PDA

View Full Version : Willie Mays S2

Bigcatbaseball
01-02-2012, 09:09 AM
I have a 73-75 block letter Willie Mays S2 34.5" bat. Assuming it is from 1973, it appears it could be a team index bat as Mays personal record only reflects 35" S2 for that year. Can you verify whether the Mets ordered team index bat for Mays for the 73 season?

BMH
01-12-2012, 07:05 AM
That is going to be a Mike question. My records do not go that far back.

Bigcatbaseball
01-23-2012, 04:33 PM
Mike, can you help?

MSpecht
01-24-2012, 12:16 PM
Unfortunately I do not have the Mets team order records, however here are a few things to consider:

1. The last time (only time) that a 34.5-inch order is documented in Mays' personal records is June, 1967, thus that was not a length that he favored, used, or was characteristic of him.

2. Mays personal records indicate orders totaling approximately 84 bats (80 were model S2) in 1973--- all 35-inches in length. There would seem to be little need to include Willie on a Mets team order.

3. Measure the bat carefully, with the knob end against a flat surface (wall, etc) to be sure of the measurement. If it is just a bit short of 35 inches, it may well have been a 35 inch bat that had some sanding done on the barrel end, as Mays was very specific about bat weights , and in 1973 ordered fractional weights of 33.5 and 34.5 ounces. Along those lines, look closely to see if there is a remnant of the weight marked on the knob at the time of shipping, almost half of the bats he ordered (36) were in 1/2 ounce weight.

4. Brian can correct me if I am wrong here, but in general, when a team ordered a random selection of team index bats such as "various models, lengths 34, 35, and 36 inches, various weights 32-34 ounces" for use throughout their system, H & B would use the opportunity as a marketing tool and use the names of endorsement contract players (signatures) on the bats. Block leter team bats would not be useful in that regard. Mays never had an endorsement contract with H & B.

5. It is possible that your bat started life out as a 35-inch Mays S2 that has either been measured incorrectly, or had had some sanding done prior to shipping to reduce some weight that took off 1/8 or 1/4 inch or so. If by chance the remnant of a 1/2 ounce weight remains on the knob, that would lead to such a conclusion in my opinion.

6. Additionally, Dave Grob of MEARS contacted me after seeing this post and made the following observation:

[I am not too sure a half inch on a block letter name Mays H&B is a big deal. Especially in light of what his personal order sheet shows for 9-5-69: "MARK ALL THE BATS EXACT WEIGHT HE ORDERED NO MATTER WHAT THE BATS WEIGH".]Sort of makes it tough adhere strictly to the shipping records as an absoulute when H&B documents the fact that what he ordered may not have been exactly what was shipped to him

That observation along with the guidelines put forth in the book BATS in 1995 and which authenticators still preach today-- "The H & B records contain a tremendous amount of information for the collector, however they represent one aspect of authentication, and each bat must be considered in its totality"

Mike... Jackitout7@aol.com

Bigcatbaseball
01-26-2012, 07:57 PM
Mike- Thanks for all of the information on this bat and for Dave's input as well. Once again, you have been very helpful.