PDA

View Full Version : RIP, Smokin' Joe

sox83cubs84
11-07-2011, 11:30 PM
Joe Frazier has lost his battle with liver cancer, passing away Monday evening. The information was releassed to the media in a statement from his family.

Dave Miedema

freddiefreeman5
11-08-2011, 12:20 AM
Loved the way he whipped up on Ali even though Ali used every dirty trick he had against Fraizer. The boxer vs the holder.

I always thought Joe had class and Ali was an a**.

trsent
11-10-2011, 01:23 AM
I am fortunate enough to have had a couple of meals with Smokin' Joe in Las Vegas around seven to ten years ago. I remember having dinner with Joe and Marvis and then attending a Temptations concert with them to celebrate Joe's birthday.

After the concert we went backstage to meet The Temptations and listening to Joe and the Motown legends talk was one of the most fun experiences I have ever witnessed.

One of the guys asked Joe who hit the hardest and he replied "George" as he recreated his reaction to taking a punch from George Foreman. He rolled his eyes back and shook his head like he was hit in the head by a 2x4. It was amazing listening to him talk about the fights that were meaningful back then.

Joe may have received a bad rap for his issues with Ali over the years, but after spending quality time with The Champ I can tell you - He was a great guy, a nice guy and he was Champ when being Champ mattered.

I will always cherish Joe Frazier as one of the greatest ever and as a friend. I will miss him.

freddiefreeman5
11-10-2011, 03:38 AM
Joe may have received a bad rap for his issues with Ali over the years, but after spending quality time with The Champ I can tell you - He was a great guy, a nice guy and he was Champ when being Champ mattered.

I will always cherish Joe Frazier as one of the greatest ever and as a friend. I will miss him.
Ali has been built up to be the greatest ever and nothing could be farther from the truth. He was one of the dirtiest fighters in history. He used his mouth to get attention. And he changed his religion to get out of Vietnam.

I will never understand the love for Ali.

Frazier won 2 of 3 of their fights and most think he should have won the other one because Ali held his head the whole fight.

I hope one day that Frazier gets the respect he deserved in life. He was a humble champion not a loud mouth circus like Ali.

ironmanfan
11-10-2011, 07:28 AM
Ali has been built up to be the greatest ever and nothing could be farther from the truth. He was one of the dirtiest fighters in history. He used his mouth to get attention. And he changed his religion to get out of Vietnam.

Frazier won 2 of 3 of their fights and most think he should have won the other one because Ali held his head the whole fight.

freddie:

if you check your history books, you'll learn that Ali won two out of their three fights.....

freddiefreeman5
11-10-2011, 08:11 AM
freddie:

if you check your history books, you'll learn that Ali won two out of their three fights.....
You are right of course. No need to check the history books though, appreciate the suggestion though ;) .
Just typing faster than I should have.
I should have typed that Ali won 2 of their 3 fights and most think he should have lost one because he held Frazier's head the whole fight.

trsent
11-10-2011, 11:13 AM

I hope one day that Frazier gets the respect he deserved in life. He was a humble champion not a loud mouth circus like Ali.

I was not trying to turn this into a discussion against Muhammad Ali - I have great respect for Ali. My comments were about Joe Frazier being a champion, just like Ali, just like Foreman, when the heavyweight division in boxing actually mattered.

freddiefreeman5
11-10-2011, 11:29 AM
I was not trying to turn this into a discussion against Muhammad Ali - I have great respect for Ali. My comments were about Joe Frazier being a champion, just like Ali, just like Foreman, when the heavyweight division in boxing actually mattered.
Sorry if my opinion bothers anyone. I just have a deep dislike for Ali and when you stated that "Joe may have received a bad rap for his issues with Ali over the years" it struck a nerve with me.
What bad rap are you talking about?

freddiefreeman5
11-10-2011, 02:07 PM
Didn't mean to derail the thread, sorry. :o

Rest in peace Joe.