PDA

View Full Version : Old School Memphis Tigers practice jersey...or junk?

Preston
12-08-2011, 10:14 PM
Hey guys,

I stumbled upon what I believe to be an old school Tigers practice jersey - made by Champion. Though I've been a Tigers fan my whole life, I can't remember if they ever wore Champion in practice or in games or period. There is no number or name on the back, and it's got the feel of a practice jersey.

Anyone have any insight? Thanks in advance!

Preston
12-11-2011, 11:08 PM
bump - anyone able to help a brotha out?

both-teams-played-hard
12-11-2011, 11:15 PM
I am sure this is a practice worn jersey. Was number "55" a player of note in the early to mid 90s? I would guess that 60 percent of NCAA basketball teams wore Champion in that era. What other manufacturers made College hoop jerseys in the early 90s? Russell, Champion...who knows some other examples?

Preston
12-11-2011, 11:44 PM
I am sure this is a practice worn jersey. Was number "55" a player of note in the early to mid 90s? I would guess that 60 percent of NCAA basketball teams wore Champion in that era. What other manufacturers made College hoop jerseys in the early 90s? Russell, Champion...who knows some other examples?

Actually yeah - it was worn by Anthony Douglas from 1990-93 and then LORENZEN WRIGHT from 1994-96 - I'm really hoping (and thinking) it's Lorenzen's because it's a 2x and he was really dang tall!

Preston
12-22-2011, 11:57 PM
Well, after doing a little research...and finally using my brain, I have determined this IS Lorenzen Wright's practice jersey.

1. Memphis wasn't the "University of Memphis" until 1994...I was thinking it was 1993 or 94, wasn't too far off I don't guess.

2. Considering that #1 is true, it eliminates Anthony Douglas from being the "55" that could have worn it, as he played from 1990-93. Lorenzen played from 1994-96.

The only other remote possibility it could have been would have been Shamel Jones, who played from 1998-2000. Looks to be a bit older than that as it doesn't seem to fit the style of their jerseys from that era, moreso from Lorenzen's era.

So, to sum it up...I got VERY lucky that it was one of my favorite Tigers of all-time.

both-teams-played-hard
12-23-2011, 12:01 AM
Didn't Wright pass away, recently?

Preston
12-23-2011, 12:14 AM
Didn't Wright pass away, recently?

Yup...about a year and a half ago. He was a really good guy...there's still a lot of controversy about how Memphis police handled the situation and how he wasn't reported missing right away.

I remember getting to meet him as a kid, and still have the basketball he signed for me.

sportscentury
12-29-2011, 06:02 AM
Hey guys,

I stumbled upon what I believe to be an old school Tigers practice jersey - made by Champion. Though I've been a Tigers fan my whole life, I can't remember if they ever wore Champion in practice or in games or period. There is no number or name on the back, and it's got the feel of a practice jersey.

Anyone have any insight? Thanks in advance!

Hi Preston - please shoot me an email at gameusedequip2@hotmail.com. Thank you,
Reid

Preston
12-29-2011, 09:16 AM
Reid - email sent