PDA

View Full Version : Baseball Storage Tips

asr1084
12-06-2011, 09:10 PM
If I were to store a baseball in a closed space like a safe what is fhe best way to store a ball? Glass? Acrylic? What companies have good cases assuming price doesnt matter? Thanks all.

maverick14
12-06-2011, 09:35 PM
If you're storing in a safe you've already cut out the #1 enemy of baseballs which is sunlight. Just go ahead and put the ball in an acrylic ball cube as the ball isn't going to be out for display.

gnishiyama
12-06-2011, 09:46 PM
How you handle the balls before storing is just as important.
Although toning is inevitable a lot of times, wearing gloves or in the very
least washing your hands thoroughly and only handling the baseball by the
seams is very important. I'm convinced a lot of the balls tone or discolor
as a result of the athletes having grease, nicotine or etc. on their hands
when signing the balls.

I don't display my collection; I place balls in a sandwich baggie and store them
in acrylic ball cases in their original boxes in a dark, dry place.

I use Ultra Pro ball cases although I think handling and where you store
is a lot more important than what company's cases you use.

maverick14
12-06-2011, 10:20 PM
How you handle the balls before storing is just as important.
Although toning is inevitable a lot of times, wearing gloves or in the very
least washing your hands thoroughly and only handling the baseball by the
seams is very important. I'm convinced a lot of the balls tone or discolor
as a result of the athletes having grease, nicotine or etc. on their hands
when signing the balls.

I don't display my collection; I place balls in a sandwich baggie and store them
in acrylic ball cases in their original boxes in a dark, dry place.

I use Ultra Pro ball cases although I think handling and where you store
is a lot more important than what company's cases you use.

Great addition of info. My main collection is single-signed baseballs, particularly HOF. I thought I was the only crazy guy handling baseballs wearing white gloves :D nice to see I'm not alone.

Like he said, handle by the seems if you don't have gloves and always wash your hands. This is a must!!

I display the majority of my baseballs. The ones that don't get displayed get the same baggie and individual box method that Goh mentioned and I place them all in a large cardboard box in the closet.

asr1084
12-07-2011, 07:42 AM
Thanks guys! Great tips. I heard acrylic can soemtimes emit gases? SHould I go with a glass cube?

maverick14
12-07-2011, 11:01 AM
Thanks guys! Great tips. I heard acrylic can soemtimes emit gases? SHould I go with a glass cube?

I've never heard of this, maybe someone else can comment on this.
Did you read this somewhere?

asr1084
12-07-2011, 11:46 AM
I've never heard of this, maybe someone else can comment on this.
Did you read this somewhere?

I forget where I heard this.

gnishiyama
12-07-2011, 03:08 PM
I also heard that plastic baggies can leak chemicals onto the balls
and that placing the balls with signature down can cause the signature
to blow out due to gravity. I personally don't support these theories.

Keeping the balls out of direct sunlight and in a cool, dry environment
has proven to be important.

coxfan
12-07-2011, 03:25 PM
I could be wrong, but I think that grass stains on a ball tend to darken to look like dirt over time regardless of storage. I got one of the last-ever spring-training balls from Vero Beach before the Dodgers left there after more than 60 years. Apparently the grass stain turned dark despite despite its being stored in a totally dark environment.

So this might be considered in guessing the history of a g-u ball.

otismalibu
12-07-2011, 03:30 PM
I don't know about baseballs but it's not recommended to store leather garments in plastic bags for more than a relatively short period of time.

dplettn
12-07-2011, 03:42 PM
I could be wrong, but I think that grass stains on a ball tend to darken to look like dirt over time regardless of storage. I got one of the last-ever spring-training balls from Vero Beach before the Dodgers left there after more than 60 years. Apparently the grass stain turned dark despite despite its being stored in a totally dark environment.

So this might be considered in guessing the history of a g-u ball.

While I haven't taken and compared pictures to document this with certainty on stains, I believe to have observed this to some extent within even less than a year.

The other thing is... game balls that actually get grass embedded into the seems are most attractive while the grass is fresh IMHO. Then, I've been conscientious as the grass decays to move the ball minimally so as not to cause that decaying grass to shake out.

I'm curious what other things people who have collected longer than me have to contribute specific to GU balls. Since the balls were not "white" after being mudded then played with I don't suspect that indirect light is a concern of anyone, but I'm curious the thoughts of others.