PDA

View Full Version : Steve Young 49ers Game used jersey wanted

jonschuette
11-10-2011, 09:34 AM
I am looking for a 1995 or older game used Steve Young 49ers jersey.

jonrschuette@gmail.com

cliffjmp33
11-10-2011, 10:21 AM
Grey Flannel has one...

http://catalog.greyflannelauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=26517&searchby=0&searchvalue=None&page=0&sortby=0&displayby=2&lotsperpage=50&category=39&seo=1995-Steve-Young-San-Francisco-49ers-Game-Used-%26-Autographed-Home-Jersey-%28JSA%29

I believe Paul added some interesting thoughts about it though on this thread...

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=46903

jonschuette
11-10-2011, 03:38 PM
Thanks Jack.

You have to do your homework, as the item needs to stand on its own and not based on a letter.

solarlottry
11-11-2011, 03:19 AM
Jon I agree that the buyers homework is of the utmost importance.

When I made my comments about the GF auction, they were meant as a generality and not addressing a specific jersey or item.

With regards to the 1995 Steve Young, I think there are a # of potential issues.

#1-Lack of team letter. As you know MOS sold 99% of their 49er gamers with a team letter and Mike did his best to keep letters matched up with shirts. Letters can be lost and it is possible for a completely genuine gamer to not have a letter for any number of reasons. Shirts can be given away, taken by the player or equipment manager (or his assistants), or by another player who collects GU jerseys (Brent Jones and Rod Milstead were big time collectors)

#2- The nameplate fabric is NOT consistent with other 1995 nameplates. That does not rule out an authentic gamer but does raise some doubt. The team used nameplates that were made of the same mesh that the jerseys were. This nameplate appears to be made out of some kind of dazzle cloth. Again this may be a variant of a perfectly good gamer as the team was always scrambling for more Steve Young shirts due to their sale and popularity for trades.

#3 The autograph, in my opinion, does not resemble, Young autographs from that time period. It is quite conceivable that he signed the jersey at a later date, explaining the change in signature.

I have seen 49er gamers from 94-95 where the majority were signed at the time of sale to MOS but have also seen one or two shirts slip thru without being signed. This could explain the later Young signature on the GF shirt. If this was a later signature, would it not have an LOA by the specific company that did the signing and not a JSA evaluation? Young does many signings and 99% come with the GTSM LOA which is obtained at the time of signing. A JSA LOA indicates that the autograph was evaluated at a later date.

#4 The letter font of the nameplate appears, to me, to be a little thick when compared to other 1995 gamers. The space in the O in Young is much larger in my 1995 Young than the GF shirt. Again this could easily be a variant of the letters used as the season progressed and old style letters were used up.

In my opinion the GF Steve Young has a # of issues that would be of enough concern for ME not to bid. If someone else does their own research and comes to a different conclusion and feels that it is indeed genuine, then bid. These issues are just my own opinion not fact. My opinion is based on 20 years of collecting 49ers gamers and looking at countless images and jerseys, both good and bad.

I have included images of my 1995 home Steve Young gamer and a 1995 Ken Norton which has nameplate font that resembles the GF Young shirt. The SY has a player letter which i will photograph and post tomorrow.

There is so much variation with regards to these jerseys that unless it is photo-matched, has impeccable provenance or has distinct characteristics of good game use (repairs that match known team repairs etc.) the issue of doubt can exist.

Always buying 49ers gamers and any 1994 49er gamer and paying a finders fee!

Paul
garciajones@yahoo.com