PDA

View Full Version : MLB Authenticated items....

brianborsch
12-30-2011, 02:40 PM
Hello,

When purchasing MLB authenticated items, how can you tell if the hologram has been tampered with?

What happens to it? I ask because I have seen items for sale where the hologram is intact but the numbers are gone due to "fading" or something else....has anyone seen examples of this tamper proof hologram at work?

David
12-30-2011, 02:50 PM
I don't know how relevant this is to your point, but the PSA/DNA stickers are die-cut so if you try and remove one, it's clear it's been tampered with. So stickers and holograms can be designed to be tamper evident.

spartakid
12-30-2011, 03:15 PM
I believe that if you try and remove it, a pattern of holes will appear, it basically comes apart. At least that's what I've seen before. But it's definitely more obvious than just some fading. Hope that helps.

lakeerie92
12-30-2011, 09:26 PM
I believe that if you try and remove it, a pattern of holes will appear, it basically comes apart. At least that's what I've seen before. But it's definitely more obvious than just some fading. Hope that helps.

That is correct. It has a pattern of little circles that peals of and remains stuck to the item. I did it to a cheap game used ball just to see what happened. I don't know what happens with the earlier round holograms, but the new ones don't come off easy.

emann
12-30-2011, 10:02 PM
I have a jersey that has a circle missing from the top of the hologram (it's the old style large holo with the rounded top and straight bottom). I bought it direct from the team, so I doubt it was tampered with (no reason and it isn't a high dollar jersey), my best guess is the authenticator got it stuck to something else or moved it after he placed it...

The Steiner holo's also leave circles when removed.

David
12-31-2011, 02:31 AM
Yeah, I pulled off a PSA/DNA sticker from an LOA once just to see what happened, and it left little squares stuck to the LOA. There's no way you could reuse the stocker, it was slicked and diced.

HawaiiSportsNut
12-31-2011, 03:15 AM
Brian... I will reply to your email sometime next week. We are still dealing with my mom since she was hospitalized 2 months ago.

Rick

brianborsch
12-31-2011, 02:29 PM
Rick,

Email sent...