PDA

View Full Version : Help with Craig Biggio bat

skipcarayislegend
01-03-2012, 11:34 AM
Does anyone know if this is game issued and if the sig looks legit? I don't know much about Biggio bats but all the ones I've seen have loads of use and model numbers. There's light tar but little use outside of that. No signs of handle tape. Any thoughts on value would also be appreciated. Thank you.

eGameUsed
01-03-2012, 01:13 PM
Hello! Sorry I did not have a chance to reply to your e-mail from the weekend; been swamped with the Holidays.

Biggio was well known for using "replica" or promotional bats in the 1998-2000 time period. Not sure how this happened, but there is multiple photographic evidence that he predominently used the bats without model number for bothj BP and games. There is a theory that these bats were pro quality, but missed getting a model number in the set-up. BMH would have to chime in on that . . .

As for this bat, it appears that this bat was a promo bat that did get numbered for use. However, there are no signs that Biggio ever used this bat, mostly in the modified/tapered knob, tape, and tar. I have seen bats from the 2002-2003 era with missing tape and tar removed, but this bat is too clean. The light sign of tar on the bat looks to me from when it rested against another bat.

As for the autograph, it is legit. Biggio commonly signed the 1999-2001 era gamers with the MLB logo on the sweat spot in that location.

I would say the bat is worth %150-$200 Max, all depending on the buyer. Heavily used promo bat examples have sold for $500-$900 from what I have seen.

Thanks,

skipcarayislegend
01-03-2012, 01:24 PM
Thanks, Chris. No worries about the email. Figured you were pretty busy. Not sure if I understand your comment about the knob, but the bat does have a tapered knob. Anyway, thanks again.

eGameUsed
01-03-2012, 01:39 PM
Starting in the late 1990s, Biggio usually sanded down the knob even further. I do not have the pictures of my collection on me, but it was common to see sand marks to make the knob a smaller diameter.

Thanks,

skipcarayislegend
01-03-2012, 01:46 PM
Gotcha. Thanks.