PDA

View Full Version : How do you decide Between a Rack of Your Team's Game Used Jerseys?

frikativ54
12-30-2011, 03:33 PM
This question is inspired from a conversation with a fellow collector. Say you run into a rack of certified game used jerseys directly from your favorite team, mine being the Houston Astros. With limited means and only able to buy a few, how do you decide which to buy?

Do you go for style first? If there were an old-style shooting star jersey, would you buy it, even if it's a common player? Or even if there's not much use? Or if the team had a rack of jerseys, would you go for the alternate style because you like the color? Or a year with a desirable patch?

Or are you a player-first collector? If there's a Bagwell jersey, my favorite player, does the style not matter so much as who wore it? Or even how used it is? Again, we are assuming that there are no questions about authenticity of the various jerseys, as they are put out by the team itself, say the Astros.

Or do you consider yourself a use-first collector? If you see a tattered jersey of Astros reserve, Jason Michaels, would you buy it just for the many loose threads, the piling, the puckering, etc. This kind of collector would love the photomatch, even if it's not a star player or a favorite style.

Or are you some combination of these? I'll share my thoughts later, but I'm most of all curious to read your responses.

WadeInBmore
12-30-2011, 03:44 PM
I am a player first type of collector. Use and style are sort of in a second place tie for me. Some styles are used only once (or twice) so the use would be minimal. However, if I like the style that could be motivation enough.

Now when I go by my principal response of player first it makes the other decisions easier too. If multiple jerseys are available, then use becomes a major role. That being said, understanding the rarity of unique jersey makes it more appealing as well. If the piece is MLB authenticated to a specific game and I know what the player did that game...that could also help suade me (but you could consider that "use").

wade

frikativ54
01-01-2012, 07:15 AM
For me, personally, it's player first. I will take a light or moderate use Bagwell item over a destroyed Adam Everett gamer any day. However, if there are multiple jerseys of a player I collect, I will go for use over style.

I would rather have one of Jeff's jerseys of a less desirable style if it's pounded with use. For example, I would take a road gray over a home pinstripe if it shows more wear. If I had my choice, it would be a pounded Bagwell, no matter what patch is on the sleeve.

Then, lastly, I go for style. Ceteris paribus, I would take a red alternate over a home pinstripe Bagwell. There are a few times where I'm looking for a jersey with a particular patch, but I can't get excited about that jersey unless it's of a player whose shirt means a lot to me and is well-worn.

flaco1801
01-01-2012, 11:12 AM
lately i would think that some would take a "sniff" test to determine the best one...

godwulf
01-01-2012, 11:48 AM
Nice problem to have...or fantasize about!

Player first, for sure. There are players from whom I'd prefer to have a game-worn t-shirt than the home white jersey of a player that I don't care all that much about.

jppopma
01-01-2012, 09:23 PM
For me, it's player first. If one of the players I collect didn't play for the team, then I go for style (or specially patched jerseys).

I would add price next since I do have to work within a family friendly budget.

Use is one of those in the background issues. There would have to be specific photomatch wear for it to factor into the decision. When looking at racks, most seem to have similar wear (other than the few way to crisp ones).

Marrdar
01-02-2012, 12:26 AM
What do you do when you find the player you want but there is no wear, as you say, the jersey looked too crisp?
I had a diliemma where I found the player I wanted, but the wear, even though authenticated as game used, (he did not play that day), it looked like it was worn once. This was not a one game style, but their regular road jersey. I decided to not pick up the jersey and choose another player jersey that had a lot of wear.

jppopma
01-03-2012, 01:16 AM
What do you do when you find the player you want but there is no wear, as you say, the jersey looked too crisp?
I had a diliemma where I found the player I wanted, but the wear, even though authenticated as game used, (he did not play that day), it looked like it was worn once. This was not a one game style, but their regular road jersey. I decided to not pick up the jersey and choose another player jersey that had a lot of wear.

As a specific player collector, I'd say I would go for the player I like. I will admit that I have passed on some of my hometown player's jerseys over the years for a "better" player or "better" deal at the time. Down the road, the jersey I picked up will be all but forgotten about and I still think back to some of the ones that I missed out on.

In regard to the light use, I'd expect to pay less due to that fact..but not let that be a deal breaker (esp is authenticated). Do a quick search on authentication and you will see that the dates they are authenticated on do not always line up with the day the jersey was used (unless it is spelled out in the description). Best of luck and hopefully you will find the player you want down the road.

gadsden86
01-03-2012, 12:06 PM
For me the player would be the big pull. I would love to have one that shows a TON of use but i'd rather have one of the main guys i collect before someone i dont just b/c they have more use to it.
The style donesnt mean much to me so i have no care one way or the other.

kprst6
01-03-2012, 02:13 PM
I'm all about significance as a jersey word during a significant game, event, etc is what I value more than a common jersey

frikativ54
01-04-2012, 08:21 PM

I know the feeling. I had something similar happen once when I called about some game used jerseys. If I hadn't been so desperate for my favorite player with a certain patch on the sleeve, I wouldn't have bought it at all. I was told it had no use. But to my pleasant surprise, when I got the jersey and examined it, it did show some use. So - problem averted! :D

Marrdar
01-04-2012, 10:29 PM
Thank you for sharing your story. I ended up picking up a spring training/batting practice jersey of the same player from the team. Ton of wear, 20% of the cost of the tagged game used jersey with no wear.

On the money I saved, I ended up getting other jerseys on other players I liked, so it ended up well.

frikativ54
01-07-2012, 09:01 PM
Thank you for sharing your story. I ended up picking up a spring training/batting practice jersey of the same player from the team. Ton of wear, 20% of the cost of the tagged game used jersey with no wear.

On the money I saved, I ended up getting other jerseys on other players I liked, so it ended up well.

That's cool that you were able to find another jersey for a fraction of the price. And to find other players as well. I'm not primarily a jersey collector, so when I buy them, I am pretty particular about what I get. Unless I am looking for a particular style or patch, a no-use shirt just doesn't have any appeal to me.

mlupo
01-20-2012, 03:34 AM
I am mostly a team collector, I try to have at least one of every style/patch. Also, I like as much use as possible, but at the same time, unlike most I try to avoid having double of the same player, so player choice important as well. So for me if I have a rack of jersey's in from of my, first I pick style, then sort to find the ones with good use, finally I pick the player I like/need, but if I can't find a good balance of the 3 I just pass until another comes along.