PDA

View Full Version : Photo Matching Baseballs: Can It Be Done?

TJordan522
12-23-2011, 01:24 AM
Has anyone ever photo matched a baseball?

I feel like it would be possible if you knew what exact play the ball was from and if you happened to have access to a clear image of that play.

I have a few balls that I feel have matching potential because the MLB hologram gives specific details about the play, but I don't have the high resolution images to check.

For example, I have a Roy Halladay pitched ball from the 2011 season. The game was on June 26 against Oakland, and according to the MLB serial number on the ball, the ball was thrown to Scott Sizemore, who grounded into a double play.

Getty Images has a photo (image 65335019) that shows Polanco throwing out Sizemore "as part of a double play in the top of the second inning at Citizens Bank Park on June 26, 2011," according to the photo caption.

So, can this ball be matched? In my opinion it comes down to three things.

1. Can I ever find a high resolution copy of this image? Doubtful, but you never know.

2. Will the high resolution image be clear enough, or will the ball be too blurry to see because it was in motion as the photo was taken?

3. Assuming I can get the photo and the ball is depicted clearly in it, are there any distinct marks visible on the ball that I could match to the ball in my collection?

Just something I was pondering tonight...if anyone has ever done it, I would love to see photos!

lakeerie92
12-23-2011, 02:08 AM
I am sure it can be done, but it would be by luck and hard work. The best option would be going to MLB.TV and catching the moment they zoom in on the ball in the pitcher's hand. Then not only would the timing have to be right for it to zoom in at the right time, but then the ball would have to have a distinguishing mark visible at that point.

When I have watch games to confirm the use of commemorative game baseballs. Some games I see it in the first 10 minutes, and others I have watched a whole game without even getting a close up of the commemorative logo. I can't see myself trying to attempt it.

ballhawknet
12-25-2011, 01:33 AM
Obviously I am 100% sure its the same ball , but since we are talking photo match what do you think ?

I tried to rotate the ball to match how the pitcher is holding the ball , but problem is the ball is lopsided big time ... lol

To me , the long stitch at point 1 matches up to point 2 . And the stitch just
below # 1/2 is extra short . Count down 6 stitches , # 3/4 and we have a dark, extra wide stitch on the right half .

Also on # 3/4 , look at the stitches immediately above and below . The space between those stitches seem to match with the slightly different angles of the stitches .