PDA

View Full Version : 1976 World Series Cleats - Sparky Lyle Yankees

commando
11-26-2011, 01:55 PM
I am selling a pair of cleats that were owned by former Cy Young winner and All-Star reliever Sparky Lyle, which were made for Lyle in recognition of the 1976 World Series. They were not used, and any wear on the cleats are incidental to their age of 35 years. The look of these one-of-a-kind cleats are pretty self-explanatory, but they also come with a detailed, notarized letter signed by Sparky Lyle himself! One paragraph reads:

"I have now consigned my 1976 New York Yankees, unused World Series cleats from my personal collection for auction with The Memorabilia Road Show hosted by Ed Kranepool, LLC."

The 1976 Series was a classic confrontation between the Yankees and much-feared "Big Red Machine." The Yankees could not handle the potent offense of Bench, Morgan and Rose, but Sparky Lyle did his part for the Yanks, pitching 2.2 innings of relief without allowing a run and notching three strikeouts. The following year, Lyle and the Yankees would be victorious in the famous '77 Series versus the Dodgers. Sparky grabbed the crucial Game 1 win and pitched a total of 4.2 relief innings in the 1977 Series, allowing just one earned run.

Equipment from a mid-1970s Yankees star with this kind of provenance is almost unheard of. It will be a significant addition to anyone's collection! I am asking $300 and $10 for Priority Mail shipping, delivery confirmation and full insurance. Email me at policefan71@yahoo.com and thank you for looking!