PDA

View Full Version : Trying to decide about a Lou Gehrig Batrite bat ...

ebbantiques
11-18-2011, 06:45 PM
I'm an antiques dealer, not a collector or sports expert. I recently acquired a Hanna Batrite Gehrig bat. It came out of the corner of a closet from the estate of a family who moved to Florida from New York decades ago (much of the correspondence I ran across from the early 20th century was addressed to family members in Bronx, N.Y.). I considered sending it away for authentication to PSA or Mears, but I’ve been hesitant because:

1. I’m told that Batrite bats from Gehrig’s bag cannot be differentiated from retail models with certainty unless they are signed or side-written.
2. This bat has very, very old tape on the handle, and I cannot find any images of Gehrig with a taped bat.
3. It is 34 inches – while Gehrig did apparently use 34-inch bats during his career (the G69?), most of the GU Gehrig bats look to be 35-inch.

What makes me WANT to send it to get authenticated:

1. The bat weighs about 36 ounces. That seems on the heavy side for a retail bat.
2. The bat is untouched, unscathed and unrefinished. The bat has what small-time dealers like me refer to as “honest” age.
3. The older “bat” logo pre-dates the text logo, and Gehrig would more likely have used the bat-logo bats (he used Batrites in 1929 and 1930, I believe).
4. It came from The Bronx. I know that this is simply anecdotal evidence, but surely, if Batrite were making retail bats behind Gehrig’s back, they would have had the sense not to peddle them in his backyard.

I would greatly appreciate any guidance you can provide -- even an opinion that it would/wouldn't be worth it to send off for PSA or Mears authentication. My dilemma hinges, frankly, on the $800-900 it will end up costing (authentication plus shipping and insurance).

MGHProductions
11-20-2011, 07:22 PM
It is very hard to determine retail vs gamer on these bats unless there is ironclad provenance. Any letter would say these bats were offered for retail sale and some were known to have been used in games.

Most Gehrig bats were longer. Most Gehrig bats on the market have the bat logo. If your bat has the patent on the knob, it is post 1930.

10 years ago, these bats would do well at auction. Today, they are hit or miss. One was just on ebay and it didnt get a 2500 bid. A 35 incher was in a major auction and was authenticated and it didnt get an opening bid either.

If you want to sell it as is, let me know.
Matt
Bub13@aol.com