PDA

View Full Version : How 'bout this Ryan?

Doodles
11-02-2011, 09:32 PM
http://catalog.greyflannelauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=26123&searchby=0&searchvalue=None&page=0&sortby=0&displayby=2&lotsperpage=50&category=1&seo=1966-Dennis-Ribant-NY-Mets-Game-Used-Road-Flannel-Re-Issued-To-%26-Worn-by-Nolan-Ryan-in-1967-%26-S.T.-1

both-teams-played-hard
11-02-2011, 10:37 PM
It is safe to believe that LTC Grob would do the proper research to authenticate this shirt. I would feel confident with an LOA from Dave Grob.

sox83cubs84
11-03-2011, 09:01 PM
FWIW, Nolan Ryan wearing a size 40 seems a bit off to me. Also, I don't see any size similarity. According to the Baseball Almanac website, Ribant was 5-11, 175. Ryan was 6-2, 195, meaning three inches in height and 20 pounds in weight. I think calling it a Ryan jersey is speculative, at best.

Dave Miedema

bsweet
11-03-2011, 11:10 PM
Dave, Lelands in April of 2000 auctioned off a 1969 Nolan Ryan home ,lot 924,that was a size 40.Lelands again in their June auction of this year auctioned a 1970 Ryan Road,lot 124,which was also a size 40. Why would you consider this size to be odd?:confused:

both-teams-played-hard
11-03-2011, 11:25 PM
Does anyone know about Wilson using metric sizing? Many Wilson flannels measure much larger than are sized. Size 40 flannels measure about 22 or 23 inches from armpit to armpit, about a size 44.

sox83cubs84
11-04-2011, 10:05 AM
Dave, Lelands in April of 2000 auctioned off a 1969 Nolan Ryan home ,lot 924,that was a size 40.Lelands again in their June auction of this year auctioned a 1970 Ryan Road,lot 124,which was also a size 40. Why would you consider this size to be odd?:confused:

I just find it a stretch to think of someone 6-2 and 195 wearing that small of a size. Assuming the Lelands' items are genuine, I guess this anomaly is acceptable, but, were the item to be presented to me for examination, I wouldn't speculate that the jersey was passed down to Ryan in my LOO, as I don't feel comfortable making that leap of faith.

Dave Miedema

bsweet
11-04-2011, 11:05 AM
Dave,Have you requested to see Dave Grob's very extensive letter and worksheet on this Ryan Jersey? If not how can you reach a conclusion without ever seeing the evidence presented? Unless you are claiming that Lelands,Grey Flannel, and Dave Grob of Mears are all incorrect as to sizing this jersey does not fail on that test. Without ever looking at the extensive research that went into this jersey why would you be so quick to try to hurt its authenticity.Could there be perhaps a personal reason involved?

sox83cubs84
11-04-2011, 06:47 PM
Dave,Have you requested to see Dave Grob's very extensive letter and worksheet on this Ryan Jersey? If not how can you reach a conclusion without ever seeing the evidence presented? Unless you are claiming that Lelands,Grey Flannel, and Dave Grob of Mears are all incorrect as to sizing this jersey does not fail on that test. Without ever looking at the extensive research that went into this jersey why would you be so quick to try to hurt its authenticity.Could there be perhaps a personal reason involved?

I wasn't reaching an unchangeable conclusion...I was stating an opinion. Circumstances seem to dictate that the possibility does indeed exist. I just wouldn't personally reach to that extent.

Dave M.

MSpecht
11-04-2011, 08:09 PM
Since the discussion here centers around the size of the jersey (and the size of Nolan Ryan), here is the source material of the period which was one of the factors considered in the MEARS work that was completed by Dave Grob (emphasis mine) :

Survey of Contemporary Data Sources.

When dealing with issues of this nature, it is always best to consult period/contemporary sources of data/information. The 1966 Street & Smith Yearbook contains no entry for Nolan Ryan. It does however contain entries for:

#30, Dennis Ribant: 5’,11”; 175lbs

#39, Dick Selma: 5’,11”; 165lbs

*Ribant was traded by the Mets to the Pittsburgh Pirates on 6 December 1966 after appearing in 39 games for the New York Mets in 1966.

The 1967 Street and Smith Yearbook contains entries for both Nolan Ryan and Dick Selma:

#34, Nolan Ryan: 6’,2”; 165lbs

#39, Dick Selma: 5’,11”; 165lbs

I would suggest that anyone interested in this jersey contact GF for a copy of the entire worksheet on this jersey, which is also available on the MEARS site (member's section.) As expected, Dave Grob provides a significant amount of information that was used in the evaluation process.

Mike jackitout7@aol.com

apfriz
11-05-2011, 04:13 PM
Just wanted throw this out there as a 'Keep in mind'
the site is to help / educate / discuss / game used items....

Original poster was asking for opinions....Dave offered his...didnt see the need to blast him about this report and that offering...He wasnt hired to grade the jersey and come back with his findings, he was simply giving his opinion based on what was before him...

Dave is a great poster and has much to offer with respect to what details to look for and i enjoy reading his thoughts on different topics.

Please keep that in mind before you blast someone and accuse them of
some 'personal reason' for forming an opinion that may not be to your liking.

Doodles
11-05-2011, 04:52 PM
Just wanted throw this out there as a 'Keep in mind'
the site is to help / educate / discuss / game used items....

Original poster was asking for opinions....Dave offered his...didnt see the need to blast him about this report and that offering...He wasnt hired to grade the jersey and come back with his findings, he was simply giving his opinion based on what was before him...

Dave is a great poster and has much to offer with respect to what details to look for and i enjoy reading his thoughts on different topics.

Please keep that in mind before you blast someone and accuse them of
some 'personal reason' for forming an opinion that may not be to your liking.

Good point...common sense tells me that when such a long explanation is needed to explain the item, plus a 5 page report, there is some legitimate issues to consider before bidding on this. It is kind of surreal that a jersey can be worth a certain amount, but if Nolan Ryan so much as tried it on in spring training and someone snapped his picture, and he never wore it again, that same jersey will sell for some multiple of that.

sox83cubs84
11-05-2011, 06:29 PM
apfriz and Doodles:

Thanks for the support.

Dave Miedema

MSpecht
11-06-2011, 12:29 PM
"the site is to help / educate / discuss / game used items...."

Well said. I hope that my previous post was not misconstrued as anything other than an educational one, as I, too, consider Dave Miedema to be a serious and valuable contributor to the forum and regularly seek his opinion.

Actually I try to follow a very simple objective formula when posting on items where I either have some knowledge, or have researched some pertinent information:

1. don't take sides regarding previous posters;
2. provide accurate information for collectors to consider; and
3. prompt them to where they can go if they want to know more.

As an aside, as I have stated many times before, I also consider Dave Grob to be an extremely valuable contributor to the Game Used hobby, and he is high on my list of people to contact when I have questions on jerseys and other items.

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com