PDA

View Full Version : Is there really a market

yanks12025
12-16-2011, 11:15 PM
This may be off topic but it's about collecting in general. But does it seem to anyone else there's really no market for lower end/medium items. Like on this forum or eBay I can barely sell anything(when I do, its under value). Yet at the same time in a major auction house, there's the same item but less use going for 75 more than my asking. Anyone else notice this? Try to move some items quick, so price the stuff below market. But not good enough, has to be cheaper.

Jules9
12-16-2011, 11:43 PM
You always see items that sell for more on the major auction sites then they would on these and other forums. I remember seeing someone have a hard time selling an item for $125-$150 dollars, couldn't sell the item for months then someone came along bought it and put it up for sale at an auction site and it sold for $350.

I would think there are a lot of other collectors out there that don't even know about our game used sites or don't browse the sites and don't want to deal with ebay. There's a market for everything but if the people that want it don't know about it you can't sell it.

I think I remember reading that Meigray's customer data base is over 10,000 people but I doubt every one of them frequent the sites.

legaleagle92481
12-18-2011, 02:30 AM
The auction house effect is interesting I have a few ideas on it. 1. I think that alot of times people just want to pick up something and when items they would rather have exceed their price range or what they are willing to pay they settle for stuff just to get stuff. as a consequence the selling price ends up exceeding what you might get on Ebay. 2. Safety. People hear horror stories on Ebay about misdescribed or faked items and your relying on pics and information that some individual seller gives you. Alot of collectors have money to spend but just are not informed enough to know whats legit and whats not. These people are willing to pay extra to have some "expert" give it the ok. These people turn a blind eye to all the bad stuff that auction houses have passed off over the years. 3. Prestige. Which sounds more prestigious to tell your buddies I got this jersey from the X company holiday auction or from Ebay? I think most people would say the former. 4. The bargain hunters don't hit up the auctions as much as Ebay. On Ebay you get alot of people looking for stuff with the sole intention of flipping it. That doesn't happen at a GFC or Robert Edwards type auction because lets face it you are not going to be able to flip something you get from one of those auctions because of the top dollar sales price. So you get a different demographic looking at stuff on Ebay.