PDA

View Full Version : Bryce Harper MLB Auctions

asr1084
11-07-2011, 08:49 PM
Are you kidding me with this Bryce Harper GU jersey right now!? $2,491.00 and still has 6 days lsft. This kid hasnt proved anything in my opinion. What is the true worth of that jersey? What is the worth of that jersey in 5 or 10 years?

I want to see him succeed but he has a long road to go............. am i missing something here?

frikativ54
11-07-2011, 09:05 PM
You make good points. I wonder what kind of success Harper would have to have to sustain these prices. Albert Pujols-like achievements? Even being a regular star would drop the value of such items. I remember when Harper's ASG Futures hat commanded a grand. All for a barely used hat.

-Frik

BrewCrewSackers
11-07-2011, 09:40 PM
Yeah, that's a lot to pay for a Kevin Maas jersey. lol

Even if he becomes an "average" star, say matt holliday, it's still insane to buy his stuff at these prices.

chances of him becoming Pujols or Griffey= 1 in 1,000,000

chances of him becoming Holliday= 1 in 500

chances of him becoming Corey Hart= 1 in 50

chances of him becoming Rob Deer= 1 in 10

chances of him becoming Kevin Maas 1 in 3

BrewCrewSackers
11-07-2011, 09:41 PM
Are you kidding me with this Bryce Harper GU jersey right now!? $2,491.00 and still has 6 days lsft. This kid hasnt proved anything in my opinion. What is the true worth of that jersey? What is the worth of that jersey in 5 or 10 years?

I want to see him succeed but he has a long road to go............. am i missing something here?

I'd rather have an once and a half of gold for that much $$.

LastingsMilledge85
11-07-2011, 09:58 PM
chances of him becoming Pujols or Griffey= 1 in 1,000,000

Reminded me of this... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KX5jNnDMfxA

Manram
11-07-2011, 10:00 PM
Although I do believe the prices on his stuff are ridiculous his potential is extremely high. How many players do you know that could leave high school after his sophomore year and put up those numbers in junior college with a wood bat nonetheless? Not any other player anywhere

freddiefreeman5
11-07-2011, 10:29 PM

The true worth is what someone is willing to pay for it.

project 4
11-08-2011, 08:01 AM
I'm taking that prospecting isn't as big with memorabilia collecting as it is with card collecting? I haven't been in tune with baseball since the 90's strike, but isn't Harper suppose to be the next BIG THING? I remember Maas. There was so much hype around him b/c he played for the Yankees and he had that nice tear and the end of the season. I also remember guys like Griffey and A-rod when they first came out. Bryce is closer to both latters in terms of being a sure thing right now and has been consistently doing well since high school. Some people have the means to spend. If it's a true Harper fan, more power to him/her! If it's someone who just want to turn it around for a potential investment then I see what the fuss is all about.

yanks12025
11-08-2011, 08:37 AM
I'm taking that prospecting isn't as big with memorabilia collecting as it is with card collecting? I haven't been in tune with baseball since the 90's strike, but isn't Harper suppose to be the next BIG THING? I remember Maas. There was so much hype around him b/c he played for the Yankees and he had that nice tear and the end of the season. I also remember guys like Griffey and A-rod when they first came out. Bryce is closer to both latters in terms of being a sure thing right now and has been consistently doing well since high school. Some people have the means to spend. If it's a true Harper fan, more power to him/her! If it's someone who just want to turn it around for a potential investment then I see what the fuss is all about.

Yeah he did very well in Double A. Batting .256 with 3 home-runs.

stretch
11-08-2011, 11:43 AM
I noticed the other day that a memorabilia store inside the mall at Planet Hollywood (Las Vegas) had some Harper items. Batting gloves and I believe a bat. The asking price on one batting glove was $500.

allstarsplus
11-08-2011, 12:18 PM
Keith Olbermann was the high bidder on this jersey so expect it to go higher. Olbermann paid over $20,000 for one of Strasburg's 1st game used baseballs.

When I went to bid on the jersey and saw he was in the bidding, I gave up.

frikativ54
11-08-2011, 01:06 PM
Keith Olbermann was the high bidder on this jersey so expect it to go higher. Olbermann paid over $20,000 for one of Strasburg's 1st game used baseballs.

When I went to bid on the jersey and saw he was in the bidding, I gave up.

Wow! I never realized Olbermann had an account at MLB.com Auctions. Is he a big collector in addition to a commentator?

maverick14
11-08-2011, 01:14 PM
Wow! I never realized Olbermann had an account at MLB.com Auctions. Is he a big collector in addition to a commentator?

He is in fact a big collector. He was 2nd to Sheen on the Buckner ball last time it was auctioned before its million dollar ebay listing. He spends big bucks, must be nice.

allstarsplus
11-08-2011, 02:52 PM

I think there are some old posts about him with his eBay username. He collects cards too. Amazing collection.

When I see he is bidding, I just give up as I know I won't win the item. He owns some great pieces of Washington Nationals history.

asr1084
11-08-2011, 08:58 PM
Olberman has been outbid!! I wonder how long before he jumps back ahead........it sure is fun watching this. Again I really hope Bryce becomes a special player. He certainly has all the potential.

lakeerie92
11-08-2011, 09:29 PM
Outbid by one of our own forum members

asr1084
11-08-2011, 09:32 PM
Olberman has been outbid!! I wonder how long before he jumps back ahead........it sure is fun watching this. Again I really hope Bryce becomes a special player. He certainly has all the potential.

BrewCrewSackers
11-10-2011, 12:51 PM
Are people sure this really is Keith Olbermann? If I was a high end Nats collector, I would use that as a username to try to limit people bidding on Nats stuff lol.

asr1084
11-13-2011, 05:39 PM
Jersey ends tonight.....cant wait to see if it goes up from its current state of $2,551.00. Olberman is no longer high bidder and it has remained at this price range for a while now. I understand the high bidder is current forum member.....if that is true I really hope one of our fellow members get it!

frikativ54
11-13-2011, 06:37 PM
Here's the link: http://auction.mlb.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=168454688&prmenbr=33072944&aunbr=168801398.

OaklandAsFan
11-13-2011, 08:07 PM
Olbermann's name doesn't appear on the bid list anymore....

frikativ54
11-13-2011, 08:09 PM
$3,110 for a jersey of a player who has never played a regular season Major League game. :(

Dach0sen0ne
11-13-2011, 08:11 PM
Olbermann's name doesn't appear on the bid list anymore....

If it was Olbermann, he changed his name to FordhamRoad.

asr1084
11-13-2011, 08:11 PM
$3,110 for a jersey of a player who has never played a regular season Major League game. :(

That is crazy........hopefully he lives up to the hype.

asr1084
11-13-2011, 08:13 PM
If it was Olbermann, he changed his name to FordhamRoad.

Are we thinking that Olberman changed his sn to fordham road? How true do we think that is?

Dach0sen0ne
11-13-2011, 08:22 PM
Are we thinking that Olberman changed his sn to fordham road? How true do we think that is?

It's 100% truth. Whoever was KeithOlbermann is now FordhamRoad.

frikativ54
11-13-2011, 08:48 PM
It's 100% truth. Whoever was KeithOlbermann is now FordhamRoad.

Was Keith Olbermann's initial bid replaced with the name, Fordham Road? Does anybody remember his previous bid amount?

Dach0sen0ne
11-13-2011, 09:00 PM
Was Keith Olbermann's initial bid replaced with the name, Fordham Road?

Yes, it was.

frikativ54
11-13-2011, 09:05 PM
Yes, it was.

Thanks for the information. I wonder what prompted him to change his name. While the price seemed ridiculous, I guess when you have Olbermann's wealth and salary, a $3,000+ jersey doesn't create a dent in your pocketbook.

BaseballGM
11-14-2011, 01:03 PM
I believe the Olberman bid was $2501.

jake33
11-14-2011, 01:56 PM
I don't get why these prices go that high, he cannot exceed expectations, only meet them.

When he get 3,000 hits and 500 homeruns at that point, fans will be like "eh, he is washed up, who is the next big thing?"

I don't think the majority of people believe he will be a Nationals player 10 years from now. If he does still play of them Also, he will play somewhere else in his late 20's and have a ton of hype and will be viewed as a letdown hitting .282 30 homeruns and 100 RBI's.

---

Josh Hamilton too in 12 years will be a guy that put up big numbers but didn't do anything signficantly record breaking, unless he hits .400

frikativ54
11-14-2011, 02:19 PM
Josh Hamilton too in 12 years will be a guy that put up big numbers but didn't do anything signficantly record breaking, unless he hits .400

The difference between Josh Hamilton and Bryce Harper is the former's story and miraculous comeback from the depths of drug addiction. Hamilton's story is quite an inspiration. On the other hand, Harper's jersey values could still go down even if he becomes the next A-Rod. Who could live up to such insane expectations?

cliffjmp33
11-16-2011, 11:17 AM
Looks like Topps got a hold of Harper's Fall League uni and hat.

http://twitpic.com/7eyhvn

frikativ54
11-16-2011, 11:31 AM
Looks like Topps got a hold of Harper's Fall League uni and hat.

http://twitpic.com/7eyhvn

Thanks for the link; looks like it is going to be cut up. Though it's not the same jersey as was just on MLB.com Auctions:

http://auction.mlb.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=168454688&prmenbr=33072944&aunbr=168801398.

Where is a pic of the hat Topps obtained?

frikativ54
11-16-2011, 11:33 AM
Just found the hat:

http://twitpic.com/7eyhm0.

Looks like it was from the 2011 Rising Stars game. I don't know how Topps obtained it, as I have been looking for those caps, to no avail.

Any ideas where I can buy one of these caps - one that wasn't hacked up, that is?

cliffjmp33
11-16-2011, 11:36 AM
I follow Topps on Twitter (https://twitter.com/#!/toppscards). Not sure how they obtain items, but may be worth your effort to reach out to them through Twitter to ask.

I understand they are in a certain business, but sad to see items get cut up.

frikativ54
11-16-2011, 11:39 AM
I follow Topps on Twitter (https://twitter.com/#!/toppscards). Not sure how they obtain items, but may be worth your effort to reach out to them through Twitter to ask.

I understand they are in a certain business, but sad to see items get cut up.

I guess I'll have to get a Twitter account. Though I'm not sure they would even tell me how they obtain their items. Good idea, though.

I feel badly myself that the items were cut up. However, having those items in cards could be a huge draw and investment for their product.

-Frik

cliffjmp33
11-16-2011, 11:48 AM
I don't use Twitter for anything more than news updates and following what's going on in this hobby (I don't think anyone cares what I had for breakfast or think of last night's Dancing With the Stars results).

I know some people have started a twitter thread in the past and some players are very active/helpful with their accounts, but not sure how a company like Topps would respond. Would be interested to hear from them though.

In the end, I agree with you, it's a shame to see these items cut up, but for them, it could be big $. I rather they have one redemption card for the entire jersey, hat, etc., but that likely isn't good business.

OaklandAsFan
11-16-2011, 12:45 PM
I guess I'll have to get a Twitter account. Though I'm not sure they would even tell me how they obtain their items. Good idea, though.

I feel badly myself that the items were cut up. However, having those items in cards could be a huge draw and investment for their product.

-Frik
Topps obtains their items because they have eyes and ears everywhere and hear about things being available before anyone else. They also WAY overpay for their items so it makes it financially smart to make things available to them before the general public

frikativ54
11-16-2011, 01:34 PM
Topps obtains their items because they have eyes and ears everywhere and hear about things being available before anyone else. They also WAY overpay for their items so it makes it financially smart to make things available to them before the general public

Makes sense. :(

While I'm not a Harper fan in the least, I would have enjoyed the opportunity at a Danny Hultzen Rising Stars game cap. If Topps acquired the Harper, wouldn't it make sense that they bought other players' items too?

Contrary to the card companies, when these things get in my hands, they go to the display case and are enjoyed whenever I go upstairs to my memorabilia room.

Maybe people will enjoy their patch cards - no doubt - but still, it's all chopped up. What if Harper does become a superstar? Wouldn't the items the card companies obtained have more value whole in a museum or in a private collector's hands?

I've found that card companies' game used products don't hold their value from year to year. It's just one mass-produced set after another, which is why I'm glad I switched to game used. I still have some rare inserts, but I sold most of my patch cards, except for a couple that mean a lot to me.

freddiefreeman5
11-16-2011, 04:08 PM
The difference between Josh Hamilton and Bryce Harper is the former's story and miraculous comeback from the depths of drug addiction. Hamilton's story is quite an inspiration. On the other hand, Harper's jersey values could still go down even if he becomes the next A-Rod. Who could live up to such insane expectations?
I hope he doesn't become the next A-Roid. :cool: