PDA

View Full Version : Adirondack C and D model bats

sportscentury
09-24-2006, 12:59 PM
Mike S., Jim C., and others...

What are you thoughts on Adirondack C & D model bats. There was a Willie Mays bat on eBay recently (D model) that inspired this post:

http://cgi.ebay.com/WILLIE-MAYS-SIGNED-GAME-USED-BAT-VINTAGE-GIANTS_W0QQitemZ260030177877

I have seen some C and D model Adirondack bats offered over the years but I have heard different things regarding A and B model bats versus C and D model bats.

Thanks,
Reid

metsbats
09-24-2006, 03:16 PM
Here's what Vince Malta's book Bats has on C & D model Adirondacks:

"A controversy exists among collectors as to whether bats with model numbers on the knob followed by the letter C or D such as 282C or 288D, are professional player's models or are bats made for the minor league players, colleges, or store models, The same controversy exists for S model Adirondack bats made prior to 1968. Some collectors believe that Adirondack offered some C or D model bats both to the public and by catalog to professional players. The best evidence in favor of this position are instances of authentic game used C and D model bats coming directly from professional player's collections.

Therefore, as with H&B pro model Anaconda-Kaye bats discussed earlier, always judge a bat on more than model numbers and labeling. Consider the source of the bat, the quality of the wood, and the quantity and quality of the game used displayed"

(from Bats by Vince Malta p. 65.)

David

metsbats
09-24-2006, 03:21 PM
Here's what Vince Malta's book Bats has on C & D model Adirondacks:

"A controversy exists among collectors as to whether bats with model numbers on the knob followed by the letter C or D such as 282C or 288D, are professional player's models or are bats made for the minor league players, colleges, or store models, The same controversy exists for S model Adirondack bats made prior to 1968. Some collectors believe that Adirondack offered some C or D model bats both to the public and by catalog to professional players. The best evidence in favor of this position are instances of authentic game used C and D model bats coming directly from professional player's collections.

Therefore, as with H&B pro model Anaconda-Kaye bats discussed earlier, always judge a bat on more than model numbers and labeling. Consider the source of the bat, the quality of the wood, and the quantity and quality of the game used displayed"

(from Bats by Vince Malta p. 65.)

David

(from Bats by Vince Malta, Ronald Fox, Bill Riddell, and Mike Specht)

sportscentury
09-26-2006, 04:34 PM
David,

Thanks. I remember reading that section in BATS. I thought perhaps I could get some further thoughts on the matter ... but I'm not sure this is a topic of interest to folks. I sometimes see C, D, and X Adirondack models available and I always wish that I had more info.

Best,
Reid

zonker
09-26-2006, 05:37 PM
sportscentury i would love to have a copy of your list as i have both in my collection for example gil hodges 123d email me if you can at mcfresonke@hoymail.com

sportscentury
09-26-2006, 06:30 PM
sportscentury i would love to have a copy of your list as i have both in my collection for example gil hodges 123d email me if you can at mcfresonke@hoymail.com

Zonker,

I will gladly send you my list of available items. However, there are no C or D model Adirondack bats on the list. I don't think I've ever owned a C or D model Adirondack, for that matter.

Thanks for your interest and I'll get the list out to you.

Reid

metsbats
09-26-2006, 07:01 PM
Hi Reid,

I've never come across any C or D models however have own 'X' (Jose Canseco 1999 Adirondacks were nnnX model bats. I have a "S" model bat from 2005 of Jose Reyes model 456S. I think the S signifies "small" and the "X" may mean "large" is my guess based on the size of the Canseco and the size of the Reyes. I've also seen out there "V" model bats primarily Cleon Jones model 197Vs (I think).

If only Rawlings Adirondack records were available to us like HB records are....

-David

MSpecht
09-27-2006, 09:00 AM
Here's a link to a previous post on the subject, some of which has been covered in this thread..

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=2912

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com

sportscentury
09-27-2006, 09:09 AM
David and Mike,

Thanks very much.

Zonker,

I'm sending the list to you now - sorry for the delay.

Reid

sportscentury
09-27-2006, 09:24 AM

Zonks,

I'm assuming that you meant to write hotmail, not hoymail. Let me know if your email above is correct.

Thanks,
Reid