PDA

View Full Version : The one game used item you wish you never sold.

Gridiron Heroes
10-29-2011, 08:03 AM
What's the one game used item you wish you never sold. For me, there have been many, but more than anything else that I've sold I wish I could have back was the first piece I sold. Kelley clear shell Detroit Lions game used helmet to Jim Parker. Now deceased, but loved and respected as one of the early helmet gurus in the hobby and one of the finest people I've ever had the honor to meet and call friend. This was the most beautiful helmet I've ever seen and still regret selling, although it sparked a great friendship. Jim also passed worlds of knowledge about football helmets to me in our many conversations.

Shawn Kennedy
gridironheroes22@yahoo.com
GridironHeroes.net

jake33
10-29-2011, 12:18 PM
Tough choice but comes down to

Rob Johnson 2002 Bucs game sued jersey, offered the guy TRIPLE what I sold it to him for and still wouldn't budge

Shipp_96
10-29-2011, 12:23 PM
For me it would be either my Ray Durham game worn A's helmet (due to I met Ray at a public signing and he got such a kick out of holding it again) or my Raul Ibanenz game worn Pilots helmet from MLB auctions. That was rough because it was photo matched to the one game the M's wore those unis. Plus to see where Raul has gone from there in his career with Philly, would have made it all the more special.

zookerman182
10-29-2011, 12:34 PM
My ryan braun 2006 Huntsville Stars AA uncracked game used black sam bat.

Ive never seen it or one like it since.

flaco1801
10-29-2011, 01:59 PM
Just remember collectors never SELL... you may wanna debate that comment but i believe it...

BostonSportsFan
10-29-2011, 02:06 PM
Just remember collectors never SELL... you may wanna debate that comment but i believe it...

Unfortunately if it is that vs. putting food on the table for your family, or trying to pay medical bills etc. that may influence or force your hand. As a collector for over 3 decades I can say that there have been times when I had zero choice as family and responsibilities on that end come before any collectible 100% of the time.

Joe

geoff
10-29-2011, 02:15 PM
Jimmy Rollins game used bat mlb authenticated.I think a forum member had or has the bat though.

Jeffredsfan
10-29-2011, 03:13 PM
Ahhhh, you brought up bad memories!!! I had a game used, all original 1969 Houston Astros home shooting star jersey of Cesar Geronimo. Bought it in 1984, sold it in 1986 - regretted every second of my life since then (or at lest that part of my life) ;)

lakeerie92
10-29-2011, 03:46 PM
Chipper Jones game used bat. It was uncracked with tons of use directly from the Braves. I sold it to make a purchase of a Josh Hamilton that ended up getting sold out from under me. The bat was relisted recently, but the buyer had it signed with the inscription "Go Braves" I don't like signed bats so I passed.

Baseball83
10-29-2011, 03:46 PM
1974 Hank Aaron game worn home jersey. painful. very painful

Jeffredsfan
10-29-2011, 04:47 PM
1974 Hank Aaron game worn home jersey. painful. very painful

You've got me trumped, my friend! My condolences. :(

xpress34
10-29-2011, 05:27 PM
Unfortunately if it is that vs. putting food on the table for your family, or trying to pay medical bills etc. that may influence or force your hand. As a collector for over 3 decades I can say that there have been times when I had zero choice as family and responsibilities on that end come before any collectible 100% of the time.

Joe

+1

Also, it is a HOBBY and I am a COLLECTOR. Sometimes in order to obtain an item I covet, I must SELL or TRADE to acquire it.. I don't believe that makes me any less a collector.

I do also from time to time re-evaluate the direction my collection is going and make items available for sale that no longer fit my collecting trend. Again, that doesn't make me any less of a collector.

sox83cubs84
10-29-2011, 05:35 PM
That would be what was once my 1992 Cubs TBTC road of Derrick May. I kept it for 4-5 years, and only sold it due to financial difficulties. The buyer assured me that I would get first chance to repurchase it if he decided to let it go, and I was dumb enough to trust him...less than 6 months later, he stuck it in a Mastro auction at a reserve beyond my means. I never saw that one again.

Dave Miedema

Gridiron Heroes
10-29-2011, 06:03 PM

Hoarders don't sell. I'm a collector, not a hoarder. Every single person that I've personally known in the hobby, including myself, has sold items in their collection(s). It's part of the hobby and collecting. I've also traded numerous items as well. On that note, if I have an important piece that's Gopher related, I make sure to sell it to one of my partners so it stays in "our" collection. Same w/ rare Big Ten helmets.

Shawn Kennedy
gridironheroes22@yahoo.com
GridironHeroes.net

solarlottry
10-29-2011, 06:03 PM
Where should I start?!!!!!

After collecting for about 10 years I sold a fair amount of my collection as I was interested in other things. About 6 years ago the bug bit me again and I have been looking for some of the 49er gamers I sold in 1999.

The top 5 items I have sold:

Deion Sanders 1994 away throwback worn vs the Saints with team letter

Terrell Owens 1997 home gamer with nice use and repairs-purchased directly from a team source at training camp in 1998.

Jamie Williams 1993 away gamer with team letter-purchased from Dick Dobbins at a Cow Palace card show in SF.

John Taylor 1993 away gamer with team letter-nice use and repairs

Ricky Jackson 1994 home non throwback with team letter

If anyone has any of these items I will gladly pay you a hefty sum for any of them. They were all sold to BPH back in 1999 and Kim has no records of to whom they were sold.

I would love to find at least one of these shirts and will gladly pay a finders fee for information leading to the purchase of any of the listed gamers.

Always buying 49ers gamers and ANY 1994 49er gamer. Paying a finders fee for quality pieces.

Paul
garciajones@yahoo.com

There are a few others but if I could find any one

kylehess10
10-29-2011, 06:24 PM
The only item I can think of that I actually miss is an unwashed MLB authenticated, signed Jair Jurrjens 2011 home jersey, worn & collected from his July 1st start which was the best of his career: a complete game 1-hit shutout. I needed the money though so I let it go and I did get a good price for it but I knew from the beginning that I'll miss that jersey!

legaleagle92481
10-30-2011, 02:01 AM

disagree with that, sometimes you have no choice. i have no selling regrets. ive sold a few items but only to acquire items i wanted more and otherwise wouldnt be able to afford. i am a massive tim duncan fan. last spring meigray procured a duncan home jersey and i had to have it. unfortunately i was tapped out at the time so i sold an eli manning jersey i had to cover the purchase. i like eli alot but tim is my favorite basketball player so i had to have it and i was willing to trade off a jersey i cared less about for it.

kudu
10-30-2011, 10:34 PM
Well, considering the recent events that took place in St Louis, it would be this one:

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=48833&d=1300728177

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=48834&d=1300728177

2007 David Freese Lake Elsinore Storm Camo Jersey :(

LastingsMilledge85
10-30-2011, 10:49 PM
That Freese jersey is on eBay right now.

kudu
10-31-2011, 11:55 AM
That Freese jersey is on eBay right now.

Oh wow, thanks for the heads up :)

OaklandAsFan
10-31-2011, 12:12 PM
Back in the late 80's/ early 90's Mcgwire used to carry game used stuff out to his car to hand out for those of us standing there waiting for autographs. Over the course of that time I acquired 2 bats, a pair of cleats and a couple of batting gloves. Sold em all my junior year of high school so I could by some great seats to the Metallic/Gun's N Roses concert.

gnishiyama
10-31-2011, 12:19 PM
Sold em all my junior year of high school so I could by some great seats to the Metallic/Gun's N Roses concert.Sounds to me like it was worth it, unless you held on and sold them in the late
90's. That might have gotten you backstage passes.

NEFAN
10-31-2011, 01:25 PM
Change of Sport, a Tom Lawson Hershey Bears Goalie mask. Had a great paintjob. Needed $$ bad at the time.

CampWest
10-31-2011, 01:39 PM
Back in the late 80's/ early 90's Mcgwire used to carry game used stuff out to his car to hand out for those of us standing there waiting for autographs. Over the course of that time I acquired 2 bats, a pair of cleats and a couple of batting gloves. Sold em all my junior year of high school so I could by some great seats to the Metallic/Gun's N Roses concert.

Awesome... I went to the Metallica + Guns N Roses concert in what 1992? 1993? Cannot recall, but it was at Arrowhead Stadium in KC.

Though I'm with ya, I'd rather have the Mac bats.

legaleagle92481
10-31-2011, 02:54 PM

How much were the tickets that you had to give up all that stuff for them? I saw Metallica once and it was like 70 bucks for floor.

OaklandAsFan
10-31-2011, 06:20 PM
I forget how much they were its been awhile, I know that i had 4 seats 2nd row center for the concert (had to act like the bigwig to impress a girl you know how that goes, and yes that did work out wink wink)

Actually went to both concerts, the second day was the one where Axl got nailed in the nuts by a lighter thrown from the stands

panthrotc
11-02-2011, 10:54 PM

I would killed for that free stuff as a 9 year old.

He continued that trend. When he played in the mid 90's before the 50 HR seasons and remember there was no eBay , finding GU stuff of his while living across the US in NJ was impossible. Thanks to Tuff Stuff magazine , in 1994 or 1995 I was able to pick up a signed Game Model A's bat from the Man of Steel Sports store whom was from California. I remember getting that bat in the mail and boy was it epic lol. I paid 139$ which was from saving up from birthdays and holidays. I shoulda sold that in 98' and I think I woulda cleaned up.

3arod13
01-21-2012, 09:46 AM
I sold a Juan Gonzalez Game Used Glove in order to pick up an Alex Rodriguez Game Used item I desprately wanted. At the time, it didn't think twice about selling it. However, couple years later, I regretted it, as it was the only piece that I owed of Juan's that he personal signed pics for me of the glove, and also sent me a peronal letter. I was a big Juan Gonzalez collector before Arod.

legaleagle92481
01-23-2012, 10:45 AM
Perfect time for this thread to come back. I sold my Eli Manning jersey over the summer, I am not a Giants fan at all but I would have made alot more off it now then I did then.

GameWornJCollector
01-23-2012, 12:27 PM
i sold my game worn josh howard mavericks silver alternate to get a game worn dirk nowitzki meigray jersey... but i thank god that i still have a game worn silver jersey. one of the rarest nba jerseys

dcrules01
01-23-2012, 12:37 PM

I had to part with some of my items last year between Aug-Dec my disability ran out had back surgery in Feb and I wasn't able to go back to work. I hope nobody has to go through that I had no income for 4 months. So there are circumstances. Back surgery was unsucesfull still have a lot of pain maybe more than before and I can't move my 4 small toes on my left foot. Anyways back to the topic at hand..

My Doug Flynn stuff and Joel Youngblood stuff..

34swtns
01-25-2012, 12:53 PM
"collectors don't sell" ?

I am a collector and I sell all the time.....to get different stuff.
That's what collectors do.

Hoarders are the ones who acquire things with the intention of never letting them go.

That being said, the item I'm most regretful about selling is definitely the 2006 Brian Urlacher alternate uniform I bought from our deity, Roger Gibson.

I sold/traded it to another individual with the specific agreement that I would get first shot at it if he ever sold it. He sold it to someone else within weeks of acquiring it from me and I haven't spoken to him since.

Mulligans
01-25-2012, 01:17 PM
I regret selling my Brady Jersey a little bit, but what the heck....there will be more.

I am one of those Collectors that LOVES to Sell....I am constantly tweeking my collection and it feels good making another collector happy as they improve their collection.

808jerseys
04-16-2013, 10:32 AM
I sold my Dez Bryant game used jersey from NFL auctions. The money was used for a Jason Witten GU jersey that I wanted for awhile. Now my buddy wants more for the Dez jersey back! Well having a chance to get it back is better than not having the opportunity......I guess !!
Gotta Love this hobby,
:D

ironmanfan
04-16-2013, 01:20 PM
"collectors don't sell" ?

I am a collector and I sell all the time.....to get different stuff.
That's what collectors do.

Hoarders are the ones who acquire things with the intention of never letting them go.

I guess I'm a hoarder....I don't let them go because i enjoy them in my collection

:)

onlyalbert
04-16-2013, 05:02 PM
I hope to be able to add to this thread at the conclusion of the next Golin auction! ;)

onlyalbert
04-16-2013, 05:11 PM
Goldin.....sorry.

dolphanz
04-16-2013, 09:20 PM
I regret selling my Brady Jersey a little bit, but what the heck....there will be more.

I am one of those Collectors that LOVES to Sell....I am constantly tweeking my collection and it feels good making another collector happy as they improve their collection.

Your the reason I ended up with my grail! Thank you!!!

dolphanz
04-16-2013, 09:22 PM
Back in 98 I sold my tiger woods glove that was GU and personal autographed to me.. Needed money for senior prom.

Over 10 years later, found it in an auction and paid big money for it...

It was worth every penny

beaglegypsy003
04-16-2013, 10:46 PM
I sold my Dez Bryant game used jersey from NFL auctions. The money was used for a Jason Witten GU jersey that I wanted for awhile. Now my buddy wants more for the Dez jersey back! Well having a chance to get it back is better than not having the opportunity......I guess !!
Gotta Love this hobby,
:D
Hey Rex, at least it wasn't me this time!

808jerseys
04-16-2013, 11:15 PM
Lester
I need to start a new thread on selling to you !
----- The Black Hole ------
:cool:

808jerseys
04-20-2013, 10:02 PM
Got back the jersey that I wish I'd never sold. Has cost me more than what I originally paid for it.

Jayworld
04-22-2013, 08:56 AM
Both an easy and difficult answer. I had to sell my 1985 Lamarr Hoyt game-used bat back in 2010 for financial reasons (yes, collectors do sell to help pay bills, unforeseen medical expenses, etc.).

The reason this is hard is that my dad bought the bat for me as part of my high school senior graduation present, which included a flight to San Diego and three games there, plus a tour of the clubhouse, meeting Dick Williams in-person in his office, etc. Fantastic trip. The bat was for sale in the Padres gift shop, and my dad got it for me. Had a heck of a time sending it back on the plane; finally had to check it in a cardboard "hang-up" container stuffed with lots of newspaper.

I tried to contact the buyer about possibly buying the bat back, and received a curt reply ("I buy unique game used items and never sell" answer)... That's the way it goes sometimes. Still would love to have the bat back, if for no other reason, than it was the only game-used item that my dad ever bought me.