PDA

View Full Version : What's the warmest temp you keep your house during the winter w/o ruining Jerseys?

project 4
11-03-2011, 08:25 AM
Now that it's getting colder outside I've been using the heater more but want to make sure I don't keep it too warm in my closet where I keep the game used memorabilia. Is there a special container to keep it in as well? I was thinking of buying an acid free box. Warm temp doesn't affect the acid free boxes, do they? Thanks!

Preston
11-03-2011, 08:32 AM
Our temperature NEVER goes above 72...even in the winter. That's what blankets and heating pads are for!

otismalibu
11-03-2011, 08:37 AM
Maximum is 64.7 F. Anything higher and your game worn items will be destroyed. Unless, you use Reflectix lined boxes. Then you can add another 3.6 degrees for every layer of Reflectix. Make sure you don't reverse the Relectix. The insulating properties are lost if you wrap your items "inside out".

http://trycold.com/img/reflectix-box.jpg

project 4
11-03-2011, 10:07 AM
Our temperature NEVER goes above 72...even in the winter. That's what blankets and heating pads are for!

Wow, seriously? I've been keeping it at 75-77 b/c I have little ones in the house that get sick with colder temps. My 2 year old hates blankets for some reason! lol.

Maximum is 64.7 F. Anything higher and your game worn items will be destroyed. Unless, you use Reflectix lined boxes. Then you can add another 3.6 degrees for every layer of Reflectix. Make sure you don't reverse the Relectix. The insulating properties are lost if you wrap your items "inside out".

64.7? Yikes! Do people actually keep their homes that cold?!? I've never heard of those reflectix lined boxes. Thanks for the input. If I get them I'll probably have to have 4-5 layers since I keep my home warm. Thanks again!

Preston
11-03-2011, 10:12 AM
Yup...my man cave is a good 8-10 degrees cooler than the upstairs of the house, so that works out good.

xpress34
11-03-2011, 10:34 AM
I'd just like to know where that number - 64.7 degrees - comes from and is their any data to back it up?

I ask, because if it is factual, then I can imagine museums in the South and Southwest must have astronomical air conditioning bills when it's over 100 degrees outside and it would feel like a freezer inside at those temps.

That just seems pretty cool to me. Also I would question the statement that your Game Used will be destroyed. Over what kind of time period are we talking here?

There are plenty of GU items from the 20's and 30's that look awesome that I am pretty certain haven't been stored at 64.7 degrees for all these years and I'm fairly certain that Reflectix boxes haven't been around that long either.

Just my observations.

- Smitty

project 4
11-03-2011, 10:48 AM
Yup...my man cave is a good 8-10 degrees cooler than the upstairs of the house, so that works out good.

I don't have a basement so whatever the temp is in the house for the most part that's what it is throughout.

I'd just like to know where that number - 64.7 degrees - comes from and is their any data to back it up?

I ask, because if it is factual, then I can imagine museums in the South and Southwest must have astronomical air conditioning bills when it's over 100 degrees outside and it would feel like a freezer inside at those temps.

That just seems pretty cool to me. Also I would question the statement that your Game Used will be destroyed. Over what kind of time period are we talking here?

There are plenty of GU items from the 20's and 30's that look awesome that I am pretty certain haven't been stored at 64.7 degrees for all these years and I'm fairly certain that Reflectix boxes haven't been around that long either.

Just my observations.

- Smitty

Thanks for the input Smitty. What temp do you keep it at if you don't mind me asking? It seems like your collection is in a basement as well?

wsohlcano
11-03-2011, 11:02 AM
All i know is that if I had half the collections some of the guys on here have I would not be storing them in metal lined boxed in my closet. Why is it that some people have collections & store them in closets? Unless its a real artifact like a ruth or mantle just display it for all to see. What is the use of having all this 80's to present day game used stuff that is flooding the market and storing it in boxes....

I display all my stuff & it is a great conversation piece even if they are not sports fans.

Just my two cents.

camarokids
11-03-2011, 01:00 PM
I do not set the thermostat above 68 degrees. It is a little cooler in the basement then the upper two floors. For the summer, I have a de-humidifier in the basement.

both-teams-played-hard
11-03-2011, 01:51 PM

Sir,
Your post is irresponsible and gives misleading information to the honest members of this forum. The "inside out" method that you speak of has been proven time and time again as a mere "urban legend". Please do your homework before you make such outlandish claims.

dcgreg25
11-03-2011, 02:04 PM
While many might claim that being a moderator destroys any sense of humor I may have....I did enjoy the posts by otismalibu and both-teams-played-hard.

While I found the posts entertaining, in the interest of helping out all of the members I am going to point out that both the posts by Otismalibu and BTPH were meant to be humorous and not serious. While I do not have any specific reasearch on temperature fluctuations, I have looked into the preservation of these items using acid-free boxes, etc. I do not think that reasonable temperature fluctuations would have a significant effect on the jerseys or the acid-free boxes.

project 4
11-03-2011, 02:41 PM
All i know is that if I had half the collections some of the guys on here have I would not be storing them in metal lined boxed in my closet. Why is it that some people have collections & store them in closets? Unless its a real artifact like a ruth or mantle just display it for all to see. What is the use of having all this 80's to present day game used stuff that is flooding the market and storing it in boxes....

I display all my stuff & it is a great conversation piece even if they are not sports fans.

Just my two cents.

It's not that I don't want to have them out for show. Definitely want to show them off in the future. At this point I'm relegated to storing them until I can get setup displays for them as well as a room for a "mancave". Until then I need to store them.

While many might claim that being a moderator destroys any sense of humor I may have....I did enjoy the posts by otismalibu and both-teams-played-hard.

While I found the posts entertaining, in the interest of helping out all of the members I am going to point out that both the posts by Otismalibu and BTPH were meant to be humorous and not serious. While I do not have any specific reasearch on temperature fluctuations, I have looked into the preservation of these items using acid-free boxes, etc. I do not think that reasonable temperature fluctuations would have a significant effect on the jerseys or the acid-free boxes.

Oh brother. Well I guess the question would be what's reasonable? I live in the South where it gets real hot and keep it no warmer than 80 in the house when I'm away to save on electricity. During the winter no cooler than 75. I just started collecting jerseys this year so this whole idea of how to store them properly is new to me so the whole relectix box joke didn't humor me. The first thing I thought of when I saw the box was fried chicken for some reason. Anyways, thanks for pointing that out.

xmartyx
11-03-2011, 05:20 PM
Do your normal clothes get ruined at a certain temperature?

Display them. Just don't place them directly in front of a window with a lot of sunlight or leave them on the floor under a window that you'll forget to close when it rains.

xpress34
11-03-2011, 08:42 PM
I don't have a basement so whatever the temp is in the house for the most part that's what it is throughout.

Thanks for the input Smitty. What temp do you keep it at if you don't mind me asking? It seems like your collection is in a basement as well?

P4 -

My house is usually in the 72-78 range during the Summer and maybe 75-82 during the Winter.

My basement only has one window which is covered with a dark cloth so not sunlight (even though it wouldn't be direct anyway) and the temp is fairly close to the rest of my house as the basement is unfinished but the HVAC unit is down there as well.

The biggest trick has to do with the lights you use. Get rid of any incandescent bulbs - CFLs are good, but still put out ultraviolet lights which are the biggest enemy to your items especially Autos.

If you can afford it change to LEDs. Home Depot and Lowes carry them and they can get expensive, but think of what they will save you down the road.

My only CFLs are in my overhead lights and they are filtered by the globes over the fixtures. My cases are all LED bulbs.

Hope this helps -

Smitty

frikativ54
11-03-2011, 09:06 PM
The biggest trick has to do with the lights you use. Get rid of any incandescent bulbs - CFLs are good, but still put out ultraviolet lights which are the biggest enemy to your items especially Autos.

If you can afford it change to LEDs. Home Depot and Lowes carry them and they can get expensive, but think of what they will save you down the road.

My only CFLs are in my overhead lights and they are filtered by the globes over the fixtures. My cases are all LED bulbs.

Smitty

Hey Smitty,

Why get rid of incandescent bulbs? I have a whole stash of them ( :p ) and use them in the rooms where I display my game used items. I can't stand CFLs but am open to trying LEDs, if it will help preserve my memorabilia.

mad87man
11-03-2011, 10:40 PM
I keep them in bags on the bottom of a shelf in my room year round. I don't worry about temperature. These jerseys go thru rain, heat, cold, and don't get ruined i don't think it will matter if they are not in AC or heat. Regular clothes are usually fine.

xpress34
11-03-2011, 11:03 PM
Hey Smitty,

Why get rid of incandescent bulbs? I have a whole stash of them ( :p ) and use them in the rooms where I display my game used items. I can't stand CFLs but am open to trying LEDs, if it will help preserve my memorabilia.

Incandescent vs Halogen vs CFL Ultra Violet Output (http://lup.sagepub.com/content/18/6/556.abstract)

From the study:

The results demonstrated UVA leak highest from incandescent and halogen bulbs, and UVB leak highest from CFL. The overall UVA/UVB leak was lowest from CFL shielded during the manufacturing process. In conclusion, patients with photosensitivity have choices depending on their relative risk from different UVL wavelength spectra. UVB exposure risk may be reduced the greatest by utilising CFL with manufacturer-provided shields.

Also, LED tubes and bulbs are the most environmentally friendly choice. They consume the least amount of energy, last longest and are not hazardous to health or the environment.

They don't use heat to make a filament of phosphorous glow.

Hope this helps.

- Smitty

project 4
11-03-2011, 11:07 PM
P4 -

My house is usually in the 72-78 range during the Summer and maybe 75-82 during the Winter.

My basement only has one window which is covered with a dark cloth so not sunlight (even though it wouldn't be direct anyway) and the temp is fairly close to the rest of my house as the basement is unfinished but the HVAC unit is down there as well.

Hope this helps -

Smitty

Helps out a huge deal. Thanks! Most of my stuff are in a box that protects from light in my closet. The only thing that's exposed to the light are a pair of shoes I put in a plastic bag. I have a daylight bulb in my closet that's turned on for obvious reasons. My wife would not like LED bulbs in the closet. I'll work something out. Thanks again!