PDA

View Full Version : Question about Red Sox Alternate Jerseys From Eric Atkinson Through Vintage Authentics

trsent
11-21-2011, 01:28 PM
Does anyone know any history about all the Boston Red Sox jerseys sold by Vintage Authentics with notarized letters from Eric Atkinson who claims in the letter he obtained the jerseys "From the team at Fenway Park".

I am not familiar with Eric Atkinson, but I am familiar with VA and Lou Lampson, who wrote letters for the two jerseys I got that have been graded "9.0". I know this grade means nothing, but what does anyone know about Eric Atkinson and his source with The Red Sox.

I searched Eric's name on this forum and I didn't find much about him.

I obtained two of these jerseys in a collection and I have to determine more about them and their history before listing them for sale.

Any help would be appreciated.

gameused
11-21-2011, 02:03 PM
Joel,

I think this is the same guy that would contact me on Red Sox items via email, never bought anything from him and I haven't heard from him in years. I may still have his email somewhere. I'll check and get back with you.

Thanks,
Bobby

Mulligans
11-21-2011, 02:09 PM
Active member on the forum.

trsent
11-21-2011, 02:16 PM
Joel,

I think this is the same guy that would contact me on Red Sox items via email, never bought anything from him and I haven't heard from him in years. I may still have his email somewhere. I'll check and get back with you.

Thanks,
Bobby

Thanks, Bobby, let me know.

Active member on the forum.

I see two Eric Atkinson's registered on the forum:

"Scottsdale" and "bosoxfan4life"

Hopefully he will reply to this thread. I am just confused why Vintage had him sign a notarized letter (the notary was for Steve Jensen's signature only, by the way) stating the jerseys came from the team at Fenway Park.

They are from 2007-2008 so it wasn't that long ago. Here are two links to the VA auctions so I don't have to post pictures:

http://www.vintagesportsauthentics.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=13494

http://www.vintagesportsauthentics.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=13495

I can only assume these jerseys came from the team, my concern is how to be sure they were game used as that is how they were sold by Eric Atkinson and Vintage Authentics.

gameused
11-21-2011, 02:38 PM
Here's the email I have: ejsamm@yahoo.com

The last time he emailed me was in 2009, not sure if this address is his current email.

Thanks,
Bobby

NEFAN
11-21-2011, 02:43 PM
I used to get some good Patriots stuff from him. Our last deal was a couple years ago and it went south. Haven't heard from him since.

matt
11-21-2011, 07:17 PM
Joel - I own an identical Youkilis 2008 red alt cool base jersey that I bought from Steiner and has an MLB holo. I photo matched it to grand slam he hit by very clear loose threads here on the forum a couple years ago. You may be able to find the thread here if you search on my username and Youkilis.

The tagging and size are correct on your jersey, and perhaps he wore 2 of them that year. Mine does show some wash wear on the tags and bleeding onto the strip tag, and it looks like yours is pretty fresh. I am traveling, but if you want I can mail you photos of my jersey when I get home if it would help

Thanks for all your contributions to the forum over the years

Matt Miller

matt
11-21-2011, 07:20 PM
Shouldn't the Ells jersey have strip tagging in 07-08? Dave or Bobby?

Matt

trsent
11-21-2011, 07:40 PM
Shouldn't the Ells jersey have strip tagging in 07-08? Dave or Bobby?

Matt

Matt, not that it means anything, but all the jerseys without strip tags that VA sold without strip tags were dated 2007-2008.

karamaxjoe
11-21-2011, 09:27 PM
Eric used to go by the user name 1986&2004 Bosox. You might remember this thread from a few years ago.

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=23738&highlight=fred+lynn

trsent
11-22-2011, 07:28 PM
Thanks for all the help everyone. I received the following email below from Eric and we later spoke on the phone. I feel confident into the history of these jersey coming from The Red Sox after this:

"Joel i bought 381 i believe was the total from the red sox directly at the great fenway yard sale the first year and probally another 100 plus the next 2 years. In addition i have bought seats bats signs retired player banners and world series championship banners ball bags and pine tar rags. You name it i bought it. They know me very well over at fenway and id be happy to provide contact info if needed. Even have the sign from the sale that listed many names. Jerseys spaned 1990 thru 2008 still have many in my collection including gagne 2007 world series jersey st pats etc."

matt
11-23-2011, 05:16 PM
I have no doubt these are legit jerseys from the Red sox. The question is whether they are game issued or game used. I am under the impresision that in both 2007 and 2008 every jersey received the strip tagging before being put in service. Thus the concern on the Ells jersey. Was looking for another expert to verify that for you.

Matt Miller

trsent
11-23-2011, 06:57 PM
I have no doubt these are legit jerseys from the Red sox. The question is whether they are game issued or game used. I am under the impresision that in both 2007 and 2008 every jersey received the strip tagging before being put in service. Thus the concern on the Ells jersey. Was looking for another expert to verify that for you.

Matt Miller

Matt, in talking to Eric he said the jerseys came both with and without the strip tagging right from The Red Sox. He also said they clearly sold the jerseys all labeled as game used at the sale.

When I list these for sale I will title them as game used and describe how that was determined with the description of the item. I asked Eric the same question if he knew for sure that they were game used as it is easy to mix in game issued jerseys and he said they sold game issued jerseys on a separate rack.

emann
11-24-2011, 12:30 AM
Matt, in talking to Eric he said the jerseys came both with and without the strip tagging right from The Red Sox. He also said they clearly sold the jerseys all labeled as game used at the sale.

When I list these for sale I will title them as game used and describe how that was determined with the description of the item. I asked Eric the same question if he knew for sure that they were game used as it is easy to mix in game issued jerseys and he said they sold game issued jerseys on a separate rack.

Joel-

Just a little more info...

I just posted something similar earlier in the week. I've bought a number of jerseys from the Red Sox that are also missing the strip tagging. It appears to be common and very random from about 2007 to 2009 based on ones I've seen. As an example, I have a Youk jersey photomatched a number of times to different games from June into the ALCS playoffs, very heavy, distinct use and no strip tagging. Then I have others from the same time period that do have the tagging...

At those past yard sales they did have a separate rack for non-GU, and most were pro-cut, signed jerseys (a ton of Schilling, Damon & Pedro). I think with anything it pays to check use as I did during the yard sales to make sure something from the 'game issued' rack didn't make it over to the GU one (or vice-versa), but the lack of tagging should not immediately disqualify it from being GU.

Also, that 2nd year, I think it was 2009, they probably dumped just about every jersey they had in storage from the early 90's up, you could tell that was the big purge of what they had... The year after that was very sparse.