PDA

View Full Version : 1982 California Angels Jerseys

RJB44
10-29-2011, 03:15 PM
Below is a jersey that was supposedly used by Reggie Jackson during spring training 1982. The jersey is described as a Rawlings with tag "Set 1 1978". Now I know that the Angels wore Rawlings for roads in 1978, not sure when they switched to Goodman (roads). My issue with this jersey below is that the sleeves are not consistent with the 1978 style. Were they different for road and home?

On another note regarding Angels jersey, does anyone know what year they wore (spring training or season) the American flag on the upper left breast? I am referring to the ones they wore on the pull over knits, not on the button down BPs in 1990 spring training. I think the breast flag was worn in 1986, possibly ST? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

sox83cubs84
10-29-2011, 05:41 PM
I know that Goodman was making road jerseys as far back as 1981, so I think that the attribution of Reggie to this item is the result of either someone's wishful thinking or their assumption that the eventual buyer will not research the jersey.

As far as the US flag patches on the Angels pullovers go, that was NOT a major league deal. The Angels recycled their home and road Rawlings (and also some Goodman) pullovers to the lower level of the minors, and the flags were worn at the AA level on down where these recycled Angels unies were sent. The vast majority of these jerseys were purchased by the late Dick Dobbins, who had the NOB's very nicely restored (most likley by GUU's own Lon Lewis) and also had the flag patches removed, due to their not being part of the uniform on the MLB level. The usage of these patches would have been in 1991, in relation to the first Gulf War.

Hope this helps. Maybe Lon or Angels eexpert Tom Duino can add to this.

Dave Miedema

Kabron1971
10-30-2011, 12:09 AM
Try contacting Tom Duino, he's well versed with regards to Angels gamers....Good Luck.

RJB44
11-27-2011, 01:55 AM
Follow-up on flag patch on Angels jerseys. Looks like it was Midland who wore the Flag patch on the jersey.

bluejay4eva34
08-05-2013, 03:13 PM
Looking for game photos or poses maybe even my father's jersey while with the Angels...pitcher Jesse Jefferson#34.