PDA

View Full Version : Vintage vs Modern Debate

kprst6
12-02-2011, 09:30 AM
Are vintage insignificant jerseys of common no name players really worth that of modern day superstars? Recently, I've seen a jersey from the 70's of Joe Common Player that most people never heard of sell for $7,500 (it was listed for sale for over 4+ years). Back then, there was no security tagging, little photo-graphs, and even fewer pictures/references of this no name player.

If I buy a significant modern day superstar jersey like an Aaron Rodgers, Sidney Crosby, or Albert Pujlos for around the same price $7,500... what will be worth more in 40 years? An 80 year old no name, with zero proof it was ever legitimate, or a then to be Vintage superstar HOF player with security tagging, photo-matches, Team COA's etc.

I stay away from no name players no matter how old. To me, the age of the jersey doesn't make it any more or less significant unless it was literally proven to be worn during a specific event such as the first ever game by the franchise, playoffs, championship, incident etc. I would rather spend my money on a modern 100% indisputable superstar for the same price than a common "vintage" jersey that can never and probably will never have indisputable evidence that its real (photo-match, COA, proof it wasn't just a preseason jersey, proof it wasn't an event worn jersey)

Just wondered what everyone's opinion is on this.

karamaxjoe
12-02-2011, 11:59 AM
I'm going to guess the Aaron Rodgers, Sidney Crosby, or Albert Pujols jerseys of the future will not rise much beyond what you paid for them since this crazy hobby will crank out a ton more of them.

I'd much rather have that 80 year old no name player jersey from my favorite team and I wouldn't care if I could prove it was worn or not. Jerseys from that era were made to be worn in games and not sold in stores. You can also be sure your common player jersey from 80 years ago is legitimate since the crooks would rather create a Lou Gehrig instead of a Wally Pipp.

I'll take the old rare jersey any day of the week over the modern superstar. Of course that's just my opinion and we all collect differently. I'm guessing the old guard will agree with me and the newer, younger collectors won't.

cohibasmoker
12-02-2011, 02:09 PM
I'm going to guess the Aaron Rodgers, Sidney Crosby, or Albert Pujols jerseys of the future will not rise much beyond what you paid for them since this crazy hobby will crank out a ton more of them.

I'd much rather have that 80 year old no name player jersey from my favorite team and I wouldn't care if I could prove it was worn or not. Jerseys from that era were made to be worn in games and not sold in stores. You can also be sure your common player jersey from 80 years ago is legitimate since the crooks would rather create a Lou Gehrig instead of a Wally Pipp.

I'll take the old rare jersey any day of the week over the modern superstar. Of course that's just my opinion and we all collect differently. I'm guessing the old guard will agree with me and the newer, younger collectors won't.

I'm with you. Vintage jerseys and helmets from back in the day are far and away harder to find than modern-day jerseys and helmets because the vintage stuff wasn't available on the retail market, most players didn't want their stuff and some NFL teams, like the Jets, gave their jerseys away to fans at the end of the year. What wasn't given away, was thrown away - yes thrown away. I collect Eagles items from the 1960's and in the past 30 years, I've seen perhaps 10 jerseys and even less helmets hit the market.

Today, players can order extras jerseys for their family members, friends, their agents or the person down the street who walks their dogs when they are away on road games. I don't even know how modern day jerseys can even be authenticated? As for Aaron Rogers, who knows how many jerseys he'll wear before he retires.

It may also be a generational thing. I grew-up watching the Eagles at Franklin Field and I would much rather have a Norm Snead or Ben Hawkins jersey rather than a Michael Vick or DeSean Jackson jersey.

Just an opinion.

both-teams-played-hard
12-02-2011, 03:01 PM
Thanks goodness there are collectors like karamaxjoe and cohibasmoker on this forum. I thought I was alone.

Wilson, Rawlings, durene and flannel...:)
Majestic, cool-base and dazzle-cloth...:confused:

sox83cubs84
12-02-2011, 03:22 PM
Mike, Jim and Warren:

You can add me to your group. It was rare back in the 1970's for any player in any sport to get more than 2 or 3 sets of jerseys in a year. Today, star players get a dozen or more.

I like the ironclad sourcing of current items when available, but the old stuff is much harder to find, and were made purely for game play...not resale opportunities.

Vintage....YES!!

Dave Miedema

genius
12-02-2011, 03:25 PM
This is just my opinion but a bigger problem for me is that today's retail jerseys have the exact same graphics as the actual gamers. Stand 10 feet away, wrinkle them up a bit, fold up the sleeves, and you can't tell the difference. Without clear and conclusive proof along the lines of a huge mark or tear easily photomatched there would be no interest in seeing them in a museum 50 years from now (again, my opinion). The best vintage jerseys do not need to be star players and do not need an LOA to bring satisfaction in owning them, the craftsmanship speaks for itself (my opinion once more!). Here's my favorite pickup this year:

karamaxjoe
12-02-2011, 03:30 PM
Thanks goodness there are collectors like karamaxjoe and cohibasmoker on this forum. I thought I was alone.

Wilson, Rawlings, durene and flannel...:)
Majestic, cool-base and dazzle-cloth...:confused:

I don't hang here as much as I used to, but it's good to see some of the old timers still frequent this site and talk about the vintage stuff. Most of the chatter appears to revolve around anything from the past few years.

Oh Warren......where can I get me some of that dazzle-cloth? I might have an old suit in the back of my closet made of that. :D

staindsox
12-02-2011, 04:44 PM
I don't hang here as much as I used to, but it's good to see some of the old timers still frequent this site and talk about the vintage stuff.

Add me to that list!

I had been searching over ten years for a St. Paul Saints game used jersey (the 1902-1960 franchise) and had to pay through the nose to get it when one finally became available. I have been told by several longtime collectors that there are only a handful known to exist; fewer than the number your average player is issued every single season.

I doubt I will ever find another one of these.

Chris

staindsox
12-02-2011, 04:58 PM
Same goes for bats. Every single cracked bat is saved and sold today. How many Cano or Pujols bats have we seen in the past month? How many Lute "Danny" Boone bats do you think are still out there? Each vintage item is truly one of a kind, even if it wasn't used by a big name.

mickeymbz
12-02-2011, 09:52 PM
c'mon ..NO brainer... vintage any day of the week. i back the post where they would take a vintage common over a modern star... easily. vintage shirts just has way more vibe to them. modern shirts are like modern built homes....absolute zero personality

misteremu
12-03-2011, 12:00 AM
I'll take a common player jersey pre-1990 over a superstar modern day jersey any day...too may fakes and too may jerseys issued every year to justify the high prices realized....I would dare to say not too many people fake a common player jersey pre-1990....

mickeymbz
12-03-2011, 12:18 AM
I'll take a common player jersey pre-1990 over a superstar modern day jersey any day...too may fakes and too may jerseys issued every year to justify the high prices realized....I would dare to say not too many people fake a common player jersey pre-1990....

the fake nba shirts started appearing regularly during 92/93..thanx to msauction

Dewey2007
12-03-2011, 01:21 AM
Great post topic. I think I fall into the vintage camp but with that said the majority of my collection is modern day just because they have been much easier for me to acquire. Vintage jerseys have so much more character though.

One of the few vintage jersey I have in my collection, a 1972 Chris Speier SF Giants flannel road jersey, is a favorite along with the two 1930s semi-pro baseball jerseys I acquired when I was a kid.

While cool to look at, I think the one thing that turns me off a little about possibly adding a vintage baseball jersey to my collection is so many of them have been restored or recycled through the minor leagues with number changes. Not much you can do about that though since that was the way it was done back in the day but it's just something that I have to try and look past when considering adding one to my collection since there are not to many originals left. I've held off on bidding on a couple because they had been restored by the owners which is different to me then if the team did it themselves.

I'm always unsure too of what the official measuring stick is for something to be considered vintage. Is it something that is 20 years old or more?

G1X
12-03-2011, 03:52 AM
Great thread! I mainly collect football jerseys, and nothing beats a durene jersey in my humble opinion. Whenever someone looks at my collection, they are drawn immediately to the durene jerseys.

I've included a few photos. Hope you enjoy!

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange
gixc@verizon.net

Always looking for NFL/AFL durene jerseys, World Football League jerseys, Atlanta Falcons jerseys, and Willie McGee and Darren Lewis game-used items.

xpress34
12-03-2011, 10:15 AM
I'm always unsure too of what the official measuring stick is for something to be considered vintage. Is it something that is 20 years old or more?

Dewey -

20 years would put you at 1991 and I would imagine not too many people here consider the 80's and early 90's 'vintage' - except maybe some of our younger collector's... ;)

Anyway, I use the same yardstick that is used in the card collecting side of the hobby - roughly 1976/77 and early is considered vintage.

As far as the Original Topic of this thread - I too prefer vintage and am slowly moving out my modern stuff for vintage...

I will still keep a few key modern pieces:

Jason Giambi 2009 Rockies Uni - photo matched to 1st game w/ Rox AND his 1st card ina Rox Uni.

Eric Young Jr 2009 Rockies Uni - photomatched to 1st (and still ONLY) MLB HR at bat (I recovered that HR - my 1st as well).

As far as REAL vintage - I can't afford GU of many of the stars I like, so I am slowly building a nice Mitchell & Ness Collection - signed if possible - of the 'flannel' jerseys. They still display very nicely.

All the best -

Smitty

karamaxjoe
12-03-2011, 10:19 AM
I've recently sold a bunch of my modern jerseys, but I'll never be able to part with my vintage stuff since it's just impossible to find replacements. No jersey today compares with the feel and look of a vintage flannel.

Dewey2007
12-03-2011, 11:10 AM
Hey Smitty,

Yeah, I wouldn't consider 1991 vintage but starting around the mid 70's sounds about right. Others might disagree but I know different hobbies have different qualifications for this type of thing so I thought I'd throw it out there. I guess we'll have to wait another 10-15 years for 1991 to be considered vintage!!

The reason I mentioned the 20 year example is there is an antiques fair here where I live and I remember that sellers cannot sell anything that is less then 20 years old. They even have people walking around checking items. Once when I went, I distinctly remember a guy told someone to put away some Toy Story dolls because they didn't meet the age requirement.

Dewey -

20 years would put you at 1991 and I would imagine not too many people here consider the 80's and early 90's 'vintage' - except maybe some of our younger collector's... ;)

Anyway, I use the same yardstick that is used in the card collecting side of the hobby - roughly 1976/77 and early is considered vintage.

As far as the Original Topic of this thread - I too prefer vintage and am slowly moving out my modern stuff for vintage...

I will still keep a few key modern pieces:

Jason Giambi 2009 Rockies Uni - photo matched to 1st game w/ Rox AND his 1st card ina Rox Uni.

Eric Young Jr 2009 Rockies Uni - photomatched to 1st (and still ONLY) MLB HR at bat (I recovered that HR - my 1st as well).

As far as REAL vintage - I can't afford GU of many of the stars I like, so I am slowly building a nice Mitchell & Ness Collection - signed if possible - of the 'flannel' jerseys. They still display very nicely.

All the best -

Smitty

camarokids
12-03-2011, 05:23 PM
I've recently sold a bunch of my modern jerseys, but I'll never be able to part with my vintage stuff since it's just impossible to find replacements. No jersey today compares with the feel and look of a vintage flannel.

Nice looking jerseys and display!!!!! :cool:

cohibasmoker
12-04-2011, 11:57 AM
Ah - its good to be out - LOL

Jim

flaa1a@comcast.net

Gridiron Heroes
12-04-2011, 12:07 PM
I'm w/ the vitange crowd. Fortunately for me, most of the former Minnesota Gophers I collect are/were "common" players in the NFL. I'm w/ Mark on the durene jerseys too. Those are sweet! And I'll take a vintage helmet over a modern helmet any day of the week.

Shawn Kennedy
GopherJerseys.com
GiridironHeroes.net
gridironheroes22@yahoo.com

flaco1801
12-04-2011, 12:34 PM
these modern shirts will never attain the value of vintage shirts... there are just too many produced... hundreds of game issued will become game used after just a few washings... the majority of players (prior to 1980) didnt even keep any for themselves, they were shipped in bulk to the bushes to be worn to shreds...finding these "vintage" shirts with all their character is what makes a sport of this hobby...i remember when set 3 were mainly issed to catchers who regularly abused their equiptment more than position players...what it boils down to, is people collect their own time frame, you cant make the younger fans like what we saw 30 years ago... collect what you like and dont expect to make money, just collect for the love of the game...

G1X
12-04-2011, 12:56 PM
flaco,
Well said, especially your last two comments (the last one in particular).

Jim,
Great display! Some awesome helmets and jerseys on that wall.

Nothing against modern jerseys as I have some in my collection. However, I personally feel that the prices of the newer stuff can be a bit overwhelming, especially football jerseys. That's a whole different topic for another day, so I won't hijack this great thread with that discussion.

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange
gixc@verizon.net

Always looking for World Football League jerseys, AFL/NFL durene jerseys, Atlanta Falcons jerseys, and Willie McGee and Darren Lewis game-used items.

gingi79
12-04-2011, 01:16 PM
I agree it's all about perspective and what means the most to you. I personally would take a vintage common that's photomatched over a superstar jersey of the modern age.

I always use Sidney Crosby and Gordie Howe as an example in this debate. Let's say Crosby lives up the hype and surpasses Howe and Gretzky's records. If he plays 15 seasons he will wear roughly 12 jerseys a season. That means there will be 180 game worns of his in the hobby and nearly all of them will be accessible to collectors. Originally, Crosby's jerseys sold for $25k and for that price you could obtain one of Howe or Gretzky's jerseys. Since 1994, I can only recall maybe 5 of their jerseys combined that were made available for sale at auctions.

Sure, the odds are that you could photomatch a Crosby even though they have normally light wear. However, there will be 160 nearly identical jerseys to yours. How many Gretzky's will there be at that point? How many Howe's? Not to mention every one of them is just destroyed with use which, as we know, dictates higher prices than one with less wear.

Another glowing example since many of us came from the baseball card hobby before this one. Honus Wagner's T-206 card is worth so much money because of how rare it is. There are like 12 in the world if I remember correctly. As time goes on, the Wagner will retain it's value and become more rare while players with better numbers and are more recognized by modern fans will be worthless by comparison.

Of course I am still holding out hope that my Brien Taylor card will become priceless again. :D

both-teams-played-hard
12-04-2011, 01:24 PM
One of my favorites. 1965 Seattle Chieftains, Charlie Williams. Not a warm-up, but a short-sleeved game jersey. Williams was involved in a point shaving scandal. He was found to be not guilty, but was banned for life from the NBA. He had a very good career in the ABA. This may have been the last jersey he wore at SU, before he was expelled. Nylon/durene cotton blend knit with piped trim:

http://i26.tinypic.com/34srsde.jpg
http://i31.tinypic.com/vx2f0x.jpg
http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/5802/charliewilliamssonicsne.png

invintagewetrust
12-07-2011, 10:02 AM
Collecting anything vintage requires a encyclopedic knowledge of variations in both style and how a company tagged a specific garment, plate, chair or what ever you collect. In most cases the knowledge is passed down from collector to collector. Collecting and buying legitimate modern day garments in any facet of collecting is much easier as most of the companies that make them are still in business, and for the most part there is an abundance of info on the web.

I frequently buy vintage for considerable coin, not because they were worn by a fantastic player, but because, well in a lot of cases they really don't exist. A lot of the posts in this thread have been dead on. In some cases there might only be 2-3 examples in circulation of a particular style of jersey. The world of vintage jersey collecting also borders on people outside of the game used community and taps into people that collect vintage clothing, era specific garments from a city, etc.

The debate on why an older shirt worn by a no name player would fetch the same money as a star player with deadbolt provenance is really all in the eye of the beholder. I can't believe in most cases why anyone would spend a quarter of what a modern shirt would go for. Depending on how long a player has been in the league, there might be as many as 25-30 shirts of the SAME PLAYER in circulation.

I think another factor which makes vintage jerseys and memorabilia in general intriguing is that these garments are obviously not made the same way, and in some cases the companies that originally made these items have destroyed the machines or in some cases the mills that sold them the yards for the original shirts are long gone. When you hold an item like that in your hands, its definitely special.

both-teams-played-hard
12-07-2011, 10:55 AM
I think another factor which makes vintage jerseys and memorabilia in general intriguing is that these garments are obviously not made the same way, and in some cases the companies that originally made these items have destroyed the machines or in some cases the mills that sold them the yards for the original shirts are long gone. When you hold an item like that in your hands, its definitely special.
Absolutely. I am more of a "fan" of jersey collecting, than I am a sports fan.

commando
12-07-2011, 01:36 PM
This pro-vintage attitude is the spirit behind the photos I posted of the Super Bowl II Packers practice. The team recycled game jerseys for practice, and in these photos the players are not even wearing their correct numbers. Hall of Fame quarterback Bart Starr, whose uniform number was 15, is seen here wearing a number 51 jersey (which was originally worn in games by center Jim Ringo, who also happens to be in the Hall of Fame).

I guaran-damn-tee ya that most of these jerseys were all thrown away after basically falling apart.

invintagewetrust
12-07-2011, 02:28 PM
In that second photo the numbers on Bart's shirt are basically falling off as he's following through on his throw. You're right, lots of stuff was thrown away. I've heard countless stories from collectors about stuff they've recovered in the dump behind stadiums. Be it none of these stories are from the past 25 years or so, but that stuff did happen.

gingi79
12-07-2011, 02:48 PM
This pro-vintage attitude is the spirit behind the photos I posted of the Super Bowl II Packers practice. The team recycled game jerseys for practice, and in these photos the players are not even wearing their correct numbers. Hall of Fame quarterback Bart Starr, whose uniform number was 15, is seen here wearing a number 51 jersey (which was originally worn in games by center Jim Ringo, who also happens to be in the Hall of Fame).

I guaran-damn-tee ya that most of these jerseys were all thrown away after basically falling apart.

Using that second photo, you could photomatch a jersey being used by two different HOF players. In 1960, it was a useless rag and may have been thrown away or thrown to a kid. How much would it be worth today? Packers collectors are like Steelers collectors, the good stuff sells high.

And how many jerseys have been photo matched to two separate HOF players!?!

legaleagle92481
12-09-2011, 01:29 AM
It depends on the player for me. If its one of my must have guys I buy it. Some are vintage others are modern.

solarlottry
12-09-2011, 02:37 AM
I would have to know the definition of "vintage" as I am sure that various collectors consider different time frames as such. Technically if an item is 20 or more years old it is considered vintage but I have seen vintage also used to describe items that are 7 years or older. To me 7 years seems WAY too short of a time frame for an item to be "vintage"!

As a 49er collector who has a # of different 49er collectors as friends, it is interesting to hear what each one considers vintage.

I have one friend who has 49er gamers from 1946 to 1994 and he considers the 1946-1960s items to be "vintage". I know 2 or 3 other collectors who consider early to mid 1980s jerseys as vintage. They are both correct according to the dictionary!

Teams view their uniforms very differently than they did even 5-10 years ago. Many teams who NEVER sold anything are now selling some items at huge $$$ amounts and are not having a problem selling whatever they list in their pro-shop (Packers for example).

Other like the 49ers have sold their gamers on and off for over 30 years. One of my friends has cancelled checks from 1987, written to the 49ers, for the purchase of GU jerseys.

I consider all of my pre 1990 49er gamers as vintage as, except for a few select players, the majority of players wore 2 home and 2 away shirts the entire season. Also practice shirts were recycled gamers without the nameplate. A player lucky enough to wear #64 or #74 wound up wearing Fred Dean's or Hacksaw Reynolds's gamers as practice shirts.

In fact the 1994 team all wore 1980s and in some cases late 70s gamers, as practice shirts. Ken Norton wore an old Randy Cross gamer in practice for the 2 weeks preceding the SB.

Even though Montana and Rice (to a lesser extent) wore one shirt a game for almost all of 1988-1990, his vintage gamers from those seasons are all but impossible to locate and purchase.

Some of my favorite GU 49er shirts are from 1994. Many are recycled from 1991-1993 and depending on the player, were worn in multiple games. Although, technically, these shirts are not yet "vintage" (I guess I have to wait a couple more years!) they are well made, have good game use, repairs and customizations which imparts the "character" that I love and crave in a GU item. Since the 94 throwbacks were based on the teams 1955 uniforms their is almost a built in vintage quality to them.

I am much more careful with my budget when buying todays gamers. As multiple posters have stated-one shirt from players you like is enough these days. They wear too many and with so many out in the marketplace for sale or being sold that "specialness" is sometimes lost.

I will almost always buy any 49er gamer from 1981-1994 but after that I become much more thrifty and critical in my decision making process.

I think we ALL enjoy seeing the vintage items from baseball, hoops and football.The fact that it is so difficult to acquire makes it even more special!

If anyone wants to sell me a Fred Dean, Russ Francis, Freddie Solomon or a Hacksaw Reynolds feel free to contact me at any time!!! I am always in the mood to expand my "vintage" collection!!!

Paul
garciajones@yahoo.com

Some vintage gamer images including mid 80s Lott, Fuller, Haley, 1989 Montana, 1994 Hanks uniform with jersey recycled from 1992, 1993 Romo uni worn entire season and a Joe Cribbs 1986 uniform complete with rare 40th Anniversary patch.

commando
12-09-2011, 08:51 PM
The Winston-Salem Cardinals were a minor league team, sponsored by the St. Louis Cardinals, that existed from 1945-1953. Major Leaguers that played for the team include Johnny Klippstein, Hal Rice, Steve Bilko, Harvey Haddix, Rip Repulski, Stu Miller, Don Blasingame and Hall of Famer Earl Weaver, to name a few. This heavy jacket was worn by a player with the nickname "Chubby" (his name is embroidered on a tag in the pocket.

I'm telling you, this piece is so incredibly vintage it makes you want to punch your mamma. You can bet that even advanced Cardinals collectors have never seen one of these.... There's just no way to compare this to a "Starter" jacket from the 1990s.

both-teams-played-hard
12-09-2011, 09:42 PM
That's a mighty fine Cardinals jacket. The "Chubby" name swatch is golden.:)

commando
12-09-2011, 09:50 PM
That's a mighty fine Cardinals jacket. The "Chubby" name swatch is golden.:)

Thanks... And hey, you're just the fellow to ask....

I thought this might be a travel jacket, since they were standard travel wear for many teams back in the day. But this has a zipper front and is quite heavy (outdoor jacket heavy, and too heavy for my 3-pound mail scale to measure), which leads me to believe this may have been a "bench jacket" worn over their uniforms. Kind of a classy hybrid.

Any ideas?

invintagewetrust
12-09-2011, 11:52 PM
First of all that's a great looking cards jacket, definitely have never seen one. Love the longer car club styling on it, and bakelite buttons on the cuffs.

I would lean towards this being a traveling jacket because of the longer fit, very 50s.

Vintage athletic jackets are so rich in history and craftsmanship, in my opinion they bring so much more to the table then a jersey can.

both-teams-played-hard
12-10-2011, 12:21 AM
I would lean towards this being a traveling jacket because of the longer fit, very 50s.

It is really hard to say without some sort of style match. I would think a separate jacket for traveling for a minor league team is rare, but possible. I know teams from all levels wore heavy wool jackets in the dugout, too.

karamaxjoe
12-10-2011, 09:50 AM
The Winston-Salem Cardinals were a minor league team, sponsored by the St. Louis Cardinals, that existed from 1945-1953. Major Leaguers that played for the team include Johnny Klippstein, Hal Rice, Steve Bilko, Harvey Haddix, Rip Repulski, Stu Miller, Don Blasingame and Hall of Famer Earl Weaver, to name a few. This heavy jacket was worn by a player with the nickname "Chubby" (his name is embroidered on a tag in the pocket.

I'm telling you, this piece is so incredibly vintage it makes you want to punch your mamma. You can bet that even advanced Cardinals collectors have never seen one of these.... There's just no way to compare this to a "Starter" jacket from the 1990s.

Did you ever figure out who Chubby was? I found a prewar player named Chubby Dean that retired after the war, but still coached and managed in the minors. The one thing that may tie him to the jacket was that he was inducted into the Winston Salem Baseball Hall of Fame in 2004.

invintagewetrust
12-10-2011, 03:14 PM
I did some fairly nonchalant online research to see if I could get a photo of someone on the Cardinals wearing the aforementioned jacket, alas I did not. What I did find was this blog entry, http://boblemke.blogspot.com/2011/05/1950-winston-salem-cardinals.html

The gentleman who owns the blog writes about how he owns an entire scrapbook of the early 1950's minor league Cardinals team, who knows maybe there's a photo of the jacket in action in that scrapbook!

commando
12-10-2011, 06:17 PM
Thanks for all the help, guys.... The Chubby Dean lead seems promising, definitely something to look into. The Winston-Salem Cardinals jacket is just one example of how much fun it is to find an older piece of sports history, then have to do a bit of legwork and research to figure out exactly what you have. On another thread someone found an old "Harlem" basketball jersey, which is another great example. I would much rather spend my time researching a vintage item like this, as opposed to trying to figure out whether a newer authentic jersey with no provenance was really issued by a team!

staindsox
12-10-2011, 07:01 PM
I did some fairly nonchalant online research to see if I could get a photo of someone on the Cardinals wearing the aforementioned jacket, alas I did not. What I did find was this blog entry, http://boblemke.blogspot.com/2011/05/1950-winston-salem-cardinals.html

The gentleman who owns the blog writes about how he owns an entire scrapbook of the early 1950's minor league Cardinals team, who knows maybe there's a photo of the jacket in action in that scrapbook!

Bob is great. He used to edit the big SCD card book. Drop him an email. I would bet that he would be happy to help.