PDA

View Full Version : Museoven...perhaps you could shed some light

WadeInBmore
12-24-2011, 11:03 AM
I saw this video online earlier today...I was wondering if they are telling the full story down where you are. Let me know as I would love to know WHAT sparked THIS type of reaction.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/Video-Yorvit-Torrealba-punches-umpire-in-Venezu?urn=mlb-wp29024

Thanks buddy.

wade

godwulf
12-24-2011, 11:12 AM
Wow. It's no doubt the rare player (and the even rarer fan) who hasn't wanted to do something like that, but to see it actually done is pretty startling. In MLB, that would be, at minimum, a season-ender, I would think. Heck, people still talk about the Alomar spitting incident, and that happened in 1996.

xpress34
12-24-2011, 11:42 AM
:eek: Speechless...

Having watched Yorvit here in Denver and having gotten to meet him on multiple occasions, that video is - as GW said - startling to say the least.

Definately not a guy I would ever suspect of losing his temper to that point.

- Smitty

jppopma
12-24-2011, 03:42 PM
WoW! I am wondering is the umpire may have said something to him. It seems odd that he would be that upset after striking out swinging (could have been an earlier call).

Hopefully Museoven can explain the level of umpires they have down there. The only other times you seem to see things get this out of hand is in softball leagues when you get a hothead umpire and a steamed player going at it.

DJaeger22
12-24-2011, 04:01 PM
A lot of the "less experienced" minor league umpires get sent down to winter league ball all over, so this could have been an umpire from the states just getting extra work in. Unexplainable as to what Yorvit did.

camarokids
12-24-2011, 04:10 PM
I am not sure what his argument could be? Even if he foul tipped the ball with two strikes and the catcher catches the ball he is still out. It would still be strike three.....

jppopma
12-24-2011, 10:36 PM
Sounds like it was for an earlier called strike. It was 2-2 when he struck out swinging. (I heard that the other was a legit strike call)

I wonder how many ejections they have down there. One of the players from the other team was ejected for arguing an out call at the top of the same inning.

Still would like to know what lead up to that kind of an attack. Either way, I bet he won't be getting any of the close calls when he is up to bat or behind the plate.

jppopma
12-24-2011, 11:12 PM
Reports show that the umpire is Darío Rivero Jr.

I did a search on him and see that in 2008 he ejected the Aguilas mascot and banned him for 10 games. The mascot's letter is pretty funny and talks about some background on him (fyi "singing" as translated by google from "cantar" is actually calling).

http://eljuegoperfecto.blogspot.com/2008/11/e-mail-pblico-de-agui-daro-rivera-jr.html

Not that I condone the behavior .... but there may be more too it.