PDA

View Full Version : Braun's failed test caused by medication

kylehess10
12-19-2011, 06:40 PM
What do you all think of this?

http://www.tmz.com/2011/12/19/ryan-braun-medication-baseball-steroids/#.Tu_LENRrOrk

frikativ54
12-19-2011, 07:33 PM
If he wanted to exonerate himself, the best tactic would be to spill the beans as to his medical condition. Anyone can say that he has a "private medical condition." What would be far more convincing would be to name the medical problem and substance that caused the positive test. At least that's how he could gain back respectability in my eyes.

sylbry
12-19-2011, 08:01 PM
Here is the speculated medical condition. Of course this could just be kicking a man while he is down too.

http://www.throughthefencebaseball.com/ryan-braun-rumors-are-swirling-failed-test-could-be-linked-to-std-herpes/15191/#

xpress34
12-20-2011, 01:11 AM
Of course I'll be branded a 'conspiracy theorist' (again) by at least one person on the boards, but - if it's a medical issue, why not just state that from the get go?

Not asking for specifics - yet - but this whole 'secrecy' and the statement of 'extreme extenuating circumstances' rather than a private medical condition just beg you to say BS.

WadeInBmore
12-20-2011, 01:30 AM
Smitty I agree with you.

If I'm not mistaken, ANYTIME I've taken a drug test im the past you have the opprotunity to disclose any medications that you may be on and other "issues" that you may have at the time of the test. THAT is when you speak up and say "you know, I do have this thing".

Too little too late IMO. He had his shot to speak up, he came up positive...end of story. It's like when a student comes into my class and a paper/assignment is due...IF you don't have it in class when it's due, it is late...period.

Somebody needs to stand up and take responsibility for their actions and use this thing as a lesson learned. You should not be able to talk your way out of this thing no matter who you are. I'm sure he isn't the first person to take whatever he was taking, and if this was another player, one might be quick to say that he was using substance "a" to cover up substance "b".

The entire steroid thing is a headache. This case is a lose lose for everyone as it stirs up major trust issues for fans. Accountability is something that they want among the masses but that seems to disappear when solely looking at the individual.

I also can't help but think about Canseco's (first?) book when he said that players like Cal Ripken Jr where u touchable and treated differently. All I know is that in the end I hope MLB does the right thing and sends theright message.

Wade

godwulf
12-20-2011, 08:46 AM
Regarding the steroid story linked by sylbry, the supposed quote from the Brewers officials - "He'll be let off" if the herpes story is true - seems a bit premature and self-serving. Taking a banned substance for a medical condition doesn't always get a person off in these situations; we've all seen Olympic athletes lose their medals because they were taking some prescription (or even OTC) medication for a cold. Injured players would always have the excuse that they had a medical need to make their injury heal faster, if that need alone made them exempt from the ban. Braun will no doubt preserve much of his fan base and his personal reputation, if he took the steroids inadvertantly, but he should still be on the hook for the suspension. "I didn't know what I was taking" is a (pun fully intended) piss-poor excuse.

cohibasmoker
12-23-2011, 07:57 AM
If he wanted to exonerate himself, the best tactic would be to spill the beans as to his medical condition. Anyone can say that he has a "private medical condition." What would be far more convincing would be to name the medical problem and substance that caused the positive test. At least that's how he could gain back respectability in my eyes.

Did you notify Braum and/or his agent and tell them the importance of disclosing his "Private Medical Condition" so his reputation would be restored in your eyes? Once they understand the importance of restoring faith in "your eyes" that aspect would be way more important than keeping their personal affairs private.

Just an opinion

Jim

jppopma
12-23-2011, 11:01 AM
I've never been asked anything at the times of random drug testing. They call you in, pee in the cup, and they send you back on the road.

My thoughts on Braun are;
who says and how do they know that it's herpes?
what strain of herpes (could just be a cold sore)?
how much of a difference is there between jock itch and herpes?
why do people think that they deserve full disclosure into everyone's life?

Many of these drug tests have alert points for many substances. There are more tests that can be done to determine the exact level and makeup of the drug. I'm sure that MLB is performing these test now and will make a determination on the totality of the tests.

If he in the clear? Not really. Like Godwulf said, there are some over the counter things that are banned for athletes. Chances are if he took even one too many of these pills, he could be screwed.

(Also be nice to Frik, she may be more concerned with his possible herpes issue than the rest of us guys)

NEFAN
12-23-2011, 11:46 AM
Smitty I agree with you.

If I'm not mistaken, ANYTIME I've taken a drug test im the past you have the opprotunity to disclose any medications that you may be on and other "issues" that you may have at the time of the test. THAT is when you speak up and say "you know, I do have this thing". Wade

That use to be the way it was done. Now due to HIPA laws, thay can't ask you anything medical.

vonbrandingo
12-23-2011, 01:35 PM
Doesn't matter if HIPAA laws prohibit questioning of existing conditions if a test is not administered by a doctor. He had plenty of time to get a doctor's note about his herpes medication to clear the test results before it blew up in his face. Either he's an idiot with no tact or he's a straight up doper without a reason for doping but to enhance his performance.

godwulf
12-23-2011, 02:34 PM
With regard to drug testing, whether or not a requirement to disclose prescription medications exists depends entirely on why the individual is testing. I'm the court liaison for a large agency that deals primarily with urinalysis drug testing, and whether or not people must, or even are able to, disclose to us what they're taking on a prescription basis varies from program to program.

People testing for the Diversion or Deferred Prosecution program have to tell us what they're taking if they want to participate in the program; they are free to refuse, at which point they're terminated from the program and go back to court to face the music. Probation clients report their prescription drug use to their POs - we don't really care; the same for folks testing for CPS - their case workers require that information, but the testing agency does not. People testing for Family Court don't have to tell anyone, but if they test positive for something, it's a sure bet that the court and attorneys are going to be asking why.

I have no idea how the matter of prescription drug use is handled in the MLB testing program, but I suspect that it's done like with most private employers: if you test positive for what may be a controlled substance, you can either prove that you were legally entitled to use that substance, or you will be presumed guilty. In other words, you may not be legally required to provide information about your medical condition or what you're taking for it...but if you want to keep your job, you probably should.

In any case, the lab cannot, and does not, assume or report that you - for example - tested positive for steroids because you're taking a scrip that has steroids in it; someone could be taking a herpes medication that contains steroids and taking steroids as a PED. That's a big part of the reason that athletes are prohibited from taking some medications that they'd otherwise be legally entitled to take - the test only tells you so much, and there is no test for "intent".

vonbrandingo
12-23-2011, 04:34 PM
godwulf, good diplomatic response. Mostly all of you said was fluff.
Braun has had more time than anyone on the Mitchell report to respond to a negative steroid test that he's failed. He failed at the response too. No matter if he's exonerated, he's tainted as the FIRST of the post-steroid era to be caught for what his predecessors did best, beside dominate.

jppopma
12-23-2011, 06:12 PM
These things take time to work out. Until MLB comes out with the information and hands down a suspension, I wouldn't put much stock in any of it.

For a test to come back with 2x the next highest level of PED makes me think that it could be an anomaly. Look at all of the 'roiders over the last 9 years of testing....2x any of their results?

Nothing official on this has come out at all! Braun has answered and is likely dealing with MLB on this matter. Who are we to demand that he answers to us first?

godwulf
12-24-2011, 10:59 AM
godwulf, good diplomatic response.

Well, that's something I'm rarely accused of...but in this instance, I don't think the word means what you think it does.

Mostly all of you said was fluff.

I was addressing the questions and statements that others had posted regarding medical releases and the responsiblility of the testing lab to request prescription drug information or to take it into account when reporting test results. Sorry if I bored or confused you.