PDA

View Full Version : Official helmet of the NFL

BrianK
11-28-2011, 05:42 PM
I noticed several uncovered Schutt logos on Raider helmets yesterday. They're really just embossed, but still visible. Are there any ramifications for this? Are the Raiders fined by the league, for example? Wishing no harm to my home team.

UGA-1
11-28-2011, 07:34 PM
Im not an NFL guy but I i think players are allowed to wear equipment from any manufacturer they choose as long as that brand name is covered/removed. This is a stipulation created by "official NFL" companies like Riddell.
Im pretty sure Riddell supplies helmets to the NFL teams for free in order to be labeled "The official helmet of the NFL". The trade off is no other helmet manufacturer name can be displayed.
I have heard the NFL mandates that every team has to have a certain percentage of players wearing Riddell helmets in order to not violate the contract with Riddell.

If any of this is not correct, someone please update me. AND, looking at that pic, I would think there would be a fine for that Shutt neck pad not being covered.

John in KY
11-29-2011, 09:51 PM
I think these are okay as long as the "Schutt" doesn't have the black printing on it like the retail Schutt helmets. Some teams must sand the raised letters off their Schutt helmets, others cover it with their team logo, and some teams (it could be a "player's choice") tuck the rear snubber up into the shell.

I believe the NFL/Riddell is ending either after this season or after the 2012 season and Goodell doesn't want to renew it - they want players to wear whatever helmet brand/style they want to wear without giving any preference to one manufacturer. I guess we will either see the logos for all brands or all teams will cover the manufacturer logos with their own logo.