuRgwL/1000x.jpg

Titans74
01-14-2012, 05:37 AM
Thank you for the helpful responses.

To answer a few of the questions asked. The jersey was one of several road jerseys offered to me by Marc of the Tigers.

The hologram (MLB authentication) has it as "issued". Marc told me directly that HE feels it was collected after a 2011 playoff game and not authenticated immediately and mislabeled as "issued" sometime later. The date on the MLB authentication shows it as Oct 21, 2011. The playoffs ended on the 15th.

My thoughts were, as many of you with "issued" bats that turn out to be game used hr bats can attest to, is that I might have stumbled upon aj actual used jersey that just wasn't authenticated properly. It does happen.

Now, as far as Cabrera's road 2011 playoff jerseys go. Marc said that the Oct. 2nd hr jersey is not available. So that rules this jersey out for being it. Plus that jersey would show significant dirt on the front.

Marc has for sale the road Playoff jersey from game one (Oct 1) and game 5 (Oct 6) when the Tigers defeated the Yankees to move on to face Texas. The jersey Marc has was easily photomatched to game 5 with a dirt stain near the waistline of the jersey. I don't want that jersey simply because Cabrera was 0-3 in both games. So this jersey is not that one either.

That leaves Sept 30 (the 1st 2 inning of Game 1 that were rained out) and Oct 15th, the last Tiger playoff game vs Texas.

As for the wiseguy respone about the pictures I provided. They are the only photos that were provided to me and all I have to work with.

I am merely hoping that someone might see something I don't and I may find a match to the Oct 15th pkayoff game. I figure...they lost...jersey wasn't collected/authenticated until days later etc. Explaining the Oct 21st date. Could have happened. Long shot, I know.

I do appreciate the last posters respknse and pics. I had not known about that site as a source. I will add it to my list of photo sites I use.

If anyone has any other hi res pics of Cabrera in his jersey on Oct 15th, please post them and atleast, if nothing else, I can rule this jersey out and move on in my seemlessly neverending search for a Cabrera game used hr jersey.

I apologize for getting a little "testy". I was excited and thought I had a really good POSSIBILITY of a match. After a 6 year search (since his Marlin days) I am sure some of you can understand the tedious task I have been on and how you would feel if you thought you had finally reached the promised land.

That is my #1 desired piece. A Cabrera Tigers road hr jersey, with photomatch. Sorry if my newbie excited irritated some of you "seasoned" collectors.

spartanservitto
01-14-2012, 10:24 AM
Check that thread on the "I", if you hit that I would say conclusive, the "D" looks to be a match though.

-Tony

Dach0sen0ne
01-14-2012, 03:17 PM
Thank you for the helpful responses.

To answer a few of the questions asked. The jersey was one of several road jerseys offered to me by Marc of the Tigers.

The hologram (MLB authentication) has it as "issued". Marc told me directly that HE feels it was collected after a 2011 playoff game and not authenticated immediately and mislabeled as "issued" sometime later. The date on the MLB authentication shows it as Oct 21, 2011. The playoffs ended on the 15th.

My thoughts were, as many of you with "issued" bats that turn out to be game used hr bats can attest to, is that I might have stumbled upon aj actual used jersey that just wasn't authenticated properly. It does happen.

Now, as far as Cabrera's road 2011 playoff jerseys go. Marc said that the Oct. 2nd hr jersey is not available. So that rules this jersey out for being it. Plus that jersey would show significant dirt on the front.

Marc has for sale the road Playoff jersey from game one (Oct 1) and game 5 (Oct 6) when the Tigers defeated the Yankees to move on to face Texas. The jersey Marc has was easily photomatched to game 5 with a dirt stain near the waistline of the jersey. I don't want that jersey simply because Cabrera was 0-3 in both games. So this jersey is not that one either.

That leaves Sept 30 (the 1st 2 inning of Game 1 that were rained out) and Oct 15th, the last Tiger playoff game vs Texas.

As for the wiseguy respone about the pictures I provided. They are the only photos that were provided to me and all I have to work with.

I am merely hoping that someone might see something I don't and I may find a match to the Oct 15th pkayoff game. I figure...they lost...jersey wasn't collected/authenticated until days later etc. Explaining the Oct 21st date. Could have happened. Long shot, I know.

I do appreciate the last posters respknse and pics. I had not known about that site as a source. I will add it to my list of photo sites I use.

If anyone has any other hi res pics of Cabrera in his jersey on Oct 15th, please post them and atleast, if nothing else, I can rule this jersey out and move on in my seemlessly neverending search for a Cabrera game used hr jersey.

I apologize for getting a little "testy". I was excited and thought I had a really good POSSIBILITY of a match. After a 6 year search (since his Marlin days) I am sure some of you can understand the tedious task I have been on and how you would feel if you thought you had finally reached the promised land.

That is my #1 desired piece. A Cabrera Tigers road hr jersey, with photomatch. Sorry if my newbie excited irritated some of you "seasoned" collectors.

You can probably rule out your jersey being from the 15th.

Titans74
01-14-2012, 09:02 PM
You can probably rule out your jersey being from the 15th.

Thank you Dach. That certainly rules that out.