PDA

View Full Version : How to apply a patch to a jersey without altering it

kylehess10
11-16-2011, 08:03 PM
I was really excited today when I finally was able to photomatch my Brian Jordan 1999 home jersey to the World Series. It's my first World Series jersey and I'd like to display it nicely, but unfortunately the World Series patch and the Hank Aaron patch were both stripped and the jersey was re-worn in Spring Training in 2000. I'd love to have this jersey displayed with both patches back on the jersey, but I'm not a fan of altering jerseys in any way from the condition it was in from when it was last worn. I'm trying to figure out if I can apply the patches in a way where if I wanted to take them off, it could be done so without leaving any marks of any kind.

Has anybody ever tried applying a patch in a way I'm trying for? I was thinking maybe a tiny bit of double-sided tape, but I'm not sure if that would damage the jersey or not. I may try different things with one of my own jerseys but I'd love to hear ideas from everyone else

otismalibu
11-16-2011, 08:12 PM
How are you displaying it?

If it's on a mannequin, the best way to get the patches to look right would be to sew them on. You could get an alteration shop to sew on the patch in such a way that minimizes the stitching, making it easy to remove again.

In a frame, you could just use something like tape, clear mounting squares, etc. to keep them in place, w/o sewing.

Or just leave it as is :)

lakeerie92
11-16-2011, 08:18 PM
My wife does lots of sewing stuff and she said a temporary iron on fabric tape would work fine.

She said look for stitch witchery.

Vintagedeputy
11-17-2011, 09:56 AM
How about small pieces of velcro around the edges of the patch to hold it in place.

NeonStatus
11-17-2011, 10:28 AM
How about the very small pins that are used by tailor's when altering clothes? Double sided tape could also be an option.

eisenreich8
11-17-2011, 11:52 AM
You know those floppy refigerator magnets, you could adhere that stuff to the patch and lay something thin, light and metallic behind the jersey and there ya go.

kylehess10
11-17-2011, 12:47 PM
Thanks for all the responses guys!

Unfortunately though the match I thought I made from the World Series was dis-proven after I took a closer look on my computer. There's a loose stitch in the same position but I noticed the alignment is off by about a centimeter. Seems like I really don't have his World Series jersey, but I still want to put the Hank Aaron patch back on the jersey, so I'm definitely taking everybody's ideas for consideration.

Jags Fan Dan
11-17-2011, 01:32 PM
I like the magnet idea best so far. That would be easy and should work.