PDA

View Full Version : A.L. & N.L. MVP award

gameused
11-04-2011, 03:06 PM
Anybody know when they come out with the winners?

Thanks, Bobby

PwKw13
11-04-2011, 03:11 PM
Bobby,

I believe the A.L. announcement is on November 21st and the N.L. announcement is on November 22nd.

- Ken

gameused
11-04-2011, 03:16 PM
Hi Ken,

Thanks for the reply.....crossing my fingers Jacoby Ellsbury wins the AL MVP.

Best regards,
Bobby

PwKw13
11-04-2011, 03:20 PM
Fantastic all-around year -- He's got a great chance!

yanks12025
11-04-2011, 04:00 PM
If he wins just another joke of the MVP award. Several others had better years and actually helped get their team to the post season, not choke. Would be as bad as Dustin winning it several years back.

gameused
11-04-2011, 05:13 PM
If he wins just another joke of the MVP award. Several others had better years and actually helped get their team to the post season, not choke. Would be as bad as Dustin winning it several years back.

Typical statement from a Yankees fan....you guys have an excuse for everything....good luck to your team next year with that overweight/overpaid pitcher C.C. Sabathia that just resigned, the Red Sox have batting practice everytime he starts!

yanks12025
11-04-2011, 05:47 PM
Typical statement from a Yankees fan....you guys have an excuse for everything....good luck to your team next year with that overweight/overpaid pitcher C.C. Sabathia that just resigned, the Red Sox have batting practice everytime he starts!

Well typical statement from an arrogant red sox fan. We have batting practice with all your pitchers, so I'm not worried. At least our team made the playoffs instead of choking like yours always does. Our team doesn't disrespect baseball by drinking beer before games. What a franchise you guys are, class act you have there.

Also where did I provided an excuse, it's called look at the facts and see that there were better MVP's than Ellsbury. Only reason you want him to win is all your Ellsbury bats go up in price.

AM
11-04-2011, 05:49 PM
I like Cabrera in AL & Kemp or Braun in NL

yanks12025
11-04-2011, 05:50 PM
Also I'm not worried of the red sox next year. You guys are going to have a horrible team and having a new manager won't help.

Manram
11-04-2011, 06:00 PM
Well typical statement from an arrogant red sox fan. We have batting practice with all your pitchers, so I'm not worried. At least our team made the playoffs instead of choking like yours always does. Our team doesn't disrespect baseball by drinking beer before games. What a franchise you guys are, class act you have there.

Also where did I provided an excuse, it's called look at the facts and see that there were better MVP's than Ellsbury. Only reason you want him to win is all your Ellsbury bats go up in price.

And you lost in the first round of the playoffs..... clutch

yanks12025
11-04-2011, 06:28 PM
Lets see losing in the first round or choking and not making the playoffs. I think I'd still take losing in the first round compared to choking again. I think it's funny you guys think losing in the first round is worst then having yet another choke in your teams history.

AM
11-04-2011, 07:32 PM
Red Sox were a little snake bit this past year while the Yankees got lucky with Colon, Garcia & Nova.

Another year, another year older for Jeter & ARod. Can't expect another year from Granderson as he has not shown to be that player consistently. Tex will be solid in this lineup from May- Sept. On any other team, his power output wouldn't mean as much given his avg. & OPS. Cano should be terrific again. Outside of CC, where can the Yankees be confident with their staff?

Yankees are not a great team & definitely not built for the playoffs anymore. I know the postseason is unpredictable, but HR happy teams with weak starting pitching rarely win.

Jusy my 2¢ worth less than that...

yanks12025
11-04-2011, 07:43 PM
Why can't Ivan Nova be as good as last year or even Garcia. Referring to nova, superstars have to be born somewhere. So what says he wont be as good as this year next year and many years to come.

Plus the Yankees several young arms that can come up and be good. So I think we're good. Plus when Jeter is done, we have Nunez to take over. Everyone acts like the Yankees are only filled with 35 plus year olds.

cjw
11-04-2011, 08:02 PM
Yanks and Sox both are getting old and suck anyway (as a Jays fan that is tired of seeing his team battling the beasts of the east every year, I have a right to be frustrated.

Jays if they can get some more pitching, Rays and even O's willmset the new tone for the east next season.

AM
11-04-2011, 09:41 PM
If Toronto was is another division, they'd be a playoff team more often than not

Nova may be good again - and he was good, not great - but my point was, he was unexpected. I don't think you can "rely" on Colon and Garcia.

Nunez?? Really?? When did he become the second coming of Jose Reyes?? Stop overrating your players - see Gardner, etc.

And the Yankee pitchers in the minor leagues may still be another 1-2 years away and Yanks don't have patience for young pitchers that struggle, so you better hope they're good right away

nevrdiez34
11-04-2011, 09:52 PM
Not to butt in on your Red Sox-Yankees debate, but shortly after the Red Sox beer drinking story broke there was a Yankee clubhouse worker that said Roger Clemens and Jason Giambi used to regularly drink beer during games when they were both on the Yankees. It's not simply a Red Six issue.

yanks12025
11-04-2011, 09:57 PM
Did I once say nunez was the next Reyes, not at all. We don't need a all-star at every position. But I have a feeling nunez will be a very good short-stop and good stick. So it's best to stop putting other words in peoples mouths. Why cant we rely on Garcia or Colon. They were once all-stars and Cy Young winners, because their careers go down hill dont mean for several years dont mean they can't find their stuff again.

AM
11-04-2011, 10:05 PM
Didn't mean to overstate your point.
When you referenced Nunez taking over for Jeter, I felt like you were trying to make a comparison. I feel every team has someone to take over a position - good or bad. Apologies.

Personally, seeing where these guys were in the recent past, I wouldn't feel like Garcia and Colon should be part of my team's future plans, that's all. We can disagree here, no problem. Have faith in your guys.

I guess when you've been a Mets fan for years like me, optimism isn't an option...

emann
11-04-2011, 10:09 PM
Our team doesn't disrespect baseball by drinking beer before games. What a franchise you guys are, class act you have there.

Hmm... Yankees never drank before games?

"As of this writing, 15 men in the history of organized baseball have ever thrown a perfect game, only one of those men did it half-drunk, with bloodshot eyes, monster breath and a raging, skull-rattling hangover. That would be me."

-David Wells, 1998 New York Yankee

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/news/2003/02/27/wells_hangover_ap/

gameused
11-05-2011, 01:30 PM

Arrogant?? You need to look in the "mirror" buddy!

First off, I asked a simple question about when they would announce the winners for the MVP awards and when my friend Ken provided the dates, I simply said I hope Jacoby wins. Then you come on here with your "piss poor attitude" and take this thread in another direction.

If you don't have anything constructive to contribute to the original thread, I suggest you don't say anything. From reading your past posts on other threads, you like to come on and stir the pot with members, especially Red Sox fans. I'm not sure what your problem is, but it seems like you hate the world.

I'm not going to get into a pissing match with you and go back and forth on this as I have better ways to use my time, and the mods and the members don't appreciate the theatrics.

Let the writers decide on who wins, if it's Jacoby, a Yankee player or another player, so be it.....more power to them!

Thanks,
Bobby

yanks12025
11-05-2011, 02:02 PM
Well Bobby, you say you dont want a pissing match but right there your starting stuff. Telling me how I hate the world and all. First off, I dont and I enjoy this world. Second I do start stuff with some sox's fans(I like most), because they post junk about the Yankees. So I defend my team, but I guess real fans aren't supposed to do that.

Enjoy your day Bobby :)

happyyoungster
11-09-2011, 12:00 PM
RYAN BRAUN for 2011 NL MVP...

Here's why:
Since 1998, there have been only four (4) NL MVP's from teams that did not appear in the postseason that year. Whether we like it or not, this IS the biggest tie-breaker when two or more players end the season with similar statistics.

The four years??
2001-Barry Bonds voted MVP after breaking all-time HR record.
2004-Barry Bonds voted MVP with a league-leading .362 AVG. to go with 45 HR's.
2006-Ryan Howard voted MVP with a league-leading 58 HR's.
2008-Albert Pujols voted MVP with a .357 AVG and 37 HR's.

The two common themes here are individual performance and team performance. Unless a player runs away (statistically) with his individual accomplishments (like the 4 years listed above), the MVP award, generally, is awarded to the player who meets both factors.

While the term "most valuable" is not clearly defined to fans, sportswriters and others alike, the following could be argued:

Q: If you take a great player away from a mediocre club that did not make the playoffs, what are you left with?
A: An even worse team that STILL did not make the playoffs.

Q: If you take a great player away from a good club that DID make the playoffs, what are you left with?
A: The strong probability that the good club will have missed the playoffs entirely.

So, who's "most valuable" to their team now?

Of course, I'm comparing MATT KEMP vs. RYAN BRAUN. They have nearly similar statistics. It's a two-horse race without any doubt. And, if you're still reading this, a thank-you is in order for bearing with me on this rather long and tiring post...

mwbosoxfan
11-10-2011, 02:07 PM
Arrogant?? You need to look in the "mirror" buddy!

First off, I asked a simple question about when they would announce the winners for the MVP awards and when my friend Ken provided the dates, I simply said I hope Jacoby wins. Then you come on here with your "piss poor attitude" and take this thread in another direction.

If you don't have anything constructive to contribute to the original thread, I suggest you don't say anything. From reading your past posts on other threads, you like to come on and stir the pot with members, especially Red Sox fans. I'm not sure what your problem is, but it seems like you hate the world.

I'm not going to get into a pissing match with you and go back and forth on this as I have better ways to use my time, and the mods and the members don't appreciate the theatrics.

Let the writers decide on who wins, if it's Jacoby, a Yankee player or another player, so be it.....more power to them!

Thanks,
Bobby

Bobby, not much of a chance to have a constructive debate with this one. A very large portion of his posts always refer to something being a "joke," so not much worth the effort. As for Jacoby, his contribution this year was very fun to watch. He'd be a great choice for MVP, but if he doesn't win, I'm sure whoever does will be deserving.... and not a joke! ;)

John

yanks12025
11-10-2011, 06:03 PM
You really are funny you know that. At least when i joke, im giving my opinion(free country so I can). Unlike you who is saying nothing but lies. Cause if you actually went through and looked at my posts, you'd see that not even 1/4 of them are jokes or negative posts. 1/4 of 1400 posts is far from a "very large portion" like you said.

Funny how it's only red sox fans complaining. lol

earlywynnfan
11-10-2011, 07:48 PM
You really are funny you know that. At least when i joke, im giving my opinion(free country so I can). Unlike you who is saying nothing but lies. Cause if you actually went through and looked at my posts, you'd see that not even 1/4 of them are jokes or negative posts. 1/4 of 1400 posts is far from a "very large portion" like you said.

Funny how it's only red sox fans complaining. lol

Don't know why I'm even bothering to read all this, it's pretty tedious, but the math major in me has to point out: 1/4 of 1400 is 350. That means, by your estimate, roughly 350 of your posts are jokes or negative. Sorry, I think that's a very large portion for anyone.

And don't worry, I hate the Red Sox and yankees equally.

Ken
earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com

freddiefreeman5
11-10-2011, 07:57 PM
Michael Young for AL MVP.

The guy has done everything asked of him and excels at every postition they want him to play.

yanks12025
11-10-2011, 08:36 PM
Ken,
So your saying if you won the lottery for $1,400 and they promised you a "large portion of cash", but you only received a check for $350. You'd be happy and agree that you got a large portion. I doubt it, i think you'd want more.

Plus when i said 1/4, I was just throwing a number out there. I'm sure i have way under 100 negative posts. I was just showing how he was making up stuff.

BULBUS
11-21-2011, 02:28 PM
Verlander gets AL MVP!

yanks12025
11-21-2011, 04:23 PM
Not really fair. Should be a award just for batters like the Cy young award

mwbosoxfan
11-21-2011, 10:55 PM
Not really fair. Should be a award just for batters like the Cy young award

Yeah, you take Verlander out of the mix and based on the voting outcome, Ellsbury wins the MVP hands down. What a joke that would have been! :D

yanks12025
11-21-2011, 11:01 PM
Well Ellsbury didnt win, so doesn't matter.

yanks12025
11-21-2011, 11:04 PM
Plus how does he win it hands down. Ellsbury barely beat out the others and who says all of Verlanders votes would have gone to him. Continue dreaming in red sox land.

mwbosoxfan
11-21-2011, 11:56 PM
Plus how does he win it hands down. Ellsbury barely beat out the others and who says all of Verlanders votes would have gone to him. Continue dreaming in red sox land.

Not really dreaming in Red Sox land.... just looking at how the votes were cast. Of the 28 voters, 13 gave 1st place votes to Verlander and Ellsbury received 13 2nd place votes. I'm no math wizard, but if Verlander wasn't a candidate, most likely Ellsbury would have received a similar high percentage of the first place votes instead. In that case, anything is possible, but not probable! ;)

AM
11-22-2011, 08:54 AM
I was surprised how far down the list Cabrera was.

BTW, Why do they have a voting tier (ranked voting) instead of a plurality vote, where the voter simply writes in the single player he thinks is the MVP?

My guess is that it has to do with fodder for evaluating players so we can say for example he placed second or third four times, etc. and that probably factors into contract value.

Am I mistaken? What else factors in?

PS - And I agree that pitchers should not be eligible for the MVP unless and until they have a separate award for Best Hitter/Position Player comparable to the Cy Young Award.