PDA

View Full Version : Move over Reggie, Albert needs to sit beside of you

freddiefreeman5
10-22-2011, 11:05 PM
Pujols just hit his third HR in a single world series game to tie Reggie Jackson.
I am very glad of it. I was tired of hearing "Mr. October" every year.
Jackson never had a good average and only had a lot of power. Always thought he got more credit than his career deserved just because of one game.

freddiefreeman5
10-22-2011, 11:08 PM
I forgot that Babe Ruth was the first to hit 3 in a world series game. Should have known the Babe did it before anyone else. :D

cliffjmp33
10-22-2011, 11:10 PM
I guess some team may throw some big $ at that Pujols guy this winter :rolleyes:

That being said, performing like that in the biggest of stages is unreal. I don't care if it's a 3-2 game or 16-7, that is unbelievable.

gameused
10-22-2011, 11:12 PM
I forgot that Babe Ruth was the first to hit 3 in a world series game. Should have known the Babe did it before anyone else. :D

Babe Ruth did it twice!

freddiefreeman5
10-22-2011, 11:16 PM
Babe Ruth did it twice!
He was a man among boys!

kylehess10
10-23-2011, 12:36 AM
Here's the bat Albert used for all 3 HR's tonight. Can you even imagine what this would go for at auction?

http://s1-03.twitpicproxy.com/photos/large/430751938.jpg

kylehess10
10-23-2011, 12:36 AM
and the batting gloves...

http://s1-02.twitpicproxy.com/photos/large/430759898.jpg

5toolplayer
10-23-2011, 05:43 AM
kylehess10....check your email

yanks12025
10-23-2011, 07:37 AM
But Reggie's three homeruns were better, cause they clinched the world series and were on 3 pitches. And Jackson had a good age, his career post season is .278 but hit .450 in 1977 World Series, yeah thats not a good average huh.

AM
10-23-2011, 07:39 AM
Reggie Jackson is one of those over-bloated, overrated power players who stuck around to hit a milestone (500 HR) and being a Yankee elevates his popularity, or at least, visibility. He was good at nothing else and winning in baseball is NOT the same as winning in the other sports because frankly, it is so heavily dependent on pitching, and the subtle skill and refinement to play the game, especially batting, is unlike any other sport where pure athleticism, for the most part (maybe except Hockey and QB) will get you by. I.E., basketball is clearly the EASIEST sport.

I never considered Reggie an all-time great and that is why HOF credentials, in my opinion, need to be re-evaluated. There should be some sort of defined period of dominance - say 10 years for example - where the player was simply the best, or one of the few best, in the game during that period. A multi-tool player should get greater attention, unless of course, he is just an outright hitting/offensive machine (e.g., Cabrera, Vlad early career, Manny). And OPS is truly a terrific measuring stick for a hitter's ability.

yanks12025
10-23-2011, 07:52 AM
Reggie Jackson is one of those over-bloated, overrated power players who stuck around to hit a milestone (500 HR) and being a Yankee elevates his popularity, or at least, visibility. He was good at nothing else and winning in baseball is NOT the same as winning in the other sports because frankly, it is so heavily dependent on pitching, and the subtle skill and refinement to play the game, especially batting, is unlike any other sport where pure athleticism, for the most part (maybe except Hockey and QB) will get you by. I.E., basketball is clearly the EASIEST sport.

I never considered Reggie an all-time great and that is why HOF credentials, in my opinion, need to be re-evaluated. There should be some sort of defined period of dominance - say 10 years for example - where the player was simply the best, or one of the few best, in the game during that period. A multi-tool player should get greater attention, unless of course, he is just an outright hitting/offensive machine (e.g., Cabrera, Vlad early career, Manny). And OPS is truly a terrific measuring stick for a hitter's ability.

You should look up stats again, cause Reggie had many years of being the best or one of the best in the league. Lets remove Johnny Bench, Joe Morgan, Kirby, McCovey, anyone who didnt have the best stats for 10 years then.

AM
10-23-2011, 08:01 AM
I have no problem with Kirby and McCovey not being included in HOF.

Catchers and middle infielders are not the same as outfielders. Bench was a dominant player at his position. And Morgan was a 2-time MVP & gold glove second baseman - check out his stolen bases, on base pct.

Both were superior players to Reggie Jackson.

The HOF is not perfect - I can draft a list of players who shouldn't be in there, in my opinion.

SkubeBats
10-23-2011, 09:34 AM
I think today would be a good time to test Albert for steroids!!

Bondsgloves
10-23-2011, 09:39 AM
I think today would be a good time to test Albert for steroids!!
No joke, I was thinking the same thing. The guy is huge!:rolleyes:

shoremen44
10-23-2011, 10:03 AM
Kyle,
Where'd you find the pics?

And my guess at the low end would be $100,000

cliffjmp33
10-23-2011, 11:39 AM
Shoremen44,

MLB Authentics has a twitter account, not sure the link offhand, but they posted those last night and have posted oher items along the way with the WS. I'm sure Kyle can provide the link.

Dach0sen0ne
10-23-2011, 11:47 AM
Here is their link:

http://twitter.com/#!/MLB_Authentic (http://twitter.com/#%21/MLB_Authentic)

Also MLB Public Relations:

http://twitter.com/#!/MLB_PR (http://twitter.com/#%21/MLB_PR)

Here is the jersey he wore in case you don't like twitter.

freddiefreeman5
10-23-2011, 01:48 PM
But Reggie's three homeruns were better, cause they clinched the world series and were on 3 pitches. And Jackson had a good age, his career post season is .278 but hit .450 in 1977 World Series, yeah thats not a good average huh.

I was talking about his average during the regular season's.
Jackson only had a .262 lifetime regular season average and only had 100 + RBI 6 times out of 21 years.

freddiefreeman5
10-23-2011, 02:08 PM
I also see how anyone would have thought I was talking about his playoff average instead of his regular season average.

I am not a big believer in great playoff player = great player. The player needs to help his team get to the playoffs too.

sox83cubs84
10-23-2011, 06:16 PM
Nice turnaround by #5...he went from being a goat for his error and his no-show for interviews (with some justification) to making history and tying several World Series records (with total justification).

Dave Miedema

yanks12025
10-23-2011, 06:49 PM
$100,000.... I think thats alittle high. I bet it wouldn't bring over 50k.

MarkakisMania
10-23-2011, 08:57 PM
$100,000.... I think thats alittle high. I bet it wouldn't bring over 50k.

Considering that the Kirk Gibson game used bat from the 88 WS walk off homer brought $575,000 is it unreasonable to assume that a bat used to hit 3 homers in a game in the WS only the 3rd player ever to do that would fetch over $100,000? That seems extremely low end to me as well. While not a walk off homer still a very historic feat not accomplished until last night in 34 years.

There is no doubt that some high end collector would pay an astronomical price to say they have the bat of the greatest modern day player in baseball in their collection.

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/mlb/news/story?id=5805032

yanks12025
10-23-2011, 09:21 PM
That's for a walk off home run, different from 3 home-run game.

MarkakisMania
10-23-2011, 09:41 PM

Different yes which I noted in my response prior but still both are extremely rare in a World Series. I am not saying that this bat would bring $575,000 but I bet it would bring over $100,000 easily. Who would not pay through the nose if they were a high roller for a beyond rare game bat that would probably be MLB authenticated to a 3 homer game but today's greatest player?

MarkakisMania
10-23-2011, 09:47 PM

Ironically there have been 14 total walk off homers in the history of the WS, yet only 4 instances of 3 homer games in the history of the WS. No idea what would trump what in a collectors eyes I guess it depends on the scenario but for the collector who wants the rarest of the rare collectible, and one of a kind memorabilia, I would guess that any of these pieces would command absolute premium dollars.

yanks12025
10-23-2011, 09:51 PM
But to me his 3 home-runs were nothing cause they blew the team out anyway. I'm not saying that t's not special or anything, cause it is. But I think it would have been so much better if the score was actually closer. But to me there's something special about walk-off homeruns, because they win the world series for their team. While Albert's 3 home-runs only helped win the game. I doubt we'll ever see this bat for sale, I'm guessing it's heading to HOF.

Dewey2007
10-24-2011, 02:15 AM
I think you need to look at his stats again. Reggie Jackson helped 11 teams to the playoffs in his 21 year career and was a major contributor on 5 teams that won the WS. Sounds like a great player to me. He didn't play in the 1972 series due to injury but helped the team get there playing into the ALCS. Reggie hit 18 postseason homeruns and 10 of those of were in the WS.

He was in the Top 20 in MVP voting 12 times in his first 15 full seasons of his career, winning the 1973 MVP, which means that he was one of the top players of his era. Reggie hit 3 homeruns in Game 6 of the 1977 WS and actually hit 4 homeruns in a row because hit one in his last official AB in Game 5.

I also see how anyone would have thought I was talking about his playoff average instead of his regular season average.

I am not a big believer in great playoff player = great player. The player needs to help his team get to the playoffs too.

freddiefreeman5
10-24-2011, 06:32 AM
I think you need to look at his stats again. Reggie Jackson helped 11 teams to the playoffs in his 21 year career and was a major contributor on 5 teams that won the WS. Sounds like a great player to me. He didn't play in the 1972 series due to injury but helped the team get there playing into the ALCS. Reggie hit 18 postseason homeruns and 10 of those of were in the WS.

He was in the Top 20 in MVP voting 12 times in his first 15 full seasons of his career, winning the 1973 MVP, which means that he was one of the top players of his era. Reggie hit 3 homeruns in Game 6 of the 1977 WS and actually hit 4 homeruns in a row because hit one in his last official AB in Game 5.
Sorry, but I can read his stats just fine and they don't look at impressive to me as they do to you.
Just because a player wins the MVP one year does not make him one of the top players in his era.

I realize we don't see eye to eye on Jackson and I can live with that. :)

AM
10-24-2011, 07:02 AM
Top 20 MVP voting?
Being among 20 is not dominant.

Playoffs are not the measure of a great player. You don't think Catfish, Vida, Holtzman, Guidry, Gossage, Fingers had anything to do with Reggie's playoff success? They were the reasons.

Reggie was never as good as Bench, Morgan, Yaz (in his prime), Jim Rice, Schmidt, Winfield-- just to name some of his peers.

This is all opinions & debate of course, which make sports fun.

camarokids
10-24-2011, 02:52 PM
IMO, the Pujols homeruns were not in a clutch situation. His team had the lead when he hit all three HR's.

Look what Dan Johnson did for the Rays in the last game of the regular season. The Rays were down to their last strike and he hits a HR to tie the game and send it to extra innings. The Rays really sucked in the playoff's. Maybe next year?

There are many situations where a player has hit a HR in aclutch situation, w/ the game is on the line.

Pujols hit the HR's with no pressure of the game on the line. Josh Hamillton has stunk once again in the World Series. He needs to get it together!

xpress34
10-24-2011, 03:23 PM
Josh Hamillton has stunk once again in the World Series. He needs to get it together!

Camaro -

Ever had a pulled groin muscle? I have. I give Josh credit just for being up walking around, much less running, fielding and swinging the bat...

I'm honestly surprised he's playing, but as the saying goes, sometimes you have to suck it up for the situation at hand.

- Smitty

camarokids
10-24-2011, 03:49 PM
Camaro -

Ever had a pulled groin muscle? I have. I give Josh credit just for being up walking around, much less running, fielding and swinging the bat...

I'm honestly surprised he's playing, but as the saying goes, sometimes you have to suck it up for the situation at hand.

- Smitty

True he is playing hurt. Maybe he should sit and give someone else a chance?

But he stunk in last years WS as well. He went 2 for 20 in 2010 for a .100 batting avg.

He is doing better this WS, he is 2 for 16 with a .125 batting avg. :rolleyes:

Don't get me wrong, I like JH. But he needs to do better when it counts on the biggest stage of MLB!

xpress34
10-24-2011, 05:13 PM
David -

On the other hand, my other guy (former Rockie) Matt Holliday is sucking it up too for the Cardinals...

15 AB, 2 H, 3 BB, 0 RBI, .133 BA

Hambone is about equal with Holliday this year:

16 AB, 2 H, 0 BB, 2 RBI, .125 BA

- Smitty

CollectGU
10-24-2011, 05:54 PM
IMO, the Pujols homeruns were not in a clutch situation. His team had the lead when he hit all three HR's.

Look what Dan Johnson did for the Rays in the last game of the regular season. The Rays were down to their last strike and he hits a HR to tie the game and send it to extra innings. The Rays really sucked in the playoff's. Maybe next year?

There are many situations where a player has hit a HR in aclutch situation, w/ the game is on the line.

Pujols hit the HR's with no pressure of the game on the line. Josh Hamillton has stunk once again in the World Series. He needs to get it together!

His team has to win it all for it to compare, plain and simple. It's like the pats going 18-0 and losing in the suoerbowl. You can't compare them to Dolphins of 72

Dave

Dewey2007
10-24-2011, 07:01 PM
I thought this was interesting:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/leaders/mvp_cya.shtml

higher then your guys Morgan, Yaz, Rice, Bench, and Winfield.

Top 20 MVP voting?
Being among 20 is not dominant.

Playoffs are not the measure of a great player. You don't think Catfish, Vida, Holtzman, Guidry, Gossage, Fingers had anything to do with Reggie's playoff success? They were the reasons.

Reggie was never as good as Bench, Morgan, Yaz (in his prime), Jim Rice, Schmidt, Winfield-- just to name some of his peers.

This is all opinions & debate of course, which make sports fun.

AM
10-24-2011, 07:51 PM
All well and good - do you honestly think Reggie was a better player than those others mentioned?

Maybe Winfield is debatable, but I think he was the better all around player

Lists and awards are not the say all - if we use that list, Eddie Murray is better than Manny, Piazza, Griffey, Brett, Rice, MOrgan, Vlad -- really?

It also has Reggie ahead of Griffey - not in a million years!!!

freddiefreeman5
10-25-2011, 05:22 AM
Reggie Jackton has become one of those players that everyone has heard of because of constant media coverage and praise. Therefore many think he was better than he really was.

legaleagle92481
10-25-2011, 09:10 AM
IMO unless the Cards win the homers are merely a footnote in history and you can't compare them to what Reggie and Ruth did. Pujols despite that game has had some very bad moments in this Series as well. Right now Napoli is in my book the player who has been the most impressive in the Series and unless the Cards come back the probable MVP of it.

As for Reggie. The guy had his flaws but he was a great power hitter. Numbers don't tell the whole story because he played in the 60s, 70s and 80s which was a very depressed offensive era. He was in the top ten in his league in homers 13 times with four homer titles and was runner-up twice. He was in the top ten in RBIs 10 times winning one RBI title. He won one regular season MVP, came in second once and won two World Series MVPs, which I don't believe anyone else has ever done. His batting average is low but Mike Schmidt, Eddie Matthews, Willie McCovey, Harmon Killebrew, Ernie Banks, McGwire, Sosa and Thome all hit 500 homers with an average below .280. The guy struck out more than anyone in history but seven of the top ten guys on the alltime strikeout list had 500 homers or came very close thereto (Stargell and McGriff). The talk of the power hitters of the recent era is also misplaced especially Manny because as we all now know he was using illegal performance enhancers and who knows how long he used such and offensive stats were much higher than when Reggie played overall. Was he a top 50 player all-time? Definitely not but he does belong in the Hall. Look at some of the other guys in there and you can't justify pulling him out.

freddiefreeman5
10-25-2011, 09:32 AM
IMO unless the Cards win the homers are merely a footnote in history and you can't compare them to what Reggie and Ruth did. Pujols despite that game has had some very bad moments in this

As for Reggie. The guy had his flaws but he was a great power hitter. Numbers don't tell the whole story because he played in the 60s, 70s and 80s which was a very depressed offensive era.

Tell that to McCovey, Aaron, Killebrew, Mays, Mantle, Mays, Robinson, Schmidt, Banks, Murry, Stargell, Musial, Matthews, Windfield, Yaz, Kingman, Dawson, Billy Williams, Darrell Evans, Kaline, etc............

AM
10-25-2011, 10:57 AM
Please don't put Mike Schmidt and Reggie Jackson in the same class - arguably the greatest third baseman ever, and one of the game's all-time great two-way players, vs. a power-hitting strikeout machine who did NOTHING else.

I am not advocating taking Reggie out of the Hall, but there needs to be some sort of re-evaluation of truly great players versus those who are very good over a long time, compilers.

Pitchers are a little different, but they too need to have their standards re-evaluated. IMO, guys like Niekro, Sutton, etc. are not HOF pitchers. I know longevity gets rewarded, but it is overrated.

As an aside, the MLB all-century team from 1999 (I think) was a joke - McGwire? Nolan Ryan? Pete Rose? There are others I can't think of right now. Where was Maddux, Barry Bonds, Jimmie Foxx? Pedro & Randy Johnson were still early in their brilliance so I understand they weren't there. Pete Rose's hits are impressive, but he was not nearly the player Frank Robinson, Bonds, were, etc.

I can go on forever... let's stay on topic... Reggie vs. the world...

legaleagle92481
10-26-2011, 11:32 AM
Tell that to McCovey, Aaron, Killebrew, Mays, Mantle, Mays, Robinson, Schmidt, Banks, Murry, Stargell, Musial, Matthews, Windfield, Yaz, Kingman, Dawson, Billy Williams, Darrell Evans, Kaline, etc............

? Most of those guys you name were at the tail end of their careers or retired when Reggie debuted definitely not in their primes. I.E. Mantle, Mays, Musial, Matthews, Banks, McCovey, Billy Williams and Kaline. So I don't see your point. From 1965 to 1990 only George Foster had 50 homers in a season. Compared to the surrounding eras 1990-2005 and 1950-1965 offensive was definitely down overall during 1965-1990. Check the numbers yourself.

legaleagle92481
10-26-2011, 11:38 AM
Please don't put Mike Schmidt and Reggie Jackson in the same class - arguably the greatest third baseman ever, and one of the game's all-time great two-way players, vs. a power-hitting strikeout machine who did NOTHING else.

I am not advocating taking Reggie out of the Hall, but there needs to be some sort of re-evaluation of truly great players versus those who are very good over a long time, compilers.

Pitchers are a little different, but they too need to have their standards re-evaluated. IMO, guys like Niekro, Sutton, etc. are not HOF pitchers. I know longevity gets rewarded, but it is overrated.

As an aside, the MLB all-century team from 1999 (I think) was a joke - McGwire? Nolan Ryan? Pete Rose? There are others I can't think of right now. Where was Maddux, Barry Bonds, Jimmie Foxx? Pedro & Randy Johnson were still early in their brilliance so I understand they weren't there. Pete Rose's hits are impressive, but he was not nearly the player Frank Robinson, Bonds, were, etc.

I was comparing them offensively. They were both power hitters who hit for a low batting average and whiffed alot during the same era. If you include defense I agree there is no comparison. I also agree that the Hall lets in too many guys who just have stats. Niekro, Sutton, Bert Blynn (However you spell that) to me are not HOfers by any strech of the imagination. What it comes down to is people like numbers and the inductions are huge revenue for the Hall and the town of Cooperstown particularly the hotels and restaraunts every year from all the tourists they attract so they want to induct someone every year.

freddiefreeman5
10-26-2011, 03:08 PM
? Most of those guys you name were at the tail end of their careers or retired when Reggie debuted definitely not in their primes. I.E. Mantle, Mays, Musial, Matthews, Banks, McCovey, Billy Williams and Kaline. So I don't see your point. From 1965 to 1990 only George Foster had 50 homers in a season. Compared to the surrounding eras 1990-2005 and 1950-1965 offensive was definitely down overall during 1965-1990. Check the numbers yourself.

You said there wasn't as much offense in the 60's, 70's and 80's. I just listed some of the big homerun hitters. I didn't even mention all the small ball run producers like Rose, Morgan, Brock, etc.........

You can't compare an era of steroid freaks to an era of normal guys. Wonder how many homeruns Mays would have hit on the juice.

I do not recall the steroid era with such affection as you do. I look back at it with disdain.

freddiefreeman5
10-26-2011, 03:11 PM
You are right about some of them being at the end of their careers though. Not all of them, but some.

legaleagle92481
10-26-2011, 03:23 PM
You said there wasn't as much offense in the 60's, 70's and 80's. I just listed some of the big homerun hitters. I didn't even mention all the small ball run producers like Rose, Morgan, Brock, etc.........

You can't compare an era of steroid freaks to an era of normal guys. Wonder how many homeruns Mays would have hit on the juice.

I do not recall the steroid era with such affection as you do. I look back at it with disdain.

How many guys who began their career between 1065 and 1985 hit 500 homers? Three. Mike, Reggie and Murray. In contrast eight players whose careers began between 1945 and 1965 hit 500 and nine whose career began between 1985 and today have reached that number. Only one guy hit 50 homers in the 25 years between 65 and 90. There were eight 50 homer seasons between 1945 and 1965 and over 20 since 1990. I am not a fan of the roid era but the reality is the numbers count.

freddiefreeman5
10-26-2011, 03:32 PM
How many guys who began their career between 1065 and 1985 hit 500 homers? Three. Mike, Reggie and Murray. In contrast eight players whose careers began between 1945 and 1965 hit 500 and nine whose career began between 1985 and today have reached that number. Only one guy hit 50 homers in the 25 years between 65 and 90. There were eight 50 homer seasons between 1945 and 1965 and over 20 since 1990. I am not a fan of the roid era but the reality is the numbers count.
The numbers are inflated in the steroid era. They may count in the record book but not for me.

I understand what you are saying and you stated your position very well. I agree with the numbers.
However, I just don't think Jackson was as good as others do. He hit a lot of HR's but still only managed 5 100+ RBI seasons, only lead the league in RBI's one time, only lead the league in HR's 4 times, hit .262 lifetime, only won 1 MVP, struck out 2597 times, etc........
Take away the 500 HR's and you have Jim Rice.

xpress34
10-26-2011, 03:34 PM
As an aside, the MLB all-century team from 1999 (I think) was a joke - Nolan Ryan? Pete Rose? There are others I can't think of right now.

Pete Rose's hits are impressive, but he was not nearly the player Frank Robinson, Bonds, were, etc.

You brought them up, so I will take a quick side track...

Nolan? I will admit I am biased (xpress34), but he does hold or shares 26 MLB records (which is a record in and of itself). His and Maddux 162 Game Avg is almost identical. I could write a book on Nolan but will refrain. I will say that if Nolan had pitched more in the era of the long reliever and closer, he might have had a few more wins on his resume that Maddux, Clemens and others benefited from having behind them when they pitched.

Pete Rose? Robinson and Bonds could't hold his jock - neither could pretty much any other player in MLB history. Besides the hits, most casual fans don't realize that Pete holds another much more impressive (to me at least) record... played over 500 games at 5 different positions: 1b, 2b, 3b, RF, LF. Michael Young might be the only player that could come close to that having played over 300 games at 3 different positions: 3b, SS, 2b and if he stays healthy, he might add 1b to that list. Valuable to his team as much for his bat as for his ability to fill in where needed. Yes, Bonds and Robinson have more HRs and such, but that isn't the only thing that makes a ball player.

But I digress back to the original topic and let this train get back on it's tracks.

- Smitty

sylbry
10-26-2011, 04:50 PM

Really? The team was put together in 1999. Pedro made his mark that season and continued to for the next few years. Same with Johnson. Putting them on the All Century Team in 1999 would have been laughable.

Maddux. Again, his body of work wasn't complete. Who would have have replaced?

This was the ALL CENTURY TEAM. And the accomplishments of the above three pitchers during the 20th Century didn't make the cut compared to Nolan Ryan and others. Now you could certainly argue who is the better pitcher overall but that is not what the All Century Team was about.

Barry Bonds? Come on already. Again, this is 1999. Bonds was not even a thought. Based on his career through 1998 (as the team was introduced in July 1999, who would you have taken off the list and replaced Bonds with?

Jimmie Foxx... possibly. But who would he have replaced, Lou Gehrig? I don't think so. McGwire, absolutely. But everyone had their heads in the sand at that point so that wouldn't have happened.

AM
10-26-2011, 06:27 PM
xpress34,

I think you are in the minority if you believe Ryan was better than Maddux, or Rose was better than Frank Robinson or Barry Bonds (and those were only the 2 I mentioned). I agree HR's aren't everything, but Robinson and Bonds were much more than power. Defense, base running, OPS, etc. When these skills are combined with power, they are the better players. Rose isn't even the best lead-off hitter - Rickey comes first, and there are arguments for others like Ichiro and maybe Boggs, and those are the only 2 modern ones I can think of right now.

I am not concerned too much with Ryan's win totals, as that is also dependent on team & bullpen (as you mentioned). But, his WHIP is worse and his walk totals are astonishing. If it's not fair to compare power pitcher to finesse (like Maddux) in terms of walks, fine, but when compared to other HOF power pitchers, such as Koufax, Gibson, Carlton, Randy Johnson, Pedro, Ryan's bases on balls are almost comical. I am not saying that he doesn't belong in the Hall, but in my opinion, he doesn't crack my all-time rotation, not even close. Plus, he was arguably never the best pitcher in his league at any point/season in his career, or at least for an extended period of time. And not winning a single CY Young award is a factor as well. Awards aren't perfect, but in a career as long as his, not one??

sylbry,

You may have misread portions of my post. I said that I understand why Pedro and Randy weren't on the All-Century team because it was too early in their careers. And I will take another look at Maddux - he may have had some really good years post-99 and so you may be right, it might have been too early for him as well. I apologize.

And yes, I meant Jimmie Foxx over McGwire. Gehrig belongs, he is a no-brainer. Even Hank Greenberg over McGwire.

Bonds could have absolutely been on the team. He had 3 MVP's, a sack full of Gold Gloves and was the game's best 2-way player at the time. Unless, you want to argue A-Rod (still too early in his career) or Griffey (who was on the team, so that is support for Bonds being on it). And Pete Rose would be the guy I'd remove for Bonds, and some other players too.

AM
10-26-2011, 06:35 PM
And Seaver... where was he? There weren't too many guys better than Tom Terrific... and can we throw the Mets a bone, please?!

xpress34
10-26-2011, 09:05 PM
xpress34,

Plus, he was arguably never the best pitcher in his league at any point/season in his career, or at least for an extended period of time. And not winning a single CY Young award is a factor as well. Awards aren't perfect, but in a career as long as his, not one??

I'll just use one state WAR since it is the big buzzword stat of late:

1972 (1st year w/ Angels)
#7 OVERALL
#4 for Pitchers

1973 AL
#3 OVERALL
#2 for Pitchers

1974 AL
#10 OVERALL
#7 for Pitchers

1977 AL
#2 OVERALL (Behind Rod Carew)
#1 for Pitchers

1981 NL
#5 OVERALL
#3 for Pitchers

And twice in the 90's he was top 10 WAR for Pitchers in AL

His stats in a couple of years with the Angels would have won him a Cy Young using today's standards. Back then, being on a losing team was the kiss of death - not now (see King Felix).

In 1973 Ryan lost the Cy Young to Jim Palmer who was on a 1st Place Team (Orioles) while he pitched for a 4th Place Team (Angels)

Palmer Ryan

W/L 22-9 21-16
G 38 41
GS 37 39
CG 19 26
SHO 6 4
IP 296.1 326.0
SO 158 383
ERA 2.40 2.87
WHIP 0.44 0.55
K/IP 0.53 1.17

Ryan beats him 6 of 10 categories - but pitches for a losing team.

For Reference, here's Felix Hernandez vs David Price last year:

Felix Price

W/L 13-12 19-6
G 34 32
GS 34 31
CG 6 2
SHO 1 1
IP 249.2 208.2
SO 232 188
ERA 2.27 2.72
WHIP 1.057 1.193
K/IP 0.93 0.90

In the categories Ryan won, he DOMINATED Palmer. The four categories Palmer won were slim margins.

In the category Price won, he DOMINATED Felix. None of the categories Felix won were dominating wins. Yet Felix won the CY for a losing team while David price moved onto the Post Season.

Playing for losing franchises (Mets [except '69], Angels and Rangers didn't help him out any in the era in which he pitched.

Also, his single season SO record came in the 1st season of the DH. No small feat that he passed Koufax and didn't get to pitch to any patsy's (pitcher's).

Bonds could have absolutely been on the team. He had 3 MVP's, a sack full of Gold Gloves and was the game's best 2-way player at the time. Unless, you want to argue A-Rod (still too early in his career) or Griffey (who was on the team, so that is support for Bonds being on it). And Pete Rose would be the guy I'd remove for Bonds, and some other players too.

Outside of Griffey, you want to remove a guy who played CLEAN for Juicers??? (Bonds and A-Rod) Besides that, Rose played to win for the team, not for HIMSELF like those to self righteous @$$e$.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions - and ours disagree - just wanted to make sure you (like others out there) realize that in the early '70's Ryan was about as dominant a pitcher as there was in MLB.

All the best -

Smitty