PDA

View Full Version : Removal of year-size tag on GU Packers jerseys

Flamechicken
12-18-2011, 01:41 AM
Hi all,
I'm looking at a couple of Packers jerseys, of two different players, from the 1997 season, one game worn and the other, I believe to be team issued. What's interesting is that both show stitch marks of having the year-size tag at one point in time, but they have since been removed.

Has anyone ever come across GU or team issued jerseys like this?

Thanks,
Mike

helmets
12-18-2011, 09:42 AM
I bought a Packers jersey of #94 - Roy Barker. He played just one game for the Packers in 1999. It had the year/size tag removed. I chalked it up to the seller removing it to "modify" a different jersey - since the Barker that I bought was basically a no-namer. Now that you mention it, perhaps the team removed it, as the Packers have always recycled jerseys from previous years - especially in the past for no-namers and rookies.

packerfan
12-20-2011, 01:49 PM
I don't think the team removed the year/size tag. I have a Calvin Jones jersey that is tagged 95-48 but Jones played in Super Bowl 31 in 1996, his only year with the team. I think someone else removed the tag. The Packers wouldn't have any reason for doing it, and if they did, they probably would have added the correct year. Just my opinion.

jppopma
12-20-2011, 10:03 PM
I agree with Packerfan, all jerseys that I have seen used year after year have had the tags still in them. The team doesn't really care what year the jerseys are from, especially when they are recycled for practice.

Some teams have been known to use the year tags to keep track of when they were purchased. That way they can track how much use they are getting out of them or use them for a set period of time (ex. 5 years use and out).

I'm sure if you looked at jerseys online, people removing the tags is likely not just a packers issue.