PDA

View Full Version : Former Alabama and Jets P/K dies

sox83cubs84
10-29-2011, 08:10 PM
Greg Gantt, a punter for the New York Jets in 1974-75 and a punter-kicker for the Crimson Tide in 1971-73, died this past Wednesday at age 59. Cause of death was declared to be complications from heart disease and diabetes.

While remembered for two blocked punts that were returned for TDs in a 17-16 loss to Auburn in 1972, Gantt's career in college rose above that. He is tied with 2 other kickers for the longest FG (50 yards) in Cotton Bowl history, and also was the leading punter in the SEC for all three of his seasons at Alabama.

Dave Miedema

G1X
10-31-2011, 12:56 AM
I am saddened to hear the news of the passing of Greg Gantt. He is from my hometown of Birmingham, Alabama, and played high school football at Woodlawn which was the main rival of the high school I attended.

For college football fans in the state of Alabama, Greg Gantt is almost always identified with the two blocked punts that he suffered against hated arch-rival Auburn that led to one of the greatest upsets in the Alabama-Auburn rivalry. The year was 1972 and Alabama had breezed through the season undefeated and ranked #2 in the nation going into the finale against Auburn. It was supposed to be a down year for Auburn as Heisman Trophy winner Pat Sullivan had graduated along with All-American wideout Terry Beasley and several other key members of their 1971 team that had gone undefeated before losing to Alabama in the last game of the season and Oklahoma in the Sugar Bowl.

Despite the predictions of being a rebuilding year, Auburn put together a great season with the only blemish being an early season thumping by LSU. Alabama's wishbone offense was pouring on the points all year, but against Auburn, they struggled to put points on the board and led 16-0 headed into the fourth quarter. Auburn's offense was even worse as they were having trouble making first downs.

Finally, about midway through the fourth quarter, Auburn put together a drive deep into Alabama territory. On fourth down, legendary coach Ralph Jordan called for a field goal. I can still remember hearing Tiger fans booing in the stands as I listened on the radio as they didn't want the Tigers to settle for a field goal. Being a big Auburn fan, all I wanted was for Auburn to break the shutout. The kick was good making the score 16-3.

The next Alabama drive stalled, and Gantt dropped back to punt. Auburn put on a big rush and Bill Newton broke through the line and blocked the kick. Amazingly, it bounced perfectly into the hands of speedy defensive back David Langner who ran it in for a touchdown. Suddenly, the score was 16-10 with about 5 minutes left to play, and all of us Auburn fans were praying that the Tigers could hold the Tide and get one more chance with the football.

Alabama couldn't move the ball on their next possession and were once again forced to punt. Unbelievably, it looked like a replay of the last punt as Newton broke through to block the kick and it once again bounced perfectly into the hands of Langner who ran it in again for a TD.

On Alabama's next possession, Langner picked off a pass, but Auburn couldn't kill the clock. They were forced to punt, but Bama could only run a couple of plays afterwards before the clock expired. To this day, I still get chills listening to the radio broadcast of the blocked kicks.

Interesting side notes about the game:
- Auburn blocked an extra point earlier in the game which ended up being the difference between a victory and a tie.
- Gantt and Langner were teammates at Woodlawn High School.
- Alabama's offensive line that allowed the blocked punts was one of the best in the nation. It consisted of two All-Americans - Jim Krapf and Hall-of-Famer John Hannah, one of the greatest offensive linemen in NFL history. Another lineman, Buddy Brown, was an All-American in 1973.

Greg Gantt was a great college punter, and it is a shame that many remember him mostly for the blocked punts instead of his fine punting abilities.

Mark Hayne