PDA

View Full Version : Denver Broncos Helmet Help

ethanoah
10-24-2011, 11:20 PM
Hey All,

Once again asking for the great help of the GUU community. I was wondering if you thought this helmet is actually an Authentic Denver Broncos game used Helmet?

thanks,
Ethan

ethanoahkc@gmail.com

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x241/ethanoah/5V35Z65X13k93oe3pcbafd05262e1b89d1e30.jpg
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x241/ethanoah/5V45Z65X43nb3mb3l2baf9aaf6024e8cd1cc0.jpg
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x241/ethanoah/5W35P35S63kc3pb3l3bafeba2c8f0006d18ba.jpg
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x241/ethanoah/photo-1-2.jpg

Shipp_96
10-24-2011, 11:49 PM
First thing that jumps at me is the facemask is the incorrect color. Denver has had dark blue facemasks since changing their helmets in 1997. So that alone puts it in question. Second the logo looks off. Compare it to this shot of a helmet on the field during a game. Last, BIKE may or may not still make NFL helmets, but I doubt they do now (but not sure of this).

Jake51
10-25-2011, 12:03 PM
Hi Ethan,

That is not a BRONCS helmet.

As Shipp pointed out, the logo and facemask are wrong - logo looks home made, probably for a high school team - and the numbers on the back are wrong as well. The BRONCS use a circular decal with white numbers that is placed off to the right of the stripes.

Also, I don't believe the BRONCS have used BIKE helmets since switching to the new logo (and don't think the model shown is even an NFL shell) but if Robert were around he'd be able to provide more detail than I can.

Thanks,

Tom

ethanoah
10-25-2011, 02:18 PM
Thanks Guys! Luckily I didn't buy it.

John in KY
10-27-2011, 02:58 PM
That basic model Bike helmet is still around; it is now made by Adams. In the early 2000s several NFL players used them; now I think only a couple of kickers still use them (Janikowski with the Raiders does and maybe a few other players).

The helmet in question is of course not a Broncos helmet; I'm not sure if that particular Bike helmet is a varsity (HS, College or Pro) or if it is a youth helmet (they look alike and the top of the line youth helmet did have the air inflators like the varsity helmets).

Intersting point - Bike is now a 2-time loser at the helmet game. They produced the Air Power helmets from their introduction in the 1970s until their ownership (a surgical products company) got scared off by the potential liability of owning a helmet company and spun them off as "Air Helmet, Inc." (that was when the bumper logos changed to first read "Air Helmet, Inc." and then the now-familiar "AiR" logo) around 1986 or so. Schutt Sports bought "Air Helmet, Inc." after they had been independent for about a year (and of course they are trying to move on to their newer designs; the Air Advantage helmet is about the only one of the old Air designs still around).

Around 1999 or so Bike came out with the "Grid Pro" helmet, which was the first of the really lightweight helmets - I belive it was play-tested in 1999 and went on sale in 2000. Bike couldn't keep up with the orders and wound up having to sell the design to Adams around 2001/2002.

John in KY
10-27-2011, 03:00 PM
That basic model Bike helmet is still around; it is now made by Adams. In the early 2000s several NFL players used them; now I think only a couple of kickers still use them (Janikowski with the Raiders does and maybe a few other players).

The helmet in question is of course not a Broncos helmet; I'm not sure if that particular Bike helmet is a varsity (HS, College or Pro) or if it is a youth helmet (they look alike and the top of the line youth helmet did have the air inflators like the varsity helmets).

Intersting point - Bike is now a 2-time loser at the helmet game. They produced the Air Power helmets from their introduction in the 1970s until their ownership (a surgical products company) got scared off by the potential liability of owning a helmet company and spun them off as "Air Helmet, Inc." (that was when the bumper logos changed to first read "Air Helmet, Inc." and then the now-familiar "AiR" logo) around 1986 or so. Schutt Sports bought "Air Helmet, Inc." after they had been independent for about a year (and of course they are trying to move on to their newer designs; the Air Advantage helmet is about the only one of the old Air designs still around).

Around 1999 or so Bike came out with the "Grid Pro" helmet, which was the first of the really lightweight helmets - I belive it was play-tested in 1999 and went on sale in 2000. Bike couldn't keep up with the orders and wound up having to sell the design to Adams around 2001/2002.

Argh - can't edit posts on this board. I forgot to mention that some Denver players did in fact use the Adams helmet over the years. Again, the one posted is not one of them; it is either a high school or middle school helmet or it is a fairly poor replica.

ethanoah
10-28-2011, 03:25 AM
Thanks for the info John!!