PDA

View Full Version : What search specifics do you use when "perusing" the bay?

Preston
10-28-2011, 11:53 AM
Hey guys,

Kind of a dumb question, but when you search on ebay for game used stuff, what do you typically type in the search box?

I personally use "game jersey -(card)" so anything that's a game jersey (well, almost anything) comes up and some of the cards are omitted from the search. But if there a foolproof way to search for all different types of game used stuff? (I hesitate to use "worn" or "used" because both have stuff listed under them, sometimes separately), and I do the same thing when searching for gloves "i.e. game glove -(card)".

Didn't know if I was making it harder than it had to be or just how other people did their searches.

ironmanfan
10-28-2011, 11:55 AM
Ripken

cliffjmp33
10-28-2011, 12:30 PM
I type in whatever item I want, say "Rivera" or "Mariano Rivera". Then I go to the game used section on the left hand side. If I miss out on an item because it was listed differently, so be it.

BULBUS
10-28-2011, 12:37 PM
I collect NY Giants and Yankees, so I will type Giants or Yankees and search in the game used memorabilia category. Also, I mostly collect bats, so I will type the players name and bat and search all categories in case the seller doesn't list it in the game used category. Sometimes a seller will list a signed game used bat in the autograph category. I still miss stuff though :mad:

frikativ54
10-28-2011, 01:23 PM
For Jeff Bagwell, it's pretty easy. I just type in "Bagwell." However, when I'm looking for Darwin Barney stuff, I have to type in his whole name. :p

I also check out "game cleats" and "game glove." In these cases, you don't see cleats being chopped up into cards, and very rarely, gloves. So there is not much worry about not getting what you want with these searches.

However, when I am looking for squirrel stuff, it sometimes looks like this:

"Squirrel -taxidermy -mount -fur -coat -cage." It can be quite a task to get what I'm looking for.

otismalibu
10-28-2011, 02:00 PM
It was so much more fun when one could bid stalk. :)

sox83cubs84
10-28-2011, 07:12 PM
I run two different jersey searches: game used jersey and game worn jersey.

Qualifiers:

omit: 1/1 of (as in 1 of 1)

Value range:
$20 low end, $200,000 high end (the $20 minimum omits 90% plus of the jersey cards.

On caps, I used game used cap game worn cap, game used hat, and game worn hat. No qualifiers on the "game worn" notations; on game used cap I omit pogs, lids, milk and zelda (the first three inter-related, the last a video game reference that I eliminate). On game used hat, I omit one word: cat (you wouldn't believe how much Cat in the Hat crap is on there).

I also search "game used baseball" and "home run", with each having several omissions. For game used baseballs, I omit: apba, strat (as in Strat-O-Matic), cadaco (all baseball strategy card games); as well as several video game brands. This reduces my viewing to rarely more than 1 or 2 pages.

For "home run", I omit gypsy (gypsy queen), leaders (Topps cards), derby, club and 500 (mostly autographed items) beanie (beanie babies), the names of several HoFers whose items either don't appear or I can't afford, and wheat (a numismatist has been deluging eBay with rolls of wheat ear Lincoln
pennies. The search is normally 2-3 pages in length.

That's my take...I'm anxious in hearing others.

Dave Miedema

34swtns
10-28-2011, 08:36 PM
"bears game jersey" "bears game worn" "bears game used"

I usually end up having to weed through a ton of those horrible jersey swatch cards but since I search daily for the most recent listings I only have to look through around 20 items, more or less, on any given day.

sox83cubs84
10-28-2011, 10:59 PM
"bears game jersey" "bears game worn" "bears game used"

I usually end up having to weed through a ton of those horrible jersey swatch cards but since I search daily for the most recent listings I only have to look through around 20 items, more or less, on any given day.

You can probably have the important game-used stuff in its entirety and from soonest to end to most recently posted with minimal card items involved by using the price range of $20 (low) to $200,000 (high). I did so just a few hours ago for "bears game jersey" and only had 33 listings...well under a full page of 50...and I saw everything. Give it a try.

Dave Miedema

Klattsy
10-30-2011, 09:22 PM
I browse the Game Used Memorabilia -> baseball category with this search:

-"upper deck" -, -"topps" -, -"patches" -, -"rc" -, -"fleer" -, -"bowman" -, -"ud" -, -"sp" -, -"donruss" -, -"leaf" -, -"replica" -, -"finest" -, -"card" -, -"plaque"

Gets rid of most of the crap.