PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on this Barry Larkin GU Jersey and Auto?

vdsporty25
10-28-2011, 04:04 PM
Just curious if anybody had any thoughts on this Larkin jersey as well as the auto. The signature is the cleanest auto I have seen of his which makes me weary...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Barry-Larkin-Game-Worn-Signed-Jersey-Cincinnati-Reds-/190590419866?pt=US_Baseball_Fan_Shop&hash=item2c6013039a

Any thoughts would be appreciated

spartanservitto
10-28-2011, 05:38 PM
The autograph is gorgeous, and legit.... not an expert on jerseys though.

-Tony

sox83cubs84
10-28-2011, 06:57 PM
The size is right...the only possible concern is that the jersey does not have the "Property Of" year tag underneath the Russell label. That, in itself, isn't a deal-breaker, but, on a player of Larkin's caliber, I'd want to study it. The size (46) is one not made for retail sale, so we can pretty much rule that out. I'm not sure when the Reds began regularly using the "Property Of" tags, though I have seen 1993s and '94s without it. I'd have to do some research to determine whether they were a regular feature by 1995 (the earliest date of issue this jersey could have, based on the Russell tag design). Personally, given the provenance, I would believe it to be, at a minimum, game-issued. Without having it in hand, it would be irresponsible to comment on wear or lack thereof.

Dave Miedema

jshortt
10-28-2011, 11:20 PM
Signature is legit. That's the friends & family or "I only have to sign 1" signature.

As Dave said, the size 46 isn't available to the public. I know that in the past, when players wanted to give away (or sell) game jerseys, often times they would buy them "for personal use" direct from Majestic or the Reds before the property tag was applied. Then, they wear 'em for a game, and out the door they go. Dunn used to do this quite a bit. That's my guess as to why the typical Reds property tag is missing. Good possibility that it's just a game issued, and wasn't worn.

HTH,
J

rchimes13@yahoo.com
10-31-2011, 11:20 AM
Saw this jersey as well and (a buddy of mine played in MLB for 4 years with Tigers and Brewers) players can order MLB jersey's from their clubhouse manager at cost (in 2006 it was $110) and when they do so it comes in that specific players size and measurements. Many players purchase opposing players jerseys to have them signed for their personal collections etc. My friend was a pitcher and did so with many other pitchers (Maddux, Ryan, Schilling) and had them signed when they played that team. I personally witnessed several of these jerseys going to the other teams clubhouse while in Milwaukee (Barry Bonds would actually charge another player for his auto $100 and when Gwynn Jr. was with Brewers many players ordered his dads jersey for him to have signed) Not saying that is what this Larkin jersey is, but there's a good chance since it came from a player collection.

AWA85
10-31-2011, 10:40 PM
After seeing this jersey before in a previous auction, I really believe it is just an issued jersey that Barry gave to Curt. It does not show use and it makes sense that it was an extra/issued jersey Barry signed and passed to Curt.

Unlike us, I doubt players "care" about getting another player a game used jersey or would go to the efforts of wearing it for a game or two knowing they are going to give it as a gift. Although that would make us happy, I doubt it is on the mind of the giver or receiver amongst pro athletes.

sox83cubs84
10-31-2011, 11:21 PM
Unlike us, I doubt players "care" about getting another player a game used jersey or would go to the efforts of wearing it for a game or two knowing they are going to give it as a gift. Although that would make us happy, I doubt it is on the mind of the giver or receiver amongst pro athletes.

Well said. Players generally don't place the emphasis on game-used that nearly all Forum members would. The same goes for many front office employees.

Dave Miedema