PDA

View Full Version : Cardinals Hurler Bob Forsch Dies Unexpectedly

ironmanfan
11-04-2011, 12:23 PM
Bob Forsch, the author of two no-hitters who also threw out the first pitch at last Friday's Game 7 of the WS, died unexpectedly yesterday at the age of 61

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/cardinal-beat/cardinals-pitcher-forsch-dies-at-age/article_bdfb18cc-06f5-11e1-a7f4-001a4bcf6878.html

RIP

Birdbats
11-04-2011, 02:05 PM
I am crushed at Bob's passing. When I was in eighth grade, Bob visited my grade school (an hour's drive from St. Louis) to speak to the kids and sign autographs. I still have my signed postcard. I think our principal was an acquaintance of Bob's. Tough to imagine a player today driving that far, by himself, for no pay.

A couple years later, my dad and I sat with 11,493 other people in the bitter cold watching Forschie toss his first no-hitter. I once told Bob I was there that day and he joked that 100,000 must have been there because he'd heard that from so many people. Then I whipped out two ticket stubs and a scorecard, which he graciously signed. Bob threw the only two 9-inning no-hitters in the history of Busch Stadium II. I didn't see the second one in person, but I have three stubs from the game.

Bob took pride in his ability as a hitter and always had to swing his bats anytime I asked him to sign one. Bob used a heavy, 36" R161 -- an absolute log. I told him more than once that he'd have hit .300 with a normal bat. He always laughed.

Bob was a wonderful guy, always approachable, always friendly. I saw him a week ago today, throwing out the first pitch before game 7 of the World Series. Could never have guessed it would be the last time. He will be missed greatly in Cardinals Nation.

70to66
11-04-2011, 02:26 PM
I saw him outside the stadium at game 7 and he signed a ball for me a put both no hitter dates on it. He was very nice and even chatted with us.
RIP Mr. Forsch.

frikativ54
11-04-2011, 02:32 PM
Similar thing happened to a Congresswoman I knew. About the same age too. These things are really sad, especially to be taken away from us at such a young age. That's great that you guys have such good memories of the guy. Sounds like a good human being.

camarokids
11-05-2011, 09:34 PM
I do not remember if I met him as a kid or not. We lived in St. Pete 38 years. The first year I can remember going to Al Lang Field in St. Pete, FL for Spring Training was 1974. I still have the media guide & buttons my dad bought me at the concession stands. 1974 was Bob's rookie year. I think I did meet him before, but I do not remember. I will have to look through some pics my dad took.

Prayers to his family.

RIP Bob!

legaleagle92481
11-06-2011, 01:27 AM
wow so shocking. does anyone know what the cause was? the article i read said it was uncertain.

ironmanfan
11-06-2011, 10:50 AM
wow so shocking. does anyone know what the cause was? the article i read said it was uncertain.

At the time I heard it was a brain anuerism although I'm not sure if that has been confirmed or not...

rj_lucas
11-06-2011, 03:34 PM
According to his wife it was an aneurysm in the upper chest.