PDA

View Full Version : Mcgwire bat question

Newman
11-28-2011, 02:25 PM
Hi Guys

I have a mcgwire rawlings bat (dark blue ring) with the following on the knob (MM 466 O O29 3) - looks like an early career bat 1986?

Cant find much info on him ever using a 466 0 model bat and the 3 on the knob would normally indicate 1993, but this is definitely an early career bat. Also, his number (25) is written in black marker at the top and bottom of the bat.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

sox83cubs84
11-28-2011, 04:41 PM
Maybe someone who knows Rawlings/Adirondack bats would be better equipped to give a definitive answer, but I've always though that, on lighter colored bats, the "Pro Ring" was color coded to the team the player was with. I would think that A's bats would havev a green ring and Cardinals bats would have a red ring. Photos would help an awful lot on this, if you can supply them.

Dave Miedema

xpress34
11-28-2011, 06:10 PM
Maybe someone who knows Rawlings/Adirondack bats would be better equipped to give a definitive answer, but I've always though that, on lighter colored bats, the "Pro Ring" was color coded to the team the player was with. I would think that A's bats would havev a green ring and Cardinals bats would have a red ring. Photos would help an awful lot on this, if you can supply them.

Dave Miedema

Dave -

While working for Rawlings, I asked this question of the 'Pro Rep' for the Rockies as I had seen a few Rockies bats with Purple Pro Rings, some with Black Pro Rings and some with Blue Pro Rings (?).

According to him, there is NO 'team coloring' theme to the rings. They will try to get players bats with team colored ring if possible, but at the end of the day there is no rhyme or reason to the Pro Ring color.

The bats are made with different color rings based on batch, date made, etc. That was the last I ever heard about it, so it is possible that McGwire had a Blue Pro Ring bat in Oakland.

For the Record, the ONLY Pro Ring Colors I have ever seen are:

Silver (on Black Bats)
Gold (on Black Bats)
Dark Blue, Red, Black and Purple. I have never seen Orange, Yellow, Green, etc.

- Smitty

jsage
11-28-2011, 07:28 PM
Dave -

While working for Rawlings, I asked this question of the 'Pro Rep' for the Rockies as I had seen a few Rockies bats with Purple Pro Rings, some with Black Pro Rings and some with Blue Pro Rings (?).

According to him, there is NO 'team coloring' theme to the rings. They will try to get players bats with team colored ring if possible, but at the end of the day there is no rhyme or reason to the Pro Ring color.

The bats are made with different color rings based on batch, date made, etc. That was the last I ever heard about it, so it is possible that McGwire had a Blue Pro Ring bat in Oakland.

For the Record, the ONLY Pro Ring Colors I have ever seen are:

Silver (on Black Bats)
Gold (on Black Bats)
Dark Blue, Red, Black and Purple. I have never seen Orange, Yellow, Green, etc.

- Smitty
Smitty -
I have a Mark McGwire Pro bat - Game Used 1988 World Series -it has a Green Ring.

Birdbats
11-28-2011, 08:02 PM
I have never seen Orange, Yellow, Green, etc.

I have two orange-ring bats hanging in my office -- an Astros Mike Scott and an Orioles Luke Scott. This site has several photos of McGwire's Oakland bats with green rings. I've seen white rings on black Rawlings bats, along with silver and gold.

A McGwire bat with a blue ring is suspicious, in my opinion. Would love to see photos.

Newman
11-28-2011, 08:02 PM
Thanks Dave and Smitty

The rawlings bat (dark blue rings) looks like the ones Mcgwire is holding in the attached pic

Birdbats
11-28-2011, 08:27 PM
Color seems off in the photo. The batting helmets and Mark's belt look blue, too. We know that's not the case.

rj_lucas
11-28-2011, 10:14 PM

Rboitano
11-28-2011, 10:30 PM
Those are green rings, I have never seen a blue ring Mac. And those are too many digits to be stamped on that era of a Rawlings bat.

ironmanfan
11-28-2011, 10:44 PM
Dave -

According to him, there is NO 'team coloring' theme to the rings.

- Smitty

FWIW, I have a hard time believeing this

dougiedshow
11-28-2011, 11:09 PM
JSAGE- Does your 1988 World Series bat have a batch and year number? I have one that came from a very reputible source and is signed 88 world series, but only has the model number and no batch or year on knob. Just curious. I have ran across a few Rawlings with just model numbers...

xpress34
11-28-2011, 11:31 PM
FWIW, I have a hard time believeing this

Just telling you what I was told... not saying it's the gospel... as we all know, plenty of people work in industries or jobs where they don't always know what they are talking about....

- Smitty

xpress34
11-28-2011, 11:34 PM
I have two orange-ring bats hanging in my office -- an Astros Mike Scott and an Orioles Luke Scott. This site has several photos of McGwire's Oakland bats with green rings. I've seen white rings on black Rawlings bats, along with silver and gold.

A McGwire bat with a blue ring is suspicious, in my opinion. Would love to see photos.

Jeff -

I did forget to list the white rings (on black bats) that you mentioned...

As I said before, the list I made were the only colors I had ever seen...

- Smitty

BostonSportsFan
11-28-2011, 11:53 PM
Jeff -

I did forget to list the white rings (on black bats) that you mentioned...

As I said before, the list I made were the only colors I had ever seen...

- Smitty

Smitty

Not to derail the thread could you shoot me an email a jmahoney252@yahoo.com. I have a question/comment to pass along.

Thanks,

Joe

xpress34
11-29-2011, 12:48 AM
Smitty

Not to derail the thread could you shoot me an email a jmahoney252@yahoo.com. I have a question/comment to pass along.

Thanks,

Joe

Joe -

eMail sent.

- Smitty

panthrotc
12-09-2011, 08:36 AM
As far to my knowledge I have never seen a McGwire bat with a blue ring.
I would never buy one either. Every McGwire bat I have ever seen had a green ring with the A's or red with cardinals.

The photo posted of Mac earlier are with blue ring bats.
The blue bats Are not McGwires , I would easily bet my 9 Bat GU McGwire collection On my guess.

panthrotc
12-09-2011, 08:39 AM
As far to my knowledge I have never seen a McGwire bat with a blue ring.
I would never buy one either. Every McGwire bat I have ever seen had a green ring with the A's or red with cardinals.

The photo posted of Mac earlier are with blue ring bats.
The blue bats Are not McGwires , I would easily bet my 9 Bat GU McGwire collection On my guess.

CORRECTION -

I meant to say GREEN RING bats

"The photo posted of Mac earlier are with blue ring bats.
The blue bats Are not McGwires , I would easily bet my 9 Bat GU McGwire collection On my guess."