PDA

View Full Version : There is a time to sell and a time to hold

Buster23!
10-25-2011, 08:25 PM
I am a huge San Francisco Giants game used collector. Last year when they made they playoffs, I almost went broke buying all the stuff that was posted on GUU, Ebay, other auctions & friends. I think I bought 21 bats in 31 days. I could not help but notice where in the heck is all the Cardinals & Rangers stuff. If you are going to sell what a better time than when that team is in the World Series. What do you think

sox83cubs84
10-25-2011, 08:45 PM
It seems that there have been some Rangers game worn jerseys on the Bay recently...the two C. J. Wilsons I mentioned in another thread, plus a Nelson Cruz. As far as a Cardinals stuff, it hasn't been that long since one St. Louis dealer was listing a half-dozen Redbirds caps at a time of current and recent players. I don't check on bats, so I can't say what is or isn't appearing there, but it may be a matter of team/item pairings, as opposed to an overall paucity of items.

Dave Miedema

flota89
10-25-2011, 09:52 PM
I'm wondering the same thing.

yanks12025
10-25-2011, 10:05 PM
Dave,

What did you say about the C.J. Wilson and Cruz. I looked but could not find a thread.

sox83cubs84
10-26-2011, 02:37 PM
Dave,

What did you say about the C.J. Wilson and Cruz. I looked but could not find a thread.

It was the "1 in 10,000" thread on one of the categories here (forgot which one). It was more a commentary on the unique nature of the ebay listings and inventory tags than a critque of the items themselves. Plus the thread only mentioned the 2 Wilsons, not the Cruz.

Dave Miedema

Fnazxc0114
10-26-2011, 05:01 PM
good point, i realy like my rangers collection, but im not selling anything. I think i have about bought every high end item that can be found for the current team.

Birdbats
10-26-2011, 06:21 PM
Cardinals bats are plentiful at the team's Authentics Store, but you'll pay a premium. You don't see 2011 bats in the secondary market because if you bought at the store, which is about the only legit outlet at the moment, you'd sell at a loss. I know a few 2011 bats have made it out via charity auctions and other ways, but those are few and far between.

legaleagle92481
11-02-2011, 09:43 AM
I am a huge San Francisco Giants game used collector. Last year when they made they playoffs, I almost went broke buying all the stuff that was posted on GUU, Ebay, other auctions & friends. I think I bought 21 bats in 31 days. I could not help but notice where in the heck is all the Cardinals & Rangers stuff. If you are going to sell what a better time than when that team is in the World Series. What do you think

Alot of collectors want to hold stuff because they are basking in the glory of their team and or player winning. The dealers sell year round so the only thing stuff like this affects is their asking price but for collectors to liquidate their collection after their team wins would seem counter intuitive. If one of my teams wins I want more stuff from them not to sell my existing stuff. The Giants last year other than Posey and the pitchers were a team of mercenaries (vets who had only been there a shortime) so that may have created the brisk selling market as people who had stuff from these players in their collections just were looking for the chance to unload it and it was unlikely to ever sell for as much again. Before the Series people were not exactly lining up for Cody Ross, Renteria and Uribe. The Cards and Rangers have more star position players who have a more concrete link to their teams and a wider collecter base. That is what I think the difference is.