PDA

View Full Version : Announcers for WS on Radio and Fox...

xpress34
10-24-2011, 03:36 PM
I was going to mention this earlier, but thought if I did it while the Rangers were down, it might sound like sour grapes...

Anyway, my personal opinion - before the Series even started is that Joe Buck and Tim McCarver should have been replaced for the WS this year (and probably in the past as well - 2004/2006) considering Buck is a former Cardinals announcer and McCarver is a former Cardinals player.

Doesn''t it seem like there might be some bias there???

I'll give them that they have been professional so far, but we will see how it goes when it comes down to the final game.

On another note, I was listening to the game as the wife and I took a drive through the mountains yesterday and after Kinsler's broken bat out, that jack ass of a former MLB Manager Bobby Valentine makes this asinine comment:

"I feel that if a player throws his bat at a ball and hits it and if the thrown bat interferes with the defense and by the rules it's an automatic out, the same should hold true if a player breaks his bat and the broken barrel interferes with the defense. The batter should automatically be out." Really Bobby? Go back to Japan... please.

Just my opinion...

- Smitty

ncbadges
10-24-2011, 05:35 PM
I agree.

ncb

70to66
10-24-2011, 05:55 PM
A.J. & Karros were bias for the rangers on fox. I don't think any announcer should make pics or show loyalty with any team. When it gets down to an elimination game maybe say I think this team will win, but not until that point.

xpress34
10-24-2011, 06:21 PM
A.J. & Karros were bias for the rangers on fox. I don't think any announcer should make pics or show loyalty with any team. When it gets down to an elimination game maybe say I think this team will win, but not until that point.

Neither AJ nor Karros either played or announced for the Rangers in their past, so not quite the same thing.

Yes, announcers are generally biased, but when you have a history with a team, I think that's a little different story, that was my point.

70to66
10-24-2011, 06:55 PM
I agree on the history part, but their job is to announce games and go over stats. Not to show their loyalty to a team or friend. A.J. said early on I have to go with my boy Hamilton or something to that affect.

lakeerie92
10-24-2011, 06:57 PM
Every time Bobby Valentine is mentioned for a managerial position I hope he gets it so we don't have to hear him talk any more. I don't know why his name always comes up though, if you were fired from MLB, fired in Japan, Why would you go back to the top tier?

I also feel the same way about Lou Holtz though. If you bet against his picks every week you would be a very wealthy man. I feel like his BCS championship pick at the beginning of each year is Notre Dame vs South Carolina.

The most biased I have ever heard always seems to be Vern Lundquist and Gary Danielson on CBS any time Alabama plays. They talk endlessly about Bama even if they aren't playing in the game.

Vintagedeputy
10-24-2011, 07:50 PM
Its a damn good thing that Bob Gibson was as dominant as he was in the 60's....

If he struggled, McCarver would have come out to the mound and talked about himself for 45 minutes.

hdavid_27
10-24-2011, 09:06 PM
Tried once to get McCarvers autograph at a game in St Louis, My son and I were the only two people standing there and between the two of us wanted one autograph on an 06 WS ball, McCarver did not even let me get the question out before he said no and rushed into the press entrance at the stadium. Does not seem like a very nice person.