PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Rice Gamer on ebay?

respo
10-31-2011, 07:50 AM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/230690284007?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_500wt_1170

What are your thoughts on this? looks iffy

CollectGU
10-31-2011, 07:10 PM
I am not an expert on Niners gamers. Could you specify what you think is "iffy" about the jersey?

Thanks,
Dave

nickacs
10-31-2011, 07:45 PM
GUU member 'Solarlottry' is your man to ask! He is the 49'ers KING when it comes to anything 49'er GU..

Good luck!

legaleagle92481
11-02-2011, 09:26 AM
The jersey doesn't appear to show any use. Even if it was washed if it were used in multiple games as they were back then there should be something indicating use. This jersey looks like it is brand new. The seller also has a very low feedback rating.

solarlottry
11-03-2011, 02:47 AM
One must be extremely careful when buying game used 49er shirts from 1996-1998. For one thing almost exactly the same jerseys were sold to the public. The company that made and provided these jerseys to the team went out of business a # of years ago and sold their entire inventory online, which included a # of Rice and Steve Young 1996 shirts. These shirts were identical to the jerseys worn by the team except that the team issued shirts had a different code printed on the flag tag that was attached to the neck tagging.

Problem is that these flag tags had different codes for different players and the code for one player meaning game used may have been the code for a retail shirt for another player.

Making things more confusing is that the 49ers recycled many of these gamers for use in 1997 and even into 1998. I have 2 photo-matched game used Steve Young 1997 shirts that were both recycled from 1996. In 1996 they were used by another player as one of the shirts has a # change. Both shirts have remnants of the 50th patch.

If someone is interested in buying a 1996-98 game worn Rice or Steve Young, I would only buy a shirt that had a definitive photo-match.

Also use common sense! How could a game used Jerry Rice 1996 jersey, with the 50th patch, cost so little. His gamers routinely sell for thousands of $$$! 1994 gamers with team letters and the equipment managers tape noting the game the shirt was worn, can sell for 10K and up.

I dont think I have ever seen an authentic 1996 game used Rice shirt for sale. AMI had a 1996 home shirt for sale last month that may have been legit as it was a recycled 96 shirt. It did not meet the reserve though.

The owner of the company who made the shirts, told me he sold A PAIR of gamers (home and away) on Ebay a few years ago for around 2500$. The team had sent him the shirts in order to design the next years jerseys. When the company went out of business the 49ers never asked for them back. He said he almost "shit his pants" when the auction hit 2K! What was interesting is that he had no idea of the shirts value. Whomever won them got one hell of a deal!

Always buying 49ers gamers and any 1994 49er gamer! Paying a finders fee.

Paul
garciajones@yahoo.com