PDA

View Full Version : mlb cap collectors

zonker
09-26-2006, 09:51 AM
i need to find out anything, anybody might know about an item! i purchaesd on ebay item#290019381622 i'm new to collecting and don't know anything about game used,or store bought cap's or if it's even an era cap?

allstarsplus
09-26-2006, 10:04 AM
I know nothing about vintage caps like that, but to help you out here I will post the photos for you on this Joe DiMaggio advertised cap.

http://i4.ebayimg.com/06/i/07/f6/a9/cd_1.JPG

http://i17.ebayimg.com/05/i/07/f1/d2/cf_1.JPG

trsent
09-26-2006, 10:07 AM
i need to find out anything, anybody might know about an item! i purchaesd on ebay item#290019381622 i'm new to collecting and don't know anything about game used,or store bought cap's or if it's even an era cap?

Welcome to the forum!

I am not a cap expert, so I'll let the others chime in. I would assume if the cap was genuine it would have fetched a much higher price, but it could have been lost in the shuffle.

What I did want to ask is your nickname "Zonker" after the Garry Trudeau character featured in Doonesbury comics?

MVP
09-26-2006, 10:48 AM
I am no expert but the New Era tags look like 1980's early 1990's New Era tags. The NY on front does not look like DiMaggio era

-Henry

zonker
09-26-2006, 10:50 AM
wow!!!!! your the first to get it! most people can't say my real last name very well so iv'e always just told them to call me that. i was born in 66 and started reading sunday papers in elementary school when in 72 73 i read my first one and me and o'l zonker had a lot of similarities besides close name's. (ignorance and bliss go hand n hand )

trsent
09-26-2006, 10:53 AM
wow!!!!! your the first to get it! most people can't say my real last name very well so iv'e always just told them to call me that. i was born in 66 and started reading sunday papers in elementary school when in 72 73 i read my first one and me and o'l zonker had a lot of similarities besides close name's. (ignorance and bliss go hand n hand )

Before I completely stopped reading newspapers about ten years ago, I would open the Chicago Tribune every day, read Mike Royko's page 3 column, flip to Doonesbury and go to the sports section.

I have been bad the last few years, as I have fallen way behind on my strip reading, but for a few years there I read the comic every day online.

nycsports
09-26-2006, 11:16 AM
I remember seeing that exact hat sell on eBay, probably around a year ago. I also remember a discussion (possibly on this board) questioning it's authenticity. I'm not saying it's fake, as I'm no expert on hats. I'll look for the discussion about the hat the first time it sold on eBay...

suave1477
09-26-2006, 11:31 AM
I am no expert but the New Era tags look like 1980's early 1990's New Era tags. The NY on front does not look like DiMaggio era

-Henry

I have to agree with MVP on this one im no expert either but I am looking into it deeper for information on Game Used New Era hats as soon as I come up with more info I will post it here.

I agree with MVP the hat looks new from possibly the late 80's I would doubt 90's becuz in 91 they applied the MLB Logo to the hat, so that would be a dead giveaway that it wasn't Dimaggios.

Also really nothing on the hat looks vintage it loos pretty new.

trsent
09-26-2006, 11:45 AM
I have to agree with MVP on this one im no expert either but I am looking into it deeper for information on Game Used New Era hats as soon as I come up with more info I will post it here.

I agree with MVP the hat looks new from possibly the late 80's I would doubt 90's becuz in 91 they applied the MLB Logo to the hat, so that would be a dead giveaway that it wasn't Dimaggios.

Also really nothing on the hat looks vintage it loos pretty new.

Though I question the cap, Joe DiMaggio lived until 1999, so the cap could have been issued for him anytime until that date. I checked and his brothers never played for The Yankees, so it would be odd if it was issued for either of them.

Why would it not being from the 1990s be a "dead giveaway that it wasn't Dimaggios"? What does that mean?

Mike Heffner
09-26-2006, 12:22 PM
Hello,

At very earliest, the cap is from the 1970's. I have handled a good number of caps including Yankees over the years and have never seen a post 1950's Yankees cap with the name stitched in. The Old Timers game and coaching caps that I have seen have had the numbers written under the brims to identify the player or coach.

Just my 2 cents.

Mike Heffner

suave1477
09-26-2006, 12:28 PM
Why would it not being from the 1990s be a "dead giveaway that it wasn't Dimaggios"? What does that mean?

Well TRSENT the seller claims the hat is Joe Dimaggio pre 1960's Game hat, also as I stated in 1991 New ERA started applying the MLB Logo. So if it has the logo that would make this hat from 1991 and on. I know they called him JOLTIN JOE but im sure he wasnt getting much field play between 1991 to 1999.

Joel can you enlighten us of any proof showing Joe DiMaggio playing baseball from 1991 to 1999? I thought he retired earlier but maybe I was wrong!!!

trsent
09-26-2006, 12:51 PM
Well TRSENT the seller claims the hat is Joe Dimaggio pre 1960's Game hat, also as I stated in 1991 New ERA started applying the MLB Logo. So if it has the logo that would make this hat from 1991 and on. I know they called him JOLTIN JOE but im sure he wasnt getting much field play between 1991 to 1999.

Joel can you enlighten us of any proof showing Joe DiMaggio playing baseball from 1991 to 1999? I thought he retired earlier but maybe I was wrong!!!

So, as there has been more information added by someone who knows a little history of this topic, but your comment stated that because the cap couldn't have been issued in the 1990s then it was no good.

My question was why? Joe DiMaggio could have appeared at many New York Yankee functions that a cap was produced for during that era. Maybe you should think before you post misleading someone asking an honest question because your comments were steering the thread in the wrong direction.

Instead of answering my question you took it personally. Don't post comments unless you can answer constructive questions about your posts like everyone else does.

Joel

Eric
09-26-2006, 01:45 PM
Not that this helps, but here are the lastest pics I could find of Joe D in uniform

http://pro.corbis.com/images/U2011314.jpg?size=67&uid={4d0c545c-5cec-4a6d-8872-81b870fb146d}

Undated from 1980s (since maris is in it, the latest it could be is 1985)

http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/51494566.jpg?v=1&c=MS_GINS&k=2&d=6EF1572BEF5BC109767ECCD9B8F9348E

suave1477
09-26-2006, 02:21 PM
So, as there has been more information added by someone who knows a little history of this topic, but your comment stated that because the cap couldn't have been issued in the 1990s then it was no good.

My question was why? Joe DiMaggio could have appeared at many New York Yankee functions that a cap was produced for during that era. Maybe you should think before you post misleading someone asking an honest question because your comments were steering the thread in the wrong direction.

Instead of answering my question you took it personally. Don't post comments unless you can answer constructive questions about your posts like everyone else does.

Joel

My reply to this Joel is WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT????

Could he have worn the cap to a Yankee funtion SURE!!! but the item in question is NOT a POST SEASON/RETIREMENT ITEM. The item i question is PRE 1960'S GAME HAT. TRSENT think before you speak!!! We are basing this by what the seller is claiming it to be not what YOU want to make it out to be THAT IS THE DIFFERENCE.

Second of all your question really didnt make sense, becuz in my post previously I explained why I felt the way I did about what I said. You then turn around and ask me WHY????
TRSENT your not making sense!!!
Its ok you must be having a long day at work!!

trsent
09-26-2006, 02:36 PM
My reply to this Joel is WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT????

Could he have worn the cap to a Yankee funtion SURE!!! but the item in question is NOT a POST SEASON/RETIREMENT ITEM. The item i question is PRE 1960'S GAME HAT. TRSENT think before you speak!!! We are basing this by what the seller is claiming it to be not what YOU want to make it out to be THAT IS THE DIFFERENCE.

Second of all your question really didnt make sense, becuz in my post previously I explained why I felt the way I did about what I said. You then turn around and ask me WHY????
TRSENT your not making sense!!!
Its ok you must be having a long day at work!!

I am fine, don't worry about me and anything in my personal life. (If you care, today has been a great day, just shipped out $3000.00 in silver that will justify my day. Yesterday was crappy, broke up with a girl that now I can only dream about. She was a Milwaukee 10, which is about a LA 8-9.

Your original post was misleading and as usual you were unable to explain the question I originally asked. Jason, my name is Joel, not "TRSENT".

I am confused with how you explained this cap, and instead of answering my question you replied confrontationaly as usual. Don't join into a conversation if you cannot explain your statements when questioned. My question was genuine and you, as usual, made this a fued with no end.

suave1477
09-26-2006, 02:46 PM
Joel I just re-read what I wrote and I do understand what you mean by what I said could have been miisleading. So I will be big enough to Apologize to you or anyone else that I have possibly mislead.

At the same time though given the information provided by the seller it still could not have been 1960'S Game Hat of DiMaggios (FROM THAT TIME PERIOD IF IT IS BEARING THE LOGO).

So in actuality really what I wrote was not misleading cuz again he is claiming it is a "GAME HAT" not a "CHARITY DINNER OR OLD TIMERS DAY HAT"

Better yet we all know Joe Dimaggio showed up to those past type of events but does anyone know if he actually played a game.

I never seen anything showing him actually playing, just sitting in the dug out.

zonker
09-26-2006, 03:04 PM
it does not have the logo on it, i was wondering more along the lines if it was a pro model cap, and around what time it was from,cause i believe the seller took me for a ride! as for the name sewn in it doesn't matter as the only player i know that ever did that was babe ruth and it was more of a stamped in leather effect. i was curious if anything the seller described was the truth! thank's zonker

zonker
09-26-2006, 03:13 PM
thank's eric for posting the pic's from the old timers game that's as far up to date as iv'e seen him in uniform also. http:tigerx.com/people/dimaggio.htm has a similar picture showing the opposite side of the inside rim of cap, but i'm not computer savvy enough to post pic. i just assumed someone maybe sewed it in to help id the cap in there collection. even up to then it doesn't look as if that was something joe would do. thank's zonker

nycsports
09-26-2006, 03:52 PM
Zonker, did you ask the seller how he obtained the hat?

both-teams-played-hard
09-26-2006, 04:13 PM
Discussed almost to the day, one year ago...
http://www.network54.com/Forum/383222/message/1127246020/DiMaggio+Hat

suave1477
09-26-2006, 04:14 PM
Zonker I am curious by you looking at the hat can you tell if it shows pretty good use, cuz from the pictures it looks like it has some good use.

My point is Lets say for arguements sake this hat was from an Old Timers Game or Charity event. Would it show as much use as it does??
I wear my hats and they don't start showing use like that till after at least a month or 2 and thats wearing it everyday my hats.

zonker
09-26-2006, 04:28 PM
yes! he claimed that he abtained it from a very reliable sorce that use to be affiliated within the yankee orginization, and that was all the responce i got until the auction was over. i opened with the 300.00 bid then nothing! i wish i could find out for sure as someone posted earlier that the same exact hat was on ebay a year ago! as i was not a member until may of this year i tried going back through his feedback from sellers to see if he purchased it on the ebay site but without a close date to look for i'm not haveing any luck. i was hoping the guy that remembers it being under discussion might find a old thread in it or a close date, but nothing so far i've tried contacting seller again to see if there was a way his "source" could be reached for a few question's but no answer so far! the only responce i got at all was after auction when i opened a dispute for item not received and he emailed me being kind of nasty and was told wife was in surgery and the last thing on his mind was ebay and me just to keep my pants on and it would come and when it came to close dispute!

sportscentury
09-26-2006, 04:29 PM
Joel I just re-read what I wrote and I do understand what you mean by what I said could have been miisleading. So I will be big enough to Apologize to you or anyone else that I have possibly mislead.

Jason,

Thank you. I accept your apology.

Reid

zonker
09-26-2006, 04:32 PM
yes it has alot of use on it.and his name is t morin

both-teams-played-hard
09-26-2006, 04:36 PM
here is an enlargement of the photo, zonkers wanted to post: too dang grainy. Although, the cap in the old timer's photo looks like it has a well-used, dirty sweatband...
http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/1733/joedvv6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/4327/joed2za7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

zonker
09-26-2006, 04:54 PM
thank's for all your help!!! both-teams-played-hard and everybody thank's zonker , it's making me sick to know that there are people out there like this and that's what makes this site invaluble to collecters's old and new like myself it scares me to know that iv'e spent almost 15,000 in the last 5 month's on memorabilia to put away for my daughter to enjoy someday i wonder how much is real and what is fake! i wish i had known you guy's befor now!!!!! forever thankful i'll be, and i have renewed respect that not everybody is out to make something off of there knowledge on such a great thing as collecting baseball memoribilia and preserving our nation's and my favorite pastime!!! for future generation's as our grandfather's did this for us with no reguard to monitary value, just love of the game and it's heroes. zonker

Eric
09-26-2006, 10:09 PM
Wow Zonker,

You know how to pick 'em. I emailed the seller and asked how he could tell it was a "pre 1960" dimaggio hat. I pointed him to this thread and told him that people who have experience have said it's 1970s at the earliest.
Here's his classy response

-----------------------------------------------------------------

hello there yourself -i do not care who you are .you do not know what you are talking about.also i do not answer to you because who ever you are you mean nothing to me. have a nice day

You purchased the hat based on a faulty description. Notify ebay and you should think about notifying the authorities because essentially what this guy did was mail fraud.
Here's the address for the internet crime complaint center
http://www.ic3.gov/
Eric

trsent
09-27-2006, 01:38 AM
Wow Zonker,

You know how to pick 'em. I emailed the seller and asked how he could tell it was a "pre 1960" dimaggio hat. I pointed him to this thread and told him that people who have experience have said it's 1970s at the earliest.
Here's his classy response

hello there yourself -i do not care who you are .you do not know what you are talking about.also i do not answer to you because who ever you are you mean nothing to me. have a nice day

You purchased the hat based on a faulty description. Notify ebay and you should think about notifying the authorities because essentially what this guy did was mail fraud.
Here's the address for the internet crime complaint center
http://www.ic3.gov/
Eric

Eric, as usual amazing work for the industry.

suave1477
09-27-2006, 09:18 AM
Eric good job!!!

Hey can I email him ill give him a few words myself lol lol:D

Eric
09-27-2006, 09:21 AM
It's not a good job until zonker gets his money back and this guy gets shut down. Let's see...

Eric