PDA

View Full Version : Pedroia over Cano for Gold Glove?

Vintagedeputy
11-02-2011, 05:40 AM
Are you friggin' kidding me?

ironmanfan
11-02-2011, 07:00 AM
Thank goodness that Nick Markakis finally won one!

mwbosoxfan
11-02-2011, 07:49 AM
Are you friggin' kidding me?

Vintage, I know you're a Yankee fan and I'm for the Red Sox, but if you put their highlight reels side by side, Pedroia would win in the field hands down. If you want to talk hitting or MVP candidate, then that's a different argument. Furthermore, a stigma attached to Cano is that he doesn't always make the easy play.

AM
11-02-2011, 07:53 AM
And it's not like Cano is Robbie Alomar where it was a slam dunk he should win. It's close with Pedroia, but I think the voters got it right.

And nice to see Gonzalez win his over Texeira, who is also a great glove.

And I'm not a Red Sox fan...

jake33
11-02-2011, 09:03 AM
I hate that it appears that offensive numbers have something to do with gold glove awards.

Vintagedeputy
11-02-2011, 09:06 AM
Vintage, I know you're a Yankee fan and I'm for the Red Sox, but if you put their highlight reels side by side, Pedroia would win in the field hands down. If you want to talk hitting or MVP candidate, then that's a different argument. Furthermore, a stigma attached to Cano is that he doesn't always make the easy play.

There's no doubt that Pedroia works hard on his defense and is very, very good. Having seen both, I think Cano wins hands down. He looks like a magician out there. I still think they got this one wrong.

A-gone over Tex is a toss up. imho. I think both are good and I'd give the nod to Gonzales without second guessing myself. Cano vs. Pedroia is another matter though.

legaleagle92481
11-02-2011, 09:22 AM
Dustin won because he had three less errors albeit in 50 less chances. These things are so subjective alot of times voters decide based on stuff like the number of errors.

CampWest
11-02-2011, 09:52 AM
Can anyone explain how Sam Fuld was a finalist in AL LF? He only started 68 games in LF... That had me worried that I was going to see another 1988 second base voting result (Frank White had just 4 errors and incredible range and lost to Harold Reynolds with 18 errors). Of course Palmeiro won a GG in 1999 when he only played in 28 games at first base.

Anyhow, I was glad to see that they got that one right... Alex Gordon was a monster in LF this year. I watched about 2/3rd - 3/4th of the season and he was consistent and amazing. Alex made all kinds of incredible catches, he was hard charging, aggressive, and saved the pitchers a lot of runs.

Alex had 20 Outfield Assists (led all OF positions in the majors), second in LF in AL had just 7. All MLB, next was at 12.

Alex only committed 3 errors and I recall at least one of those was a near perfect throw to home, but catcher was out of position and couldnt get a glove on it.

shoremen44
11-02-2011, 10:00 AM
Since everyone else is pumping their guy...

Here is my shout out to a well deserved win for Matt Wieters...

Great play behind the plate... If he stays behind the plate and healthy, he will win many more GG

AM
11-02-2011, 10:48 AM
How does everyone feel about Parra and Ethier in NL? Maybin had a great year in the OF and is a centerfielder. McCutchen and Ankiel are real good too.

And I am a Mets fan and I know Jason Bay has been awful at the plate, but he played a great LF this year too. Not saying he deserves a GG, but at least he contributed that to the Mets.

yanks12025
11-02-2011, 12:18 PM
Cano has so much better range than Pedroia. Pedroia can't get to half of the balls Cano can get to and has no-where near the arm Cano has. Just another joke of voting like usual. I'm sure they will screw up the MVP and other awards also.

lakeerie92
11-02-2011, 12:50 PM
I though Erick Aybar over Asdrubal Cabrera was the real surprise. The Cano thing wasn't that big of a deal because it was close and it seams the Yankees fans cry about awards every year.

camarokids
11-02-2011, 01:28 PM
The Cano thing wasn't that big of a deal because it was close and it seams the Yankees fans cry about awards every year.

Don't the Yankees and their fans cry over everything????;)

godwulf
11-03-2011, 08:58 AM
How does everyone feel about Parra and Ethier in NL?

Parra was a bulldog out there in left, this past year. Went for everything, and was consistently amazing, whenever he needed to be. No surprise to me whatsoever.

LastingsMilledge85
11-03-2011, 11:14 AM
How does everyone feel about Parra and Ethier in NL? Maybin had a great year in the OF and is a centerfielder. McCutchen and Ankiel are real good too.

And I am a Mets fan and I know Jason Bay has been awful at the plate, but he played a great LF this year too. Not saying he deserves a GG, but at least he contributed that to the Mets.

Slick Rick doesn't play everyday so the chances of him winning are slim-to-none. McCutchen is very overrated as a defensive outfielder. He is above average, but not great and would not be considered one of the three best in the league to win the award. I am very surprised you mentioned Jason Bay. I thought almost the opposite of his fielding. He is not an awful fielder, but he isn't very good. The one thing I like about Bay though is that he does put effort into his game and it shows in the outfield. He isn't afraid to hit the wall, but give him a month to heal if he does.

AM
11-03-2011, 12:39 PM
I mentioned Bay in surprise. I never thought much of his defense, but he did play well this year. By no means a gold glover, but played hard and at least tried to help when his bat was nonexistent.

Shipp_96
11-04-2011, 06:30 PM
Slick Rick doesn't play everyday so the chances of him winning are slim-to-none. McCutchen is very overrated as a defensive outfielder. He is above average, but not great and would not be considered one of the three best in the league to win the award.

You are entitled to your opinion, but how is 'Cutch overrated as a defensive fielder? Look at the highlight reel catches he made this year for proof, don't take my word for it. I would hardly call him "above average". Many called him the best center-fielder in the game this season, when I watched them on national TV. Also, he was not even nominated for the award, so hard to see how you equate that to be overrated? To be overrated you would have to be a Yankee I thought ;). Just my two cents, and yes I am a Pirates homer.