PDA

View Full Version : Congratulations, Rich!

sox83cubs84
11-12-2011, 03:48 PM
My heartiest congrats to legendary Chicago ballhawk Rich Buhrke, who snagged his 3500th career baseball this past week during Arizona Fall League action. Rich is one helluva good guy, and for those who enjoy ballhawking, the milestone is worth noting.

Dave Miedema

frikativ54
11-12-2011, 03:49 PM
Can you explain the appeal of ballhawking? I never quite understood it.

sox83cubs84
11-12-2011, 04:21 PM

It's a chance to acquire a piece of the game, whether you choose to keep them or sell them. If you enjoy hanging out with the guys, the camaraderie is a plus, as well. That's a bit tougher in Chicago though as a lot of the street shaggers have a very inflated idea of ballhawking and themselves, which is the main reason I don't hang out on Waveland Avenue any more. There's some guys both on the street and in the stands that I'm glad to know and hang out with. Being on the receiving end of a game home run is a thrill for most people, and the street crowd (as well as some fans inside) only throw back decoy baseballs...nearly all true ballhawks wouldn't throw a real home run back.

How you go about ballhawking and where is basically your call and, if it makes you happy, that's all that matters. That's another reason why I no longer hang out on Waveland Avenue...too many guys making elitist-sounding rules about what constitutes a legitimate catch, or who can call themselves a ballhawk.

I do it when I can, enjoy it, and these days consider myself an Independent Ballhawk, unaffiliated with any group of ballchasers. As long as I have my fun and other shaggers have theirs, that's the important thing.

Dave Miedema

trsent
11-12-2011, 05:20 PM

Ever see people waiting around to get autographs?

Ballhawks are waiting around hoping to catch a home run ball.

frikativ54
11-12-2011, 05:25 PM
Ever see people waiting around to get autographs?

Ballhawks are waiting around hoping to catch a home run ball.

I was just curious. I don't quite understand autograph seekers either. :o

trsent
11-12-2011, 05:31 PM
I was just curious. I don't quite understand autograph seekers either. :o

I know autograph hounds who never sell anything - They are true collectors. I also know autograph hounds who make a living getting autographs from celebrities.

I do not understand ballhawks myself.

Seems crazy a guy has counted retrieving 3500 home runs and foul balls and he is counting balls obtained during The Arizona Fall League in this count?

I also find it odd that Rich Buhrke would need to be congratulated on this forum. I do not find him as a member here so unless he is a lurker I doubt he would see the recognition to appreciate it. If I wanted to congratulate such a guy, I would be sure to email or call them with my appreciation of their achievement.

frikativ54
11-12-2011, 05:41 PM
It's a chance to acquire a piece of the game, whether you choose to keep them or sell them.

What's the all-time record for most baseballs caught by a ballhawk?

lakeerie92
11-12-2011, 05:52 PM
Zack Hample has 5,819 total baseballs lifetime.

He got 1,137 this year alone and blogs about it,7.

http://snaggingbaseballs.mlblogs.com/

frikativ54
11-12-2011, 06:21 PM
Zack Hample has 5,819 total baseballs lifetime.

He got 1,137 this year alone and blogs about it,7.

http://snaggingbaseballs.mlblogs.com/

Wow! That's pretty incredible. I checked out the blog and was so captivated that I overcooked my meal.

sox83cubs84
11-12-2011, 07:02 PM
If I wanted to congratulate such a guy, I would be sure to email or call them with my appreciation of their achievement.

Already done.

Some collectors will know Rich on this Forum, as he let some of his collection go in the mid-1990s to Dan Knoll, where the ones Knoll chose not to keep ended up in Mastro Auctions.

Also, collectors of 1970s era Sports Illustrated may have a springtime 1977 issue with Artis Gilmore on the cover that has a story about him back in the days when ballhawking was purely a collector/fan pastime and there was no real market for home run balls, other than major milestones (like Aaron's last HR.

Dave Miedema

kylehess10
11-13-2011, 10:13 PM

I have to admit ballhawking is the most fun I've had in years at games. I'm more anxious for BP than the game sometimes. I use a contraption that I made to pick baseballs up from behind the outfield wall and it's a thrill getting baseball after baseball. I usually get 5-10 per BP but I give away atleast half to little kids. It's just fun, especially when you catch one on the fly, or chasing one down and beating everyone else to it. I've seen kids cry just because they didn't get a baseball and it's easy for me to just give one to them since I'll usually have plenty. Seeing them get so excited over a single baseball makes it completely worth it to get there just a few hours early. It's definitely worth the time.

gingi79
11-14-2011, 02:57 PM
I've seen kids cry just because they didn't get a baseball and it's easy for me to just give one to them since I'll usually have plenty. Seeing them get so excited over a single baseball makes it completely worth it to get there just a few hours early. It's definitely worth the time.

On one hand, I think it's great that you are so unselfish and think about others with no need or expectation of reward. On the other, there are tons of threads on how spoiled children are today and how they "expect" to be given things as they "deserve" them. Rather than concentrate on those things, I'll just say it's great that you ballhawk for others as much as you. Considering the number of members who already saw this side of you, it's nothing new. :D

sox83cubs84
11-14-2011, 03:00 PM
I have to admit ballhawking is the most fun I've had in years at games. I'm more anxious for BP than the game sometimes. I use a contraption that I made to pick baseballs up from behind the outfield wall and it's a thrill getting baseball after baseball. I usually get 5-10 per BP but I give away atleast half to little kids. It's just fun, especially when you catch one on the fly, or chasing one down and beating everyone else to it. I've seen kids cry just because they didn't get a baseball and it's easy for me to just give one to them since I'll usually have plenty. Seeing them get so excited over a single baseball makes it completely worth it to get there just a few hours early. It's definitely worth the time.

I've given away many baseballs over the years, as well. And, while I've given a number to kids, my favorite chosen recipients are seniors, military personnel in uniform, and disabled people. A lot of times, all kids have to do is stand by the wall and beg for one, and they'll get it. Plus, too often you'll get some loudmouthed adult nearby who bellows "GIVE IT TO A KID!" the minute you catch one. When the bigmouths decide to butt in, that guarantees that I'm not giving any away, and, if anyone asks why, I'll just tell them.

Dave Miedema

godwulf
11-15-2011, 04:26 AM
When I see the kids and young (sometimes not so young) teenagers obsessively running from section to section, trying to snag every foul ball, I often want to say, "Why don't you try just watching the game for a change? You might like it." I might like to get a foul ball every once in a while, particularly if one of my favorite players hit it, but I stay in my section and wait for a ball to hit nearby; it doesn't matter how close I am, though - some greedy little punk kid, usually with a father egging them on, is sure to run over and either snatch it, or beg for it like a dog. It has nothing whatsoever to do with being a Baseball fan, does it? It's just the lure of "free stuff", and of pretending to be a part of the game. Am I supposed to admire this behavior because a grown man does it?

coxfan
11-15-2011, 06:43 AM
To me, a game-used ball is an artifact (a unique, 1/1 piece of the event), rather than a "souvenir" (a mass-produced item in the shops.) As a artifact, it's analogous to getting a letter that was signed by a US President, a rare book, or a prehistoric fossil, because all are actual pieces of history. And if you get a rare letter or fossil, nobody yells "give it to the kid" or "throw it back"!

Ball-chasing is also a sport in itself, because it gives the same uncertainty of success that's inherent in all games and sports. Baseball fans are lucky because we get to keep our artifacts. My wife and I go to all the womens' basketball games at the University of South Carolina, and always sit right by the floor. I'm happy whenever I can get my hands on the game ball, though I have to throw it to the official; it's like a game within a game. A few weeks ago, I was watching a women's soccer game here ( Our team's now advanced to the top 32) and the ball bounced into the stands right into my lap! (front row again). That was fun for me, though I had to throw it right back.

kellsox
11-15-2011, 10:08 AM
To me, a game-used ball is an artifact (a unique, 1/1 piece of the event), rather than a "souvenir" (a mass-produced item in the shops.) As a artifact, it's analogous to getting a letter that was signed by a US President, a rare book, or a prehistoric fossil, because all are actual pieces of history. And if you get a rare letter or fossil, nobody yells "give it to the kid" or "throw it back"!

Ball-chasing is also a sport in itself, because it gives the same uncertainty of success that's inherent in all games and sports. Baseball fans are lucky because we get to keep our artifacts. My wife and I go to all the womens' basketball games at the University of South Carolina, and always sit right by the floor. I'm happy whenever I can get my hands on the game ball, though I have to throw it to the official; it's like a game within a game. A few weeks ago, I was watching a women's soccer game here ( Our team's now advanced to the top 32) and the ball bounced into the stands right into my lap! (front row again). That was fun for me, though I had to throw it right back.

Your 1st paragraph is a stretch to say the least. I believe at least 12 dozen baseballs are prepped for use each game. Thats not even counting balls used for BP and warmups. Add to that 15games a night across the league for 162 games a season plus playoffs. More balls find there way into the stands than foam fingers are sold in the concessions.
And I myself never understood grown men running around a stadium ( or in some cases, outside the stadium ) trying to get one of theseballs. Just my 2 cents...

coxfan
11-15-2011, 11:22 AM
Kellsox, to each their own. My own preference is for a few balls from significant events. Last year, the Rangers won their first home postseason game in 50 seasons. I think the authenticated ball I own from that game (of only 55 authenticated) qualifies for "artifact" status. Apparently Nolan Ryan agrees, as he received the final ball from the same game.

There is plenty of room for different ways of doing things. I worked 33 years as a psychologist, and I emphasized to people, especially those with addictions or depression, the importance of choosing good, as opposed to bad, leisure habits. When I asked someone with alcohol dependence about his hobbies, almost all replies began with "I used to..".

I define a good hobby as one which stimulates mind and body,and promotes constructive social contact. Within that large definition,there are innumerable ways to enjoy life; including ballhawking.

gingi79
11-15-2011, 02:21 PM
When I see the kids and young (sometimes not so young) teenagers obsessively running from section to section, trying to snag every foul ball, I often want to say, "Why don't you try just watching the game for a change? You might like it." I might like to get a foul ball every once in a while, particularly if one of my favorite players hit it, but I stay in my section and wait for a ball to hit nearby; it doesn't matter how close I am, though - some greedy little punk kid, usually with a father egging them on, is sure to run over and either snatch it, or beg for it like a dog. It has nothing whatsoever to do with being a Baseball fan, does it? It's just the lure of "free stuff"

In 32 seasons of going to pro games, I only once ever got a ball and it was thrown to me by a player in the bullpen. When I went to games as a kid, parents still taught their kids that you have to EARN things, being a child doesn't mean you deserve someone elses property. I was also taught words like "Thank you", "Please", "Ma'am" and "Sir"

sox83cubs84
11-15-2011, 03:19 PM
The loudmouths that badger me after a grab to "give it to a kid" usually ensure by their interference that I don't give it to anybody. On the occasions that I do give it out, though, I'll pick out a kid 15 rows up who isn't by the field. This generally does not elicit much appreciation from the loudmouths, as their "give it to the kid" mantra usually translates to "give it to MY kid", or "give it to a kid I think should get it".

Kellsox, I understand that ballhawking isn't everyone's cup of tea. For those that do engage in it, though, it should be on their own terms, recognizing the law and common courtesy, and be for enjoyment first, profit second. Now that I no longer spend any time with the self-anointed gods of ballhawking on Waveland Avenue, I am enjoying it again to an extent I haven't in years.

Dave Miedema