PDA

View Full Version : Bob Gibson???? ROTFL

Doodles
11-02-2011, 10:02 PM
Grey Flannel is calling this a Bob Gibson 1981 Coach's jacket.
http://catalog.greyflannelauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=26127&searchby=0&searchvalue=None&page=0&sortby=0&displayby=2&lotsperpage=50&category=9&seo=1981-Bob-Gibson-NY-Mets-Coaches-Worn-Bench-Jacket

The Mets started wearing this type jacket in 1984. It is surely a Paul Gibson 1992-3 Mets Starter jacket. Amazing that he also wore 45! This hobby is maddening.

trsent
11-03-2011, 01:57 AM
Grey Flannel is calling this a Bob Gibson 1981 Coach's jacket.
http://catalog.greyflannelauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=26127&searchby=0&searchvalue=None&page=0&sortby=0&displayby=2&lotsperpage=50&category=9&seo=1981-Bob-Gibson-NY-Mets-Coaches-Worn-Bench-Jacket

The Mets started wearing this type jacket in 1984. It is surely a Paul Gibson 1992-3 Mets Starter jacket. Amazing that he also wore 45! This hobby is maddening.

Cool find.

Did you notify Grey Flannel of the error? I'm sure they will be embarrassed but they will correct it.

Doodles
11-03-2011, 05:12 AM
Cool find.

Did you notify Grey Flannel of the error? I'm sure they will be embarrassed but they will correct it.

I sent them an email...let's see what happens.

I love these jackets, but this one is worth about $100...they should send it to me for free for saving them the shame of auctioning it.

Doodles
11-03-2011, 04:38 PM
They were very nice about it and took it off the website.

slats7
11-03-2011, 07:20 PM
They were very nice about it and took it off the website.

If only they'd been as responsible regarding that phony Don Meredith jersey a few auctions back. When I emailed my concerns, two guys called me back and proceeded to harangue me for 20 minutes--warning me not to interfere with the auction or knock them on this site.

legaleagle92481
11-04-2011, 11:38 AM
Wow. I feel bad for the consigner thinking he had a Bob Gibson jacket and it turns out to be Paul's. What are the odds of two guys with the same last name wearing the same number in the same decade? Crazy.

Doodles
11-04-2011, 04:48 PM
Wow. I feel bad for the consigner thinking he had a Bob Gibson jacket and it turns out to be Paul's. What are the odds of two guys with the same last name wearing the same number in the same decade? Crazy.

Perhaps Paul picked number 45 because when he was a kid his friends called him Bob and he thought it was cool...or maybe Charlie Samuels was thinking ahead to when he could sell the stuff as Bob Gibson's so he gave Paul the same number.

Mark17
11-25-2011, 07:24 PM

I have a similar situation. I collect GU Twins bats from the 1962-65 period mostly, and a few years ago was able to purchase a block letter, H&B George Banks, that he used while playing for Cleveland in '64-'66. Turns out, Banks wore #14 and the number is written on the knob. It is also a model S2, 35".

So, I have a mid-1960s game used bat, S2, 35", vintage #14 on the knob, and "BANKS" on the barrel. Basically, it matches Ernie Bank's shipping records exactly, same uniform number and name. Only difference is that Ernie's bats at that time were signature models.

Mark17
11-26-2011, 01:23 AM
Cool find.

Here's another embarrassment for them:

http://catalog.greyflannelauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=26239

A CIRCA 1980's Twins Rod Carew cap. Carew's last year as a Twin was 1978.

Can't they do even basic research on these items?