PDA

View Full Version : Framing a Jersey (metal pins?) - Rookie thread

marzomarz
12-29-2011, 12:26 PM
I'm looking to frame my first GU jersey (2011 MLB AS batting practice jersey). I have a frame and am curious if anyone has advice on how to pin the jersey inside the frame. Do you just use regular cloth pins?

cohibasmoker
12-29-2011, 02:49 PM
I'm looking to frame my first GU jersey (2011 MLB AS batting practice jersey). I have a frame and am curious if anyone has advice on how to pin the jersey inside the frame. Do you just use regular cloth pins?

Try double-sided tape.

allstarsplus
12-29-2011, 02:53 PM
I think you hang it just like it hung in the players locker. Put it on a hangar in a shadow box if you can.

marzomarz
12-29-2011, 03:37 PM
I've got the jersey shadow box. But everything I read online suggested hanging it within the shadow box using metal pins.

gameon
12-29-2011, 04:40 PM
I agree with the hanger method. Pins can leave permanent holes in the jersey and tape will leave tape residue on the jersey over time. JMO

nycpropain
12-31-2011, 03:08 AM
I agree with the hanger method. Pins can leave permanent holes in the jersey and tape will leave tape residue on the jersey over time. JMO

And a hanger will do 10xs the damage then the 2 you shot down. Unless you are using museum hangers/mannequins that are several hundred dollars you really have no clue what you are talking about. Plastic hangers stretch the neckline and metal can rust, stain and also stretch. With all the weight on the neck hole major unnatural damage can be done.

Tiny pins is the way to go as they disperse the weight over an area and unless you plan on washing the jersey 50 times will have nearly no effect on the jersey.

xpress34
12-31-2011, 09:39 AM
And a hanger will do 10xs the damage then the 2 you shot down. Unless you are using museum hangers/mannequins that are several hundred dollars you really have no clue what you are talking about. Plastic hangers stretch the neckline and metal can rust, stain and also stretch. With all the weight on the neck hole major unnatural damage can be done.

Tiny pins is the way to go as they disperse the weight over an area and unless you plan on washing the jersey 50 times will have nearly no effect on the jersey.

NYC -

No disrespect, but you also need to make sure you know what you are talking about.

I only have two jersey 'frames' - all of my other jerseys are on mannequins or hanging on my clothing rack - and they came with WOOD hangers that are extra long in length and reach from shoulder seam to shoulder seam so the jerseys hang from the front/back seam along the hanger without leaving 'shoulder nipples' from the hanger. Also, the hangers are just slightly bowed - no 'neck' on the hangers - so no neck stretching either.

On my clothing rack, I buy higher end chromed hangers (in 10 years haven't had rust on one yet) that are also longer from end to end to eliminate (again) 'shoulder nipples'.

As far as my Mannequins - if you know how to look around, you can find great deals on Mannequins. I prefer 'cloth' body mannequins as some plastic ones have 'spurs' from the molding process and can snag jerseys, but I do still have a few plastic ones until I replace them with more cloth ones.

The cloth torso ones I get I usually can find new in peoples overstock and if I buy in bulk, I can get them for about $50-$75 each.

Check your local yellow pages or on-line for New/Used Store Fixture sellers in your area and scour Craigslist for Mannequins.

Personally, I would never stick pins in any of my jerseys, but that is a personal preference thing.

Just my .02

- Smitty